real time web analytics
Report - - Wedding Cave Mine, North Wales - Aug 09 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wedding Cave Mine, North Wales - Aug 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

54Strat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Started out as a recce as I had heard of this place a few weeks back. After tramping up and down a couple of hills, nearly giving up then finding a 'steep bank no access' sign I found it with little time left for a proper mooch.

There's not much history I can find, other than this mine has probably been worked for lead, maybe from even roman times. There's evidence of a roman settlement about a mile from here. There's also one curiosity here, a rare mineral, Carbonate-cyanotrichite, and this place has the UK's second recorded occurrence. It forms 'sky-blue crusts of interlocking spheroidal aggregates of minute feathery crystals in the wall-rock of the underground workings.' Couldn't find any, though it might be under the graff that's everywhere here.

It's not very large, going back maybe 70 or 80 metres, with quite a few short passages going off from quite a few levels. There was only time for a couple of photos before it went dark outside and I didn't fancy scrambling back up the hill in the dark.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00009.jpg