real time web analytics
Report - - A year in the desert - exploring Abu Dhabi. '13-'14 | European and International Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - A year in the desert - exploring Abu Dhabi. '13-'14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The_Raw

Staff member
Wow, it must've been an intense experience getting anything done over there for the fear of being caught. Thoroughly enjoyed taking my time looking through this report, great to see something so different and hats off to you for doing even one rooftop let alone several, and a crane? The views look sensational and some of the buildings themselves are spectacular in their own right. Absolutely banging, respect :cool

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Thanks all, glad I've managed to make it sound interesting. When it's all put down like this it looks like a lot, but considering it's 13 months work, I've actually been pulling my hair out with boredom sometimes. I'd guess in total I've probably managed to get up 20 odd roofs, But with the exception of banks and corporate headquarters I've tried almost every single tall building in the centre of the city.

Considering the stringent law practices you've bossed it as far as I'm concerned

Some risky business that mate, I'm sure the stories speak a million times more than the pics :thumb

There are a few stories, but I'll not be putting them into print just yet. There is one about walking up 58 floors worth of stairs in August though, I'd sweated out 2kg by the time I was back home!

feel so jealous, what a beautiful city.

Don't be too jealous, most of the city is literally a facade. There are loads of amazing modern buildings that are actually run down 30 year old concrete shells with some fancy glass covering the outside. The whole lifestyle here is very much the golden cage, the people at the bottom of the social scale have their passports taken off them when they arrive and aren't paid enough to ever be able to get home again. The people in the middle of the range are paid a decent salary and offered huge credit cards and easy loans, Which mean they have to stay until they are paid off. It's very easy to end up trapped.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
One of the few reports i actually bothered to read from top to bottom,nicely photographed and well reported mate :thumb

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
One of the few reports i actually bothered to read from top to bottom,nicely photographed and well reported mate :thumb

second that.

fantastic photos and a great read too. The kind of report where i know Ive got to leave the computer, put the kettle on and come back and settle with a coffee while i read it from start to finish.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
"supertall" - that's a great word !

The last set of pictures literally took my breath away mate. I gasped.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stunning work mate and fantastic write up, when i was in Dubai i got security giving me a hard time just for pointing my camera at a building so well done for pushing on.

jazzywheelz

Boring Bearded Bastard
28DL Full Member
When I read the title I knew that this would be gold :Not Worthy

Massive props, not only for having the minerals to take the obvious risks involved, but also for the sheer determination to make the most of a frustrating situation.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
When I read the title I knew that this would be gold :Not Worthy

Massive props, not only for having the minerals to take the obvious risks involved, but also for the sheer determination to make the most of a frustrating situation.

Yes man. Well said!

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Thanks everyone, glad to have entertained.

I'm heading further east after this, hopefully it'll be a little less restricted and maybe have more than just roofs to look at :D