real time web analytics
Report - - A Trip Through Whitchurch Hospital/Cardiff City Asylum - April & Sep 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - A Trip Through Whitchurch Hospital/Cardiff City Asylum - April & Sep 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
I'm planning on doing a Welsh asylum roundabout at some point, but given how huge Whitchurch is, I felt it needed its own report. It's gone quieter in the past few years and it's entering a stage of more heavy decay, which whilst sad to see does make for some great photographs and some excellent paint peel. My overall impression of this place is that it's as close as you'll ever get to the Severalls experience, just more colourful. Every room in this place seems to have its own colour scheme going on, whether from paint or moss, and it makes for an interesting explore. This report covers the asylum across two trips, in Spring and Autumn of 2023. Sure we didn't cover everything, but it's a huge site and we still saw a lot.

Wales-Drone-Featured-2.jpg

Drone shot by @KismetJ

THE HISTORY

The hospital began life as Cardiff City Asylum when it opened in 1908. Like many places without their own asylums, Cardiff had originally been sending its patients to asylums at Glamorgan, Carmarthen and further afield until it could no longer cope. It was designed by architects Oakley and Skinner of Bristol in a stripy fashion of red and yellow bricks with continental classical embellishments. It took up to ten years to build and cost a supposed equivalent of £42 million. It could accommodate 750 patients across ten wards, placing it as a larger hospital in the asylum world. Its initial superintendent was Edwin Goodall was a forward-thinking man who attempted to advance medical practices where possible within the restraints of conventions of the time and the hospital's finances. He changed its name from Cardiff City Asylum to Mental Hospital shortly after opening; a change which would not reach national law until decades later. The hospital became a war hospital in both world wars, treating patients of battle wounds and PTSD. In 1948, the hospital was accommodated into the NHS. Like the rest of the asylums, it declined towards the latter half of the 20th century, with the Care in the Community shift in the 1980s constricting its activities. Despite this, it was a late closure, staying open as an NHS hospital until 2016.

33620999698_3c2e8e71bd_b (1).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-2.jpg

THE EXPLORES

Our first asylum trip to Wales was an attempt to see as many of the five notable hospitals across the country as we could. Whitchurch was placed as our most desirable potential conquest, given its size. However, reports online suggested it would be no mean feat with it having undergone a dry spell for the past while since security tightened and the dog units brought in. A few people have been since this visit giving it a slight resurgence, but earlier this year it was less-widely thought doable. We had no idea how doable it was, but with a building so large there had to be a few weaknesses. After a daytime recce, we decided we would try a possible route and if not, we could ladder into the second floor.

Fast forward 24 hours and we were inside easier than expected in the middle of a sunny afternoon. We couldn't believe our luck and were blown away by how rare an experience it felt to be inside. We didn't want to hang around so got round most of it in around two hours, and snuck around carefully, perhaps overcautiously in areas closer to the secca vans. After heading out, @KismetJ flew his drone over which attracted attention from the guards who began patrolling the perimeter. Thankfully we were outside the fence and the guards were actually very decent. We stopped for a chat about the building's fate through the fence, with them thinking we hadn't been in. 'Imagine being silly enough to fly a drone BEFORE going in' I quipped, they didn't clock. Professional they may have been, but I wouldn't have wanted to get on the wrong side of them or their dog Zeus.

We redid the southern part of our Welsh asylums tour later this year to cover more of what we missed. Given that Whitchurch was so good, we went back for another visit in less good weather. With forward knowledge this time, it was nice and chilled yet we still kept our wits about us. Funnily enough, huge camera towers have been installed around the site now although they seemed to do very little to impair our original route of entry. We covered a similar amount of the hospital but took a few different shots including some closeups with my prime lens. Even in a few months the hospital has suffered more as water and damp seems to be laying the building to wrack and ruin.

Capture2.jpg

The potential pitfalls of the novice explorer. A very polite yet burly man with dog, and one of several all-seeing guntowers.

So there's so many sections to the hospital I have no idea how I'll condense my 150 final edited shots into this post. I'm going to go through the site area by area. As said, this isn't comprehensive, just an attempt to break things down into a digestible format. Let's start with the iconic asylum corridors which are said to span around two miles.

