real time web analytics
Report - - Wortley beck , Leeds , September 2023 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wortley beck , Leeds , September 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Found this while looking on maps, it has been covered before on here in a fantastic report by Stranton . Viewing his report gave me another nudge to get of my backside and go and check it out , Teaming up with Nuboid again who brought another non forum member with him the three of us arrived at the outflow on water lane early in the morning . We diddnt start at the outfall in to the river Aire but further back upstream at the junction of where water lane and springwell road meet . Access over the fence and to the start point was easy peasy

P9240589.JPG
P9240590.JPG
some nice brick vaulting between the girders in this first bit it was short lived however as it soon transformed to concrete box section
P9240591.JPG

P9240593.JPG
this was pretty much our view for the next 2100 meters it was a long one this drain !
P9240594.JPG
a few little incoming RCPs along the way nothing to get excited about
P9240596.JPG
after a long walk a change in construction appeared
P9240597.JPG
daylight ahead
P9240598.JPG
was nice to have good company as its a long featureless slogg this main run !
P9240599.JPG
another small off shot nuboid having a nosy up we then came towards the daylight ignoring ( for now ) the branch of to our left
P9240600.JPG
then out in to the daylight under the bridge over the blvd
P9240619.JPG
we continued upstream the beck was quite deep in places and it was a fair trek to the start of the next culvert ( with hindsight we should have got out on to the road and walked further up rather than wade up the river ! )
P9240601.JPG
in to the next culvert box section to start 375 meters in length
P9240602.JPG
then some lovely brick arch culvert there was a concrete side which we managed to walk on which helped
P9240604.JPG
back out in to the open looking back on where we had just been then looking upstream
P9240605.JPG
starting to rain a tad but nothing heavy
P9240606.JPG
some lovely round stone culvert after all the concrete box section this part was more than welcome
P9240607.JPG

P9240608.JPG
love these last 2 pics at this point we went back through the brick arched culvert and did what we should have done earlier and climbed out on to the road , we did climb back in to the culvert under the bridge shown earlier and went to check out that junction in the concrete box at the end of the first section
P9240609.JPG
going left now for another 1800meteres hard work this drain !
P9240611.JPG

P9240612.JPG
another incoming to small to check out
P9240613.JPG
slight change in shape of the box section and becoming smaller
P9240614.JPG
bit of a change here ( thank goodness ) then another junction
P9240615.JPG
we had a nosy up the right turn
P9240616.JPG
the roof started to get very low at this point and having walked miles we were in no mood to continue further ( this section daylights at the side of Millshaw playing fields ) back to the junction and continued forward ,The air started to feel warmer so i rightly guessed we where nearing the end
P9240618.JPG
over the chain a 1,5 meter deep silt trap and a fully grilled over bars with no access lid meant we were in for another long trek back ( not seen a silt trap before )
P9240620.JPG
last pic i have done a mediocre plan on roughly where we have been , We had a fair old time underground but it was a bit of a disappointment as the majority of this very long explore is concrete box section . Thanks for viewing 👍

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
You covered some distance. Some nice changes along the route. Especially like that arched nearly round brick entry back in. How do you get the exact length of a stretch just curious?

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You covered some distance. Some nice changes along the route. Especially like that arched nearly round brick entry back in. How do you get the exact length of a stretch just curious?
thanks Jane I just go on maps and do a measure along the way there are manholes and you can get a GPS signal then join up the dots lol its only a ruffguide also one of the guys has a stepometer and that gives you a ruff distance as well

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well well Well
There was a lot of concrete box I admit
But looking on previous reports/mooches I was looking forward to seeing this nice bit of brick and stone (pic below)
But totally missed it !!!!!! Doh !!!!
This was the last 100m (which I didnt do) and left Jezzyboo just to pop down to have a look before we headed back out
I was wondering why we hadn't come across this !!!
And now know why ........

lesson learned :mad:

p9240608-jpg.jpg