real time web analytics
Question - - Yellow Slime, UK Nov18 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Yellow Slime, UK Nov18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Relay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What is the yellow slime on the walls of Sewers CSO and outfall pipes?

Biofilm? bacteria? Disease?
C3DE8426-DB9D-4D4F-9267-DB7F9B740D67.jpeg

^copyright Tarkovsky

This one is of particular interest because the branches suggest life.

Please allow me to keep this post, copyright has been accredited to copyright owner.

yaleR

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This particular place is a culvert, come storm drain, come CSO and is a rather polluted one at that.

The 'slime' in this case isn't viscous but a stain on the base of the drain. The yellow/ orange/ ochre colour is usually suggestive of Iron in the water, occasionally as a result of nearby old mining works.

Relay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So how about the white yellow stuff on the top of the pipes? Bacteria?

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
So how about the white yellow stuff on the top of the pipes? Bacteria?

The white I can see here on the top pipe looks more than likely like spiders eggs, spiders love drains, there a millions in them!

Most 'drains' are culverts, which although some do have adjoining CSO's, believe it or not just aren't that bacteria ridden and nasty.

If it's proper sewers you want talk to @Ojay

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
What @Esoteric Eric said ^^^

Also in the pic above the stuff covering the ceiling is just concrete - maybe looks a bit yellower because of the light painting? And looks slimy just cos it’s wet? This particular pic had lots of spray because of the waterfall, which would get much heavier when it rains than when we were in there. Water gets all over the place and makes the whole chamber damp.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Looks like shitty spraycrete

Rather than doing a decent repair job it's easier to patch up any problems then spray concrete everywhere

Relay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha thank you all, tarkovsky thank you for allowing me to use the reference image.

I have one more concern to air; any illness passed through a sewer possible has an environment to grow colonies, putting sewer explorers at risk of Any disease passed through it.

Just my concerns, biofilm is also a hidden danger. Maybe this is why sewers aren’t manned nowadays.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
There are still crews of cleaners who go into the sewers
If you work in London as a flusher you can look at earning around £45,000 a year

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
There are still crews of cleaners who go into the sewers
If you work in London as a flusher you can look at earning around £45,000 a year

How much! Right, i'm going to fuck engineering off i think. Some sewers are worse than others, most of them are reasonably well ventilated....

Who has read this thread (Total: 169) View details