WhitchurchAsylum-27.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-35.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-76.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (23 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (25 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (12 of 35).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-65.jpg

The same corridor only a few months apart.
Whitchurch2ndVisit (13 of 35).jpg

Next we come to the actual wards. These may have been my favourite bit - the bay windows, the lights, all textbook asylum stuff, complete with siderooms and signs of former padded cells. First up is the stairs connecting the wards to the corridor network. This place is so big I've just had to choose from about 10 favourite photos of stairs - this only wins because it contains a stairlift.

WhitchurchAsylum-59.jpg

The onto the dayrooms - essentially the communal sitting rooms of the wards. Probably my favourite part of an asylum to photograph. As designed, they certainly let a lot of light inside.

WhitchurchAsylum-33.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-60.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-45.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-100.jpg

Might be something different but it has a bay window and shit tons of moss.
Then we have the communal bedrooms of the wards - the dormitories. These also had a lot of windows like the dayrooms but in a linear fashion.

WhitchurchAsylum-49.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-52.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-54.jpg

Next we move onto the corridors which lead from the communal ward areas to siderooms. These rows of doors are pretty iconic when it comes to asylums and often conjure images of padded cells, which although were certainly used, only some of them were padded. Many of them were simply private isolated patient rooms, as well as offices.

WhitchurchAsylum-18.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-43.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (30 of 35).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-16.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (29 of 35).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-63.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-74.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-107.jpg

Now for what seems like it could have been a padded cell.

WhitchurchAsylum-12.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-14.jpg

TBC...​

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
More siderooms including what may have been a repurposed padded cell with modern furniture added.

WhitchurchAsylum-55.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-53.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (16 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (33 of 35).jpg

Before we drown in narrow repetitive rooms we shall head back down the stairs out of the wards.

WhitchurchAsylum-7.jpg

As you move around the enormous building, you occasionally get glimpses out across the asylum's vast inner courtyards. Probably my favourite kind of view in the place, it's best described as a post-apocalyptic overgrown landscape separated from the outside world. It's easy to see why asylum exploration appealed so much during the rise of internet urbex (apart from that their abandonment coincided), it's because they're maybe the closest thing the UK has gotten to ghost towns. For these places weren't just hospitals but entire self-sufficient communities.

WhitchurchAsylum-47.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (15 of 35).jpg

We press on around the corridor network, coming across various offices and rooms of unknown function. Of these is maybe the most photogenic part of the asylum; the pathology laboratory, resplendent with gorgeous Edwardian furnishings. The foliage is amazing in here, so I haven't bothered to pick my favourites here there's too many!

Whitchurch2ndVisit (7 of 35).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-105.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (6 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (4 of 35).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-103.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (9 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (8 of 35).jpg

Moving onto another area with some wicked Edwardian furnishings is the shower room and whatever the room next to it is. It's hard to believe stuff like this was still sitting in an active NHS hospital in 2016.

WhitchurchAsylum-69.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-68.jpg

Of a similar feel is the stores, which looks like it could be a set from Downton Abbey. Pure Edwardian filth.

WhitchurchAsylum-92.jpg

Just off the stores was this small toilet. I swear I keep seeing this cream painted and brown glazed tile colour scheme at asylums in tucked away areas. I wonder if more parts had this decor originally as it looks pretty authentic.

Whitchurch2ndVisit (24 of 35).jpg

Now we shall move on to the centrepiece of the hospital - the recreation hall. It's a strange place is Whitchurch's hall, everything from the toy car, to the 'Nick C_ford is gay' graffiti, and the bizarre mini patient rooms some plonker decided to build within the middle of the hall. My friend reckons they may have been for training as next to them is some kind of unbreakable glass test panel set up. If patients were in these, that's a rough deal as they even have windows that look out onto a wall bearing a printout of the sky. Not quite a substitute for daylight is it. I even saw a fox running about the hall recently, but sadly he was gone before I could take a snap.

Whitchurch2ndVisit (17 of 35).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-80.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (14 of 35).jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-82.jpg

Next to the hall lies a collection of kitchens and food prep rooms.

WhitchurchAsylum-84.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-86.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (19 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (18 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (21 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (20 of 35).jpg

We continue around the complex back through it's corridors towards the front of house - the admin building. This is also near to several dog vans so we cautiously tiptoed over, whether we needed to or not I'll never know but we remain uncaught.

WhitchurchAsylum-98.jpg

The ground floor entrance hall of admin is very dark due to the shutters. I wanted to take a long exposure but the sneakiness made it feel like a bad idea so I just cranked the ISO up to potato mode. It's a shame cos it looked pretty nice, the admin area was significantly grander than most of the building with some lovely wood panelling.

