Web
Analytics
Report - - War Memorial Hospital, Melton Mowbray - July 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - War Memorial Hospital, Melton Mowbray - July 2016

matt09

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Went to see the remains of this place before it disappears completely. Managed to avoid getting caught by a workman who returned to the site mid explore.

History:

The first house to be built south of Melton's River Eye, Hill House was built pre 1760 by Mr Hind, and let to the Earl and Countess of Chesterfield. In 1840 Colonel Charles Wyndham moved to Melton to follow his passion for foxhunting. Col Wyndham rented Hill House and renamed it Wyndham Lodge, in the hunting tradition.

In 1852 Col Wyndham was made Governor of the Tower of London and vacated Melton to his regret. In 1869 the house was rented by William Chaplin, who subsequently purchased it in 1870. Chaplin preferred the location to the building, and had the entire house rebuilt in Wartnaby stone by R. Winter Johnson of Melton, in 1874. Chaplin lived in the house for some 30 years

The house and 15 acres of parkland were purchased by Col Richard Dalgleish in 1920, as a gift to the town, to become Melton & District Cottage Hospital. At the time, the local authority was looking for a suitable memorial to honour those who had fallen during the Great War, so in 1921 Wyndham Lodge finally became Melton & District War Memorial Hospital.

Photographs of the time show the Hospital grounds covered in a variety of flourishing trees; the tranquillity of the setting must have provided a welcome relief for those recovering from enemy action overseas.

In 1948 the Hospital was subsumed into the National Health Service, and has remained so to the present day. With the building of a new hospital in the town, the War Memorial Hospital is surplus to requirements and its present owners, Melton, Rutland & Harborough Primary Care Trust (PCT), are now disposing of the site.

27744495486_8829a7b457_b.jpg


27167415223_477b66ccb3_b.jpg

27677824512_3f1c714906_b.jpg

27704019301_34a0a04fb7_b.jpg


27744466306_1766e98588_b.jpg


27167526053_245aec767d_b.jpg

27166632634_560fc3f784_b.jpg


27704194691_89da463b27_b.jpg


27166636704_54d1ff6b71_b.jpg


27678021952_e71a0358af_b.jpg


27167554823_01f278d61a_b.jpg