real time web analytics
Western Park Open Air School, Leicester - July 2013 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Western Park Open Air School, Leicester - July 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
When I reported on the air raid shelter a couple of months ago the school was sealed. I’ve been back … a few times… and finally managed to access a couple of areas.

In the process I managed to set off alarms so sorry for the poor hand held pics but I was running like a little girl at the same time as being excited at finally being inside. :rolleyes:

Security turned up at the gate while I was taking the last shot, but I managed to hop out as he was unlocking the gate.

Western Park Open Air School was built in the 1930’s, following medical principles based on those of sanatoria: fresh air, rest, exercise and good food were keys to health.

Pupils spent as much time on outdoor activities as possible, even sleeping in the playground every afternoon.

Glazed all around, the chalet-style classrooms, and the hall, could be opened up to the air and sunlight.

Another novel feature of the school was a spray (shower) room, not just for cleanliness but as hydrotherapy, supposed to stimulate and strengthen the body.

The school allowed pupils, with respiratory and other debilitating illnesses to access education

The school closed in 2005 with some pupils being integrated into main-stream schools and some moving to the other special schools in Leicester.

Planning Permission was applied for in 2010 for change of use to assisted living accommodation (retirement homes).

This would have retained 1 building, converted 2 and demolished 6.

Local opinion was that it would be “unsuitable development in a public park†and would “generate an unacceptable level of traffic in a public parkâ€.

The application was withdrawn.

It’s in pretty good nick, but apart from the buildings themselves I didn’t find anything left of interest.

It’s a long thin site with the admin and canteen at one end and classrooms down the side of a grass playing field.

1.jpg

Staff kitchen

2.jpg

Medical room

3.jpg

4.jpg

Typical classroom. Note the huge opening windows – reminiscent of St Gerard’s, Coleshill.
5.jpg

Domestic science room

6.jpg

7.jpg

Covered walkways run behind all of the buildings

8.jpg

Dining room. Again most of the wall is opening windows.

9.jpg

Not the most photogenic site but I really liked it.​