real time web analytics
Report - - West Ham County Asylum (Goodmayes), London, July 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - West Ham County Asylum (Goodmayes), London, July 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey Guys,

Posted this one here as it’s still live.

The Explore

Visited this place with AndrewB and Dicky and I’m glad we’ve finally cracked it. Big thanks to Andrew and Dicky though, as they've done massive amounts of research on this place and made it possible. Some of the site is very much live and after being spotted by two workers we made a hasty escape out the main entrance brushing straight past security! Most of the wards appear to have been modernized as it’s still used by the NHS for training, however if you look closely the signs of the old asylum can still be read, with some original features buried under years of paint. Sadly a number of wards were locked down tight, although looking through the windows didn’t suggest there was much left. On the plus side lots of amazing long corridors!

History

Following the Local Government act in 1890, West Ham became a country borough and so began work on constructing its own asylum: West Ham Borough Asylum. Architect Lewis Angell in 1894 prepared a ‘compact arrow’ asylum for 600 patients, including water tower, main hall, mortuary, chapel, male western wards and female eastern wards, which was finally completed 3rd August 1901. This was the only asylum Angell built and despite it's standardised overall plan, the design does include a number of differences, such as D & E blocks having day rooms facing west and blocks 4-5 facing east as opposed to the more common south. In the 1920s the asylum was doubled with 7 wards and a new admission hospital as demand for more bed rose. Yet despite this increase in size, Goodmayes remains smaller than most others of its kind.

Under the National Health Service the hospital was renamed Goodmayes, with the catchment area being altered accordingly. A new hospital was opened in 1993 just to the north of the site beginning the ‘close down’ of the Edwardian asylum.
The hospital is still very much in use, with a lot of the former wards being used for staff training. Currently the boiler house, laundry and some of the kitchens continue to provide service to King George’s Hospital. The current plan is to redevelop the site for continued mental health services, retaining the administration building, recreation hall and a few wards.

d64c797b.jpg

0c1c92d0.jpg

ee62366a.jpg

1a2f31ac.jpg

71bf640c.jpg

cba08070.jpg

fd998719.jpg

423e3c1b.jpg

ef64bffb.jpg

bfc9c9b0.jpg

255a921b.jpg

03ee2cde.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate.
I had this on my to do list last week but was advised it's not a daytime mooch due to live site, so extra points coming your way ; )

Berserker

Back to it...
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate.
I had this on my to do list last week but was advised it's not a daytime mooch due to live site, so extra points coming your way ; )
Not a good idea to go during the daytime then no? Good thing I prefer doing this at night :D

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
The site was certainly partially live when we went with new equipment etc, some of the wards have been mothballed.
Worth the effort.