real time web analytics
Question - - White coppice mine | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - White coppice mine

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dave_508

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been mooching up around white coppice (chorley) and I came across a old mine entrance. I didn't have any type of light with me to go and check it out and seeing as I was on my own and it really is off the beaten track I didn't fancy taking any chances. Not sure if it's a air shaft with a huge drop or if it is a entrance. It's along black brook up from the cricket club you can't miss it. Has anyone got any information about this entrence? I think there was a lot of lead mining around this area back in the day, any info would be great and even a meet and mooch would be cool

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
There was some lead mining on Anglezark Moor and a possibly some sandstone mines. Anything else in the Chorley area were coal mines and would stay well clear if this is the case. I can't see anything near the location you have mentioned, but White Coppice was know for it's lead mining before the cotton mills it would seem.

Dave_508

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
All as I can see on os map is (shaft) there was boot prints going in and out and looked like there is some sort of activity there but with out my phone or any type of torch I couldn't see very far in. I would say it is on the farback end of Angelzark not a million mile away from lead mines cluth so it could be connected

urban

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was mined for copper, lead, barium and coal. There're trial shafts and bell pits up there too.

RachelLi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think I have been in the one you mentioned - is it the one in the gorge? I had to crawl in and there wasn't much to see after all that! :')

Dave_508

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think I have been in the one you mentioned - is it the one in the gorge? I had to crawl in and there wasn't much to see after all that! :')

Yes that's the one, and oohhh I was hoping there would be something worth seeing, there's a couple of mines around rivington that are impressive and I was hoping this would be as well