real time web analytics
Question - - Which camera bag/backpack do you use for exploring? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Which camera bag/backpack do you use for exploring?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
I did have a look and couldn't see a similar thread. I currently use a Kata DR-456i, one of the older ones I think. Really good for what I use. However I have a trip to chernobyl soon and so I'm looking for something I can access without having to put down on the floor. So, just wondered what other people use.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Without a doubt the best bag is a Lowe Pro Off-road. They don't make them any more though. I currently use a Lowepro photosport 200, it's comfy and practical, but not robust enough.

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Shame they stopped making those! I haven't seen anything similar in their current range. That Photosport 200 looks good, quite big though for regular exploring (for me anyway).

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah the Photosport is plenty big enough for a day out. It's made of a really light material though, which is great if you're not crawling through broken glass and rusty nails.

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
The slingshot bags are quite popular, I don't get on with them myself. I'm going to try one of these out though...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowepro-P..._Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item4acfb52a5c

May or may not be original though.

Looks good that, the sort of thing I've been looking at really, the shoulder bags look quite good for exploring.

I own this, its a quality pack for a full day out, pretty sure you can get it cheaper though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005O9YMM4/?tag=networkmechan-21

Also this but its not really big enough for a full day out if you plan on bringing other stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003656Q7C/?tag=networkmechan-21

I like that Fastpack one!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Plenty of Chinese copies on eBay as well, probably the same build quality, if not from the exact same factory.

The only thing that has been lacking in all these bags is a decent way to carry tripods. The off-road has a decent and secure place by removing one of the lens cases, the Photosport has a dedicated side pocket and fixings. The little fold out pockets aren't very good and are just a marketing afterthought I reckon.

Surely it's something that should be very high on your properties when choosing a bag?

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Plenty of Chinese copies on eBay as well, probably the same build quality, if not from the exact same factory.

The only thing that has been lacking in all these bags is a decent way to carry tripods. The off-road has a decent and secure place by removing one of the lens cases, the Photosport has a dedicated side pocket and fixings. The little fold out pockets aren't very good and are just a marketing afterthought I reckon.

Surely it's something that should be very high on your properties when choosing a bag?

Both the lowepro bags have tripod mounts on the side

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User

Well most tripod mounts are either on the very back which I can't stand as it gets caught on everything or mounted on the side. On the side is better I've found but it would be nice to have an internal section, but then that limits the size of tripod you can carry. This is why I've gone for a travel tripod, however it's a very sturdy one but quite compact.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The Lowepro 102 and the previous 100 have tripod mounts on the sides

They are perfect for drains and crawling up 3/4ft p00p pipes and confined manhole shafts

Downside is they store very little, and find there is never any room for the Kronies

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Sort of tripod mounts.

There is a pull out pouch on the side that the tripod sits in and a strap and clip that clamps it all in place at the top, as Ojay says the 102 is perfect for small trips hence using the 250 for full days. Each to their own I guess.

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I hear what your saying but look at the following picture (not mine btw)...

DSC_0050-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg

The bag on the right, that tripod is never going anywhere, the tripod holder is a non-faff sturdy design, I'm dubious about the method shown on the left. Ever had any problems with the tripod falling out, under any circumstance however extreme?

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
I know what you mean yeah, the pouch on the side method the tripod can come out sometimes, I make sure the strap is through the tripod at the top so if it does it's still not going anywhere.
The 102 has a strap on the front as well as the side and similar to yours on the right and I know some people prefer that option.