real time web analytics
Report - - William Halley & Co, Wallace Craigie Jute Works, Dundee July 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - William Halley & Co, Wallace Craigie Jute Works, Dundee July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
3-storey and attic 8-bay (7-bay front due to skewed E gable) fireproof flax, later jute mill, extended by 10-bays to E in 1864-5, rubble-built.S elevation: 17-bay with 1865 section slightly advanced. Most ground floor windows blocked. 2 bays at W to 1865 engine have round-headed ground floor doors and 1st floor windows. Main cornice and corniced gutter. N elevation of 1834-6 mill is intact, with small windows at ground floor, but later buildings added to ground and 1st floors of 1864-5 block. 2nd floor and attic are intact with gabled dormer hoist and raised lift-housing. W elevation: 2-window with large windows at 1st floor to 1830s engine house and blind stair bay at N. Oculus, skews, skewputts and ball finial to gable. E elevation: blank with doors to adjoining narrower 3-storey winding and dressing block (rebuilt after 1945 fire). Ball finial missing. Some windows are original 12-pane sash and case, most are modern metal-framed. Slate roof with skylights, interrupted at join between E and W mills.

The last functioning textile works in the city to be owned by the original firm, William Halley and Sons Ltd. Built by a partnership of William Halley, Robert Brough and James Gilroy, all local manufacturers. Production transferred to Wester Gourdie in 2004. (Historic Scotland)

Once again a bit late here, it's a lovely solidly built mill but has been virtually stripped bare ready for a conversion that has as of yet not happened.

I was hoping for some epic hiding in cubbies, and indeed there were a few little hidey holes, but the epic was a tad lacking, all I found were some bundles of raw jute and a few very old wooden rollers from the looms. There was even a blocked up staircase, but all this yielded were a few old paint tins and a 50's newspaper :( Still I'm glad I got to have a poke around before it gets flattened or converted.

Clebby, I told you to wait in the car ;)

DSC_1589_zpskepxxnrq.jpg

DSC_1582_zps9gfh6z2k.jpg

There was a whole stack of these rollers hiding in a stone alcove, obviously once for winding sheet jute into rolls

DSC_1592_zpsfhssvnko.jpg
DSC_1585_zps1jegwm0y.jpg

What the place was all about...
DSC_1593_zpshbj9hswf.jpg

DSC_1602_zpsiaoezvmh.jpg
DSC_1603_zpsjmzljltr.jpg

DSC_1595_zpstwljd0xz.jpg

DSC_1596_zps3qmpdwo2.jpg
DSC_1598_zpsvlada0zt.jpg

A bit of "raw" jute prior to spinning. Plucked from a bale buried in rubble in the shut off staircase.
DSC_1607_zps4jykjlzz.jpg
DSC_1610_zpsiwxumsyx.jpg

DSC_1612_zpsc7odxsgt.jpg

DSC_1617_zpsgl5huevw.jpg

DSC_1621_zpsha9hobqc.jpg

Last edited:

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
A couple of little relics there. That floor looks Barnsley-esque... very photogenic.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Aye I was hoping for a little bit more but even in it's current state I would say it is worth a gentle wander. Shame I missed it pre stripping really, I think it is the last sizeable jute mill in Dundee that is left unconverted, other than Baxters.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Me and Brickman looked in here in 2010 i think. Assumed you guys had done it before!

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I think we had more promising things on our list last time. To be fair to the place it had potential to be hiding a few gems, just a pity they hid paint tins instead of cone tops!

Sidewider

28DL Member
28DL Member
Me and my friends were up there taking some horror photos, it was quite a cool place.

Attachments

• 988905_10205587021690058_9013117565833255524_n.jpg
    988905_10205587021690058_9013117565833255524_n.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 116

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Update - demolished without permission. Council responded by saying "uurm yeah you shouldn't have done that, but yeah it was kind of an eyesore wasn't it"

Council work so it's best!