real time web analytics
Report - - Whittingham Asylum, Lancashire, April 14 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whittingham Asylum, Lancashire, April 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Another road trip planed. The usual 4am set off time and we were on our way :) This was my 2nd visit to this old girl and I was certainly shocked at the change in her. As everyone now knows demolishing is well on it's way. They are obviously keen to get her down as they even started working nearly as early as us. Had about an hour before we had to make a hasty retreat due to a digger turning up lol.
Visited with AuntieKnickers, The Stig and Skapunkmetalskater

History - pinched from my first report
In 1866, the three Lancashire lunatic asylums at Prestwich, Rainhill and Lancaster were deemed to be full. Extra accommodation was urgently needed and to this end the building of Whittingham Asylum began in 1869. The hospital was designed by Henry Littler of Manchester, Architect to the Lancashire Asylums Board and built of red brick made from clay dug on site. The buildings followed a plan of multiple quadrangles with inter-connecting corridors radiating from a long axial corridor section.
The hospital officially opened on 1 April 1873. The large complex (later known as St. Luke's Division) had an initial capacity of 1000 inmates and included an Anglican church, a Catholic chapel, a recreation hall and a large farm estate. In 1878 a new annexe (later known as St. John's Division) was built on 68 acres of land to the north of the site. The annexe was completed in 1880 and accommodated 115 patients and, by the special agreement of the Postmaster General, the hospital's own dedicated Post Office. In 1884, a sanatorium was established in the grounds for patients with infectious diseases.In 1892 works began for the grounds to be illuminated by electric lamps; these works were completed in 1894. Around this time an annexe called Cameron House was opened to the northwest of the main building, joined in 1912 by a third annexe, later to become known as St Margaret's division. By 1915 the number of inmates was recorded as 2,820 - more than double the asylum's original capacity.

Pics -
whittinghamapril14046WM_zps466c7672.jpg

whittinghamapril14044WM_zpsb347a091.jpg

whittinghamapril14042WM_zpsb1360f5e.jpg

whittinghamapril14002WM_zps7e0f98a6.jpg

whittinghamapril14032WM_zps04540603.jpg

whittinghamapril14021WM_zpsc048d83e.jpg

whittinghamapril14024WM_zps1284fb4a.jpg

whittinghamapril14009WM_zps0458d65e.jpg

Enjoy :)

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I only live about seven or eight miles away from this site but I've still never bloody been and it's gettin' to late :( Nice shots there, thanks for postin' :thumb

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I only live about seven or eight miles away from this site but I've still never bloody been and it's gettin' to late :( Nice shots there, thanks for postin' :thumb
Ah Will Knot you are jokin, you have certainly missed a treat :)

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member

How the hell did you manage that!? :rolleyes: I live on the other side of the country and have been twice - whenever I'm out for a walk on a sunny summer's evening with nowt much else do to, I WISH there was an abandoned asylum a few miles away, you lucky sod!