real time web analytics
Report - - West Derby Library aka Lister Library, Liverpool, August 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - West Derby Library aka Lister Library, Liverpool, August 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Man In Black

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
On a recent trip to Liverpool my friend Klare told me about this library and she said it was like Fort Knox so a quick search and looks like the last report from this place was around 2010 so we head on over and walk around and to her word the place is sealed tight.
I spot what looks like a tricky way so I proceed and tell Klare if I get in ill see if there's a way of opening it from the inside, I make the not so easy climb and get in and as I drop to the floor I here BEEP BEEP BEEP, great the place is alarmed and only 4 minutes away from a police station so I make to climb once again and get off.

fast forward 2 weeks I'm heading back to Liverpool with my friend Alan and decide to head over to the library and see if the way in has been fixed which would mean the place is watched and looked after.
we walk around and yep they have placed a grill over my entry, Alans come along way and I didn't want to let the guy down so I make the very tricky climb once again and it seems the grill is only placed over so we both get in and this time avoid that sneaky sensor we get a few shots have a quick look and realise that there's no way we can get around the building without triggering that sensor so we both go for it the BEEP BEEP BEEPing starts again we both split up into opposite sides of the building and start shooting as fast as we could as we don't know how long before response will be, we both pass each other shoot the other ends and then get out as fast as we could all in all a success, thanks for reading and looking.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

THE HISTORY Part.

West Derby Library (known locally as Lister Drive Library) was established with funding from an Andrew Carnegie (Philanthropist and Industrialist) grant, and opened in 1905. The Library is a one-storey brick built structure with stone dressings, a slate roof and an octagonal turret and was designed by Thomas Shelmerdine. The Library originally contained a lending library and a number of reading rooms. Sadly, following health and safety concerns, the library closed in 2006 and has remained vacant since. This period of un-occupation has resulted in the library being subject to theft, vandalism and neglect.

In the spirit of Hidden Liverpool I am pleased to share the following exciting news..........

The ‘Lister Steps Carnegie Community Hub’ project (funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund) is currently in its development stage, however once completed Lister Steps aim to relocate their existing childcare services into the building. The completed Library will also serve as a centre for community engagement, a ‘hub’ offering refreshments, activities and training opportunities for the local community and visitors.

The project will shortly begin a period of consultation with stakeholders and members of the community. The project aims to host a number of heritage activities in the near future such as tours of the Library and an oral history project.

skgogosfan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done for getting in here and getting such great pics despite having to race around before Plod showed up! This is a magnificent building and it's really great news that it's being repaired and opened up again. That main area looks like a banquetting hall from a castle,not a district library,and the open square landing under the glass dome is a lovely bit of design! I love all that woodwork and railings ; the only question is whether this or Everton Valley is the better disused library lol.

(in fact,one could make it a trio of disused libraries by adding Lodge Lane with its bonus of derelict substation and baths next door...)

Dave.

The Man In Black

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well done for getting in here and getting such great pics despite having to race around before Plod showed up! This is a magnificent building and it's really great news that it's being repaired and opened up again. That main area looks like a banquetting hall from a castle,not a district library,and the open square landing under the glass dome is a lovely bit of design! I love all that woodwork and railings ; the only question is whether this or Everton Valley is the better disused library lol.

(in fact,one could make it a trio of disused libraries by adding Lodge Lane with its bonus of derelict substation and baths next door...)

Dave.
Cheers man lister is in way better shape than Everton I've been back to both recently but I do love everyone's white arches ceiling