real time web analytics
Report - - West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum (High Royds) - Leeds - July 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum (High Royds) - Leeds - July 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJwakefield18

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

Decided to visit, the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, High Royds, in Menston near Leeds. I was visiting with Casper & TT (non members of 28DL)

HISTORY
High Royds Hospital is a former psychiatric hospital south of the village of Menston, West Yorkshire, England. The hospital is located in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough as the border with the City of Bradford metropolitan borough passes between the hospital and the village. It was first opened on 8 October, 1888 as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum, and was closed in stages between 25 February, 2003 and June of the same year.

The hospital once contained a library, a surgery, a dispensary, butcher's, dairies, baker's, a sweetshop, an upholster's, a cobbler's, spacious grounds, a ballroom and even a railway. The patients lived in Nightingale wards (named after Florence Nightingale), rather than the individual accommodation found in more recent mental health units.

THE VISIT
Upon arrival from Leeds we decided to drive upto the front gate, we were parked in the main car park and were been watched by a Range Rover from the new development behind us.

So we decided to drive around the back and park in car park behind the flats. We then proceeded to walk around the complex looking for a suitable entry point, we took over an hour walking around an only saw 2 security guards all night. the place was like a ghost town :tumbleweed EXCELLENT!

EQUIPMENT;
Photos were taken using a range of;
Nikon D3, Nikon D300, Nikon D70, Kodak Z740, Apple iPhone4 & HTC Desire
For a change i manage not to leave the date stamp on, or leave the SLR at home... :D

a.jpg

B.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

G1.jpg

G2.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

I2.jpg