real time web analytics
Report - - Woolley Hall Woolley Wakefield August 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Woolley Hall Woolley Wakefield August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
After only seeing one report on here and never seeing the place pop up anywhere online, I was a little unsure about exploring it, however I am glad I have.
The place has defianly had some time of maintaining going on in some of the rooms as apart from a bit of dust they were relatively clean. Looks to being getting stripped as I read up it was being turned into a Hotel at one point.
The staircase was the standout for me.
Access wasnt easy and its alarmed to death, which is understandable, however after spending a while in here, no one came.

History on the place.

In the mid-fourteenth century, the nucleus of what became the Woolley estate belonged to Sir William de Notton, a man of local origin who achieved wealth and fame as a lawyer, and was later appointed Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. He derived his name from Notton, the village to the east of Woolley.[2] His lands in Woolley and Notton passed in 1365 to Sir William Fyncheden, by whose executor they were sold in 1377 to John Woodrove (or Woodroffe / Woodruffe) of Normanton.[2] Despite owning these extensive lands, however, John Woodrove was not Lord of the Manor of Woolley, although his descendants would be.
The lordship of the manor, together with the initial manor house in Woolley, is first documented as owned by the Popeley family, of whom Robert Popeley was the last to reside. On his death he passed the building down to his only daughter Christine, who married into the Rilston family. The manor house remained with this line through four generations to her great grandson Robert Rilston, the son of Edmund. In around 1490, Robert sold this house, together with the lordship of the Manor of Woolley, to Sir Richard Woodrove (a descendant of John Woodrove), who added them to his existing estate.[3]
There is apparently some confusion as to whether Rilston's manor house stood on the same site occupied by the present Woolley Hall. J.W. Walker, in his work on the Manor and Church of Woolley, seems to have assumed that Sir Richard Woodrove made Rilston's house his principal residence on acquiring it in 1490.[4] However, Geoffrey Markham argues that Woodrove may have remained in his ancestral home in Woolley, itself a house of some importance, and that it may be this house, previously owned by Sir William de Notton and John Woodrove, that stood on or near the site of the present Hall.[3]
Sir Richard Woodroffe (c. 1440 – 1522) was the Sheriff of York between 1510 and 1518, and one of the last members of the Woodroffe/Woodruff family to reside in the Hall.[5] In 1559, Francis Woodroffe was forced to sell the house and all his lands in Woolley and Notton to his cousin Michael Wentworth, the great-great-grandson of Sir Richard Woodroffe and descendant of Sir Thomas Wentworth (aka Golden Thomas), the great grandfather of Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford, for £6000, the equivalent of nearly £1,200,000 today. Francis was the brother of Richard Woodroffe, who married Elizabeth Percy, the daughter of the infamous Thomas Percy, 7th Earl of Northumberland, one of the two ring leaders of the Rising of the North.[5]
The present building in Woolley is an example of early Jacobean architecture, and was begun about 1635 and added onto at the turn of the 19th century by the architect Jeffry Wyatville.[5] It stands in the village of Woolley near the M1 Motorway. Godfrey Wentworth was High Sheriff of Yorkshire for 1862–63.
After serving the Wentworth family into the 20th century, the hall was a college for a period. It is now owned by Wakefield Council.

Thanks for looking.

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I went in in March '18, it still looks the same. I set the alarm off but I didn't rush, security turned up as I was taking externals, he said hello and that was that.

MarkusCP87

28DL Full Member
I went in in March '18, it still looks the same. I set the alarm off but I didn't rush, security turned up as I was taking externals, he said hello and that was that.
I set the alarm off, no one came as I was leaving, which i was surprised.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Lovely mate! Been a while since Ive seen a report in here to put a smile on my face.

Maybe worth popping it into NP as its so nice still or have the goontube brigade got wind of it already?

MarkusCP87

28DL Full Member
Don't know how to put it in NP, if you can sort that out for me.
As far as I know only the one report I've seen of the place, was hesitant about posting it, but like do share my best places on here.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
I cant from this section. Might be worth giving @Ojay a shout and see what he thinks. Residential isnt my field so I dont know the score with this place.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Like this place, you had luck getting in here. Its still in great condition which surprises me. But I do feel a tour bus coming lol. Great photos & report. :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 368) View details