real time web analytics
Report - - Weston On Trent ROC Post, Staffordshire - February 2016 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Weston On Trent ROC Post, Staffordshire - February 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This ones a 1991 closure, located on a small hill with all original access from the road long gone. This one was always locked in previous years, however it is now unlocked and the hatch is completely detached. Internally it is in very good condition, with siren crate, maps, ration box, tool board, and numerous other items remaining. It also had an interesting home made fan on the vent, along with the associated control panel.

25113632765_37962475f3_c.jpg

24746029009_7584acb7eb_c.jpg

Old Git

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This ones a 1991 closure, located on a small hill with all original access from the road long gone. This one was always locked in previous years, however it is now unlocked and the hatch is completely detached. Internally it is in very good condition, with siren crate, maps, ration box, tool board, and numerous other items remaining. It also had an interesting home made fan on the vent, along with the associated control panel.

25113632765_37962475f3_c.jpg

24746029009_7584acb7eb_c.jpg
Is that Dusty Bin laying dead in the compound?

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There were always guard cows evey time I went in the past, but they had vanished this time!

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There were always guard cows evey time I went in the past, but they hd vanished this time!

Bobblehead2016

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This one had the security plate on the fsm pipe as well so you couldn't even cam it. And it had guard cows....

Bobblehead2016

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Goldi87 - was this damp ? It looks like there are duckboards in the photo and the fan might have been to shift the damp.

Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Goldi87 - was this damp ? It looks like there are duckboards in the photo and the fan might have been to shift the damp.

From what I can recall it wasn't bad at all, but I think it must have suffered a bit in the past. The fan, staining on the walls, duckboard, and blown concrete all certainly point to that being the case.

Observer41

28DL Member
28DL Member
I recognise that post. I should do, I served there in the 1980’s and was responsible for the fan and the charging instrument panel made mostly from GEC’s finest components . Two reasons for the modifications. The fan which came out of a car heater was there to ensure a quick air change and contrary to what you may think, it did get a bit stuffy down there at times. Also some folk used to smoke so an air change was desirable. We had a second battery to run the fan so as not to drain the main post battery. We also found that the official method of charging the battery was a pain to say the least so we fitted a plug at the top of the shaft with a fly lead on the generator. The panel allowed us to switch between batteries and to monitor the charge rate., and control the fan. All highly unofficial and frowned on by group, but it seems it remained until the end. In earlier years before my time, the post did suffer from flooding and was re excavated and re tanked. It no longer flooded. Those tiles were missing from the ceiling from the mid 1980’s and were never replaced

Last edited:

Toodlecat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I recognise that post. I should do, I served there in the 1980’s and was responsible for the fan and the charging instrument panel made mostly from GEC’s finest components . Two reasons for the modifications. The fan which came out of a car heater was there to ensure a quick air change and contrary to what you may think, it did get a bit stuffy down there at times. Also some folk used to smoke so an air change was desirable. We had a second battery to run the fan so as not to drain the main post battery. We also found that the official method of charging the battery was a pain to say the least so we fitted a plug at the top of the shaft with a fly lead on the generator. The panel allowed us to switch between batteries and to monitor the charge rate., and control the fan. All highly unofficial and frowned on by group, but it seems it remained until the end. In earlier years before my time, the post did suffer from flooding and was re excavated and re tanked. It no longer flooded. Those tiles were missing from the ceiling from the mid 1980’s and were never replaced
Interesting little story, thanks for sharing :thumb