real time web analytics
Report - - Winter Gardens, Great Yarmouth - September 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Winter Gardens, Great Yarmouth - September 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Great Yarmouth, or more accurately just Yarmouth is a typically tacky seaside town with mile upon mile of the stereotypical kind of tat and tasteless amusement arcades you only find on the shorelines of England. The kind of establishments that have lightweight wooden chairs that only the elderly find comfortable. If you ever get the chance to visit, politely decline at all costs! We had the misfortune of accidentally finding ourselves at a loose end in the area, the terrible weather on that drab Sunday morning only added to the misery, but the Winter Gardens, by its very nature, provided a nice bit of shelter from the pouring rain and anorak-clad diehard candyfloss eaters... A relic from the heyday of the English beach holiday, it is one of the few remaining places along the seafront to retain any of the Victorian charm that (probably) once adorned the town. It's basically just a big conservatory, so don't get excited! It has a bit of ok-ish ironwork and that's about it. But, if you like wearing wigs, climbing on shit and getting inside stuff that you're not supposed to go in, then this place is lots of fun, a satisfying playground for those of us who, to quote Leicestershire Police, have "anti-social" tendencies.

Visited with @SpiderMonkey, @Brewtal, and a crazy lady named Jane!

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-24.jpg

I'm sure they are so proud to have this mess in such a prominent position on their seafront

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-25.jpg

Over the hoarding is even worse

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-1.jpg

Inside is a bit better, if you're a fan of lightweight wooden chairs that only the elderly find comfortable.

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-2.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-5.jpg

Dick!

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-6.jpg

I bet the old dears loved this tropical island of seats. "Ohh look Dorris, let's sit under the palm trees. I've never been abroad"

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-7.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-8.jpg

It felt just like a real jungle

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-9.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-17.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-13.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-10.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-19.jpg

Surely not comfortable? They don't look old enough.

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-12.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-16.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-21.jpg

Beep Dop Bappabop (that's robot speak for "Hey there, let me cup your balls")

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-22.jpg

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-23.jpg

Of course there's a bistro!

winter-gardens-great-yarmouth-14.jpg

Right, fuck this shit.... Fun time!

IMG_20180923_084955.jpg

IMG_20180923_095906.jpg

IMG_20180923_112441.jpg

IMG_20180923_103223.jpg

Not bad for 20p!

On that note it was time to find somewhere worth visiting... But even the KFC had lightweight wooden bloody chairs that only the elderly find comfortable.

Last edited:

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That was a fun day out! I’m surprised you didnt post the group shot with you baring your hairy ass! I’m sure everyone else would love to see it! Still very impressed all four of us managed to fit in that bloody machine, good times!

Airfix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To add a bit of history to the site it was originally built and located in Torquay and was dismantled and moved by barge to Yarmouth and rebuilt in 1904 without breaking a single pane of glass. It has been a ballroom, a roller skate rink and a German beer garden. Currently just added to the Victorian Society 2018 top 10 buildings at risk register.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
To add a bit of history to the site it was originally built and located in Torquay and was dismantled and moved by barge to Yarmouth and rebuilt in 1904 without breaking a single pane of glass. It has been a ballroom, a roller skate rink and a German beer garden. Currently just added to the Victorian Society 2018 top 10 buildings at risk register.
Thanks for the history, that's quite interesting. I had no idea it had been moved, and to not break any glass is quite impressive!

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
That was a fun day out! I’m surprised you didnt post the group shot with you baring your hairy ass! I’m sure everyone else would love to see it! Still very impressed all four of us managed to fit in that bloody machine, good times!
I had pants on! There was zero ass hair on show, for a change.

Who has read this thread (Total: 387) View details