WhitchurchAsylum-93.jpg

We're still going lads...​

Wastelandr

Regular User
Not wanting to blow it by pushing our luck, I took a quick look upstairs in admin as there was one shot I wanted to get.

WhitchurchAsylum-94.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-95.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-97.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-3.jpg

The same window and the admin block from the outside. I'd speculate this was some kind of meeting room/boardroom.

Here's a few other photogenic rooms around the hospital I also thought I'd share (if there wasn't already enough). I'd imagine these were larger offices and various services.

WhitchurchAsylum-78.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-37.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-87.jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (33 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (34 of 35).jpg

Whitchurch2ndVisit (27 of 35).jpg

I couldn't leave out that very tacky looking tuck shop could I. Unlike some of it's past patients, you are finally now free to leave the asylum and admire it from the outside.

WhitchurchAsylum-5.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-4.jpg

Airing shelter

WhitchurchAsylum-1.jpg

The chapel

Whitchurch2ndVisit (35 of 35).jpg

Some nice autumnal leafage

That's all folks. Thanks for reading, my brain is once again absolutely fried. It's hard to do this place justice in brief so in my usual style I thought I'd go for something more substantial.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Whitchurch is like a microcosm of all the best bits of the 'age of asylums' rolled into one place. Unarguably the best asylum closure since the mass closures of the 1990s and early 2000s.

It's crazy to think that fifteen years ago there were places like this all over the country, some of which we took for granted and others that weren't given the attention they probably deserved.

Also, the rooms in the hall were I believe mock-ups of patient rooms for a new facility that was going to be built elsewhere after Whitchurch closed.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s such a nice report mate and some great pics. This place is one I have always wanted too see and still never been. The decay is getting amazing. Funnily enough with all them pics I really like the shelter. I really have a soft spot for them old asylum shelters.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Corridor collapse already?!
It's a surprise isn't it, as rotten as they look there was nothing worse looking about this one than the rest before it went. Makes you think any one of them could just go at any time - hopefully whilst nobody's head's under it!

Wastelandr

Regular User
Whitchurch is like a microcosm of all the best bits of the 'age of asylums' rolled into one place. Unarguably the best asylum closure since the mass closures of the 1990s and early 2000s.

It's crazy to think that fifteen years ago there were places like this all over the country, some of which we took for granted and others that weren't given the attention they probably deserved.

Also, the rooms in the hall were I believe mock-ups of patient rooms for a new facility that was going to be built elsewhere after Whitchurch closed.
It's funny you should say about some of the asylums having escaped much attention, I was thinking this after a flick back through people's reports on here. I was recently looking at Deva in Chester and thinking how nice that looked, yet you barely hear of it. There was obviously the big names which had a legendary status, but there must also have been loads we rarely see mentioned. I suppose a fair few went before posting photos online was even a thing.

Cheers for clarifying re the hall mock-ups, that confirms my mate's theory :)

Wastelandr

Regular User
That’s such a nice report mate and some great pics. This place is one I have always wanted too see and still never been. The decay is getting amazing. Funnily enough with all them pics I really like the shelter. I really have a soft spot for them old asylum shelters.
Thanks mate, I can see the appeal! There's a lot of similar designs but all slightly different. I got a few 35mm b&w shots and liked how the shelter came out.

000813140023.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks mate, I can see the appeal! There's a lot of similar designs but all slightly different. I got a few 35mm b&w shots and liked how the shelter came out.

000813140023.jpg
Really nice shot that in black and white. Yeah a lot had different designs. I like the round shape though. Funnily enough at thorpe St Andrews one still remained. The other side of the site what they renovated beautifully into housing they renovated some shelters as well.

IMG_2781.jpeg

Wastelandr

Regular User
Really nice shot that in black and white. Yeah a lot had different designs. I like the round shape though. Funnily enough at thorpe St Andrews one still remained. The other side of the site what they renovated beautifully into housing they renovated some shelters as well.

IMG_2781.jpeg
Nice bit of texture on that. I saw that when the boys showed me Thorpe St Andrews a few months back (glad I snapped the admin block before the fire). The ones at Severalls are very similar but slightly more straight-edged. Most of them seem to either be rectangular or octagonal.

Who has read this thread (Total: 243) View details