real time web analytics
Report - - Welsh Chapels Roundup - 2016/2017 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Welsh Chapels Roundup - 2016/2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I've explored quite a lot of Welsh chapels over the last few years and most of them, because of their inherent small size, I don't have nearly enough in the way of photos of to make a meaty standalone thread out of. I love them, many of them are very photogenic and have been empty for a number of years and all of them seem to have enough differences to make them all interesting in some way. You can't help but find these places in Wales as wherever you go every town or village appears to have a chapel in some sort of disrepair whether it's still being used, has been converted or is sat derelict.

Dinas Noddfa Chapel, Swansea, November 2016

Dinas Noddfa is located in the Plasmarl area of Swansea. The chapel was founded in 1824 and rebuilt a couple of times before being rebuilt in 1884 in it's current Italian Romanesque design. It closed around 2007 and has been derelict ever since, and is Grade II listed. The pews at ground level have been stripped out and the attached school hall is little more than a shell but the balcony level shows just how lovely it used to be.

My shots from here aren't the best, it was a very overcast grey November morning and available light was poor to say the least!

30866404092_d7e822054c_b.jpg

30866434772_4f1e0556e5_b.jpg

30947387616_286b8a8332_b.jpg

30947380456_26afca55fe_b.jpg

30680981260_1bb4d44ecd_b.jpg

Calvaria Baptist Chapel, Llanelli, February 2017

I had originally planned to see this place on the same trip I visited Dinas Noddfa on, however at the location before Calvaria - which was ultimately a failure - I badly twisted my ankle and by the time we'd arrived at Calvaria I realised I could barely walk so the plans were quickly shelved much to my disappointment.

Calvaria, or Calfaria, depending on where you look, was opened in 1881 and rebuilt in 1888. It operated for over a century before closing in the early 2000s. It's suffered quite badly at the hands of the local morons, one of the staircases up to the balcony level has long been burned out, the smoke damage from which has given the whole chapel a dark grey colouring. Add the large pigeon infestation into the mix and it's pretty damn grim in there.

32585173311_3944965c99_b.jpg

32328485700_12a3aabfae_b.jpg

32585182901_88d0b408d4_b.jpg

32328479940_43013a858b_b.jpg

32555326002_06310ab5f4_b.jpg

Capel Garth, Porthmadog May 2017

Capel Garth, a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, was built in 1898 on Bank Place in Porthmadog. It closed in 1999 and has since been converted into apartments.

I was tipped off about this one whilst in the area so we swung past and had a look. I had been told before arriving that stripping out work had begun a couple of weeks earlier prior to it's imminent conversion but I didn't let that put me off. After finding the way in I'd been told about sealed shut I left Landie Man on the street and went for a closer look around, soon enough I spotted an alternate way in with a sizable drop on the other side but we made it stick, it helped that the stripping crew had left some nice large box speakers in the basement which definitely assisted in the exit!

I went in first and after a bit of a faff found the way up to the ground floor level, and I was heartbroken to see how much had been stripped out. All the pews had gone, along with most of the balcony apart from the section along the front wall. However the ceiling was still intact and absolutely beautiful, which was some saving grace at least.

34993637926_ace146178a_b.jpg

34869713502_ca405945fe_b.jpg

34901813401_dc33646c5f_b.jpg

34190040964_95bb237a04_b.jpg

Salem Methodist Chapel, Arthog May 2017

Probably my favourite little Welsh chapel out of all the ones I've visited, and I know it's a good few other people's favourites as well. The light inside is so nice, the decay so photogenic, and it's really well tucked away.

Salem was built originally in 1833 and rebuilt in 1868 in the gothic gable-entry style to plans by the renowned and prolific chapel architect Thomas Thomas of Landore. It closed in 1973 and has remained derelict ever since, slowly but surely falling apart and collapsing. Thanks to it's location nestled between a main road and a road on a hill behind it, at some points you're in the weird situation of being able to watch people walking up the road through the holes in the roof.

