real time web analytics
Report - - WW2 AA Batterry, Rhossili, Wales - 20/02/07 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WW2 AA Batterry, Rhossili, Wales - 20/02/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Plank

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A friend who found this on Google Earth wanted to do this as his first foray into UE. So listening to what he described my mind started to run away with what we might find. After parking the car a massive trek (by my standards) into the wilderness started. Found another local ROC post I wanted to go and have a snoop down it but the rookie was going to have none of it (westy you chicken! :p) so on we went up this mountain, well a bloody big hill. After about 20 mins wandering round we asked a rambler if she knew of it and were we going in the right direction :thumb

Another 30 mins and I spotted a massive pile of rubble and after walking round the corner it was right in front of us. I was a little disappointed as I was expecting roofs and rooms (a lesson to NEVER trust GE) but I was impressed with the size of the place! Bigger than the street I live in. According to a local website it would have contained

"Nestled into the sandstone rock on the western flank is what remains of a World War II military outpost, a sentry station of protection for the industrial city of Swansea. With assault batteries, bunkers and anti-aircraft placements, Rhossili Downs, the fortress of South Wales, repelled the advancing German bombers as they attempted to destroy the industrial, social and economic fabric of South West Wales."

Here's whats left of it today -

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

Bit of graffiti -

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg