real time web analytics
Report - - Wuthering Heights (Top Withens), Haworth - West Yorkshire | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wuthering Heights (Top Withens), Haworth - West Yorkshire

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MADMAX

28DL Full Member
One for all you UE romantics.

THE HISTORY
Top Withins or Withens? The earliest record of the name goes back to the 14th century and it is named as Withins, at about the 17th century it becomes Withens.
There are no known records that state any reference of a Bronte connection to Top Withens, it has been passed down locally that the ruins are connected to Emily Bronte's novel Wuthering Heights;
"Wuthering Heights is the name of Mr Heathcliff's dwelling. `Wuthering' being a significant provincial adjective, descriptive of the atmospheric tumult to which its station is exposed in stormy weather. Pure, bracing ventilation they must have up there at all times, indeed; one may guess the power of the north wind blowing over the edge, by the excessive slant of a few stunted firs at the end of the house; and by a range of gaunt thorns all stretching their limbs one way, as if craving alms of the sun." Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
The Farmhouse has been associated with "Wuthering Heights", the Earnshaw home in Emily Bronte's novel. The buildings, even when complete bore no resemblance to the house she described, but the situation may have been in her mind when she wrote of the moorland setting of the heights.
Top Withens is at an elevation of about 1,400 feet, the bench mark on the southwest corner of the building is 1,376.9 ft above sea level. It was last occupied By Ernest Roddy a poultry farmer in 1926.
The plaque has been placed here in response to many Inquiries. Bronte Society 1964"
History from www.haworth-village.org.uk

THE EXPLORE
Having grown up about 10 miles from Top Withens, it’s a place that I’d fancied visiting for probably 20 years.
So, on the only free day I had on a recent trip up north, I decided to kit up and finally make the trek across the moors. I parked up and made the 3 or so mile walk in an hour, passing the Bronte Waterfalls on the way. The weather was very hit and miss, but the showers subsided just as I reached Top Withens.
The building couldn’t be any more desolate, derelict and incredibly peaceful. To be honest, it’s probably more the romance of the story and its supposed connection, which makes this place special.
Anyway, whether Top Withens really was the inspiration for Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights; it was good to finally see this place.

Here are the results
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

7a.jpg

8-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

11-1.jpg