34682423380_fa35263856_b.jpg

34682422300_1d7865b7ce_b.jpg

34682422570_011ac65113_b.jpg

34682422510_4384956360_b.jpg

34682422430_003a6b3122_b.jpg

Tin Tabernacle, Corris Uchaf May 2017

Quite a well known little ruin, a rare surviving Welsh tin chapel in the middle of nowhere. There isn't a lot of readily available info about this place but it was built as a subsidiary tabernacle for the Holy Trinity Church in nearby Corris.

The last I heard it had been stripped out and/or demolished I really don't know, I know soon after I went someone took up residence inside in a tent.

34262994373_331b64acd9_b.jpg

35033889316_f41a0979e7_b.jpg

Capel Saron, near Abertridwr November 2017

This is a tiny, remote single roomed chapel in the middle of nowhere next to a holiday caravan park - it's the smallest abandoned building I've ever photographed that much is for sure.

26469373009_cc91a7839d_b.jpg

26469373669_3b6ba634c1_b.jpg

26469375389_8b091fe1b3_b.jpg

Beerseba Independent Chapel, near Foel November 2017

An accidental find, we were heading along the A458 and spotted an inviting looking derelict building which turned out to be a lovely little chapel still with many things in it. Beerseba was built in 1805 and rebuilt in 1843 in the Vernacular style with a long-wall entry plan. It closed in 2002 and has been derelict since.

24389462458_d4cce59ae6_b.jpg

38228828802_8cfe4e06b4_b.jpg

24389460808_4c4127e116_b.jpg

Thanks for looking as always. When we're allowed back into Wales again I hope to be able to shoot more of these.​

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Lovely set of photographs there. What a shame Capel Garth was gutted for a load of dull characterless apartments. Too often buildings listed status only really applies to the exterior and the developers can rip out everything inside, especially in churches where the internal fittings are often of far more importance then the outer walls. I just hope all the fine woodwork found a decent home and didn't just end up on the bonfire. At the rate we're going there will be many more great examples of our religious heritage lost for ever, while the number of mosques and whatever only rises

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
nice set here, Must get around to visiting more as ive added quite alot to my map, you done the one in Dinas Mawddwy? That would be my personal favourite but capel salem is very nice

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Lovely set of photographs there. What a shame Capel Garth was gutted for a load of dull characterless apartments. Too often buildings listed status only really applies to the exterior and the developers can rip out everything inside, especially in churches where the internal fittings are often of far more importance then the outer walls. I just hope all the fine woodwork found a decent home and didn't just end up on the bonfire. At the rate we're going there will be many more great examples of our religious heritage lost for ever, while the number of mosques and whatever only rises
it is a shame but there quite a few similar examples in the area of similar chapels still remaining such as Engedi in caernarfon and Salem in Pwllheli, lets hope they are saved as some what similar style as they are.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
Nice that mate.
The Port chapel crews were back in before lockdown working inside so guess there's hardly anything left, and it was me and a few others that walked into the tin chapel to find a tent inside with a supply of beers, all the overgrowth has been cut back around it now, so guess it's been brought.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User

I saw a brochure for one of the apartments inside Garth and it could have been taken in any featureless boring new housing estate, nothing inside to show what it once was :( the wood was all being cut up but it looked like they were saving the ornate panels as they were left intact, hopefully they found a new home somewhere.

nice set here, Must get around to visiting more as ive added quite alot to my map, you done the one in Dinas Mawddwy? That would be my personal favourite but capel salem is very nice

Not done the Dinas Mawddwy one, will have to look into that!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely collection, got to love and admire the architecture of churches and chapels. Good little write up on each. :thumb

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
That's a lovely set of chapels; I meant to check a few out when I was in south wales a few months back, but the rain got to me and I scrubbed it!

drummergirl_90

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely collection. Love me some Welsh chaplets. Tin chapley boi is stripped now and a gentleman is doing it up for his own use.

Who has read this thread (Total: 141) View details