real time web analytics
Report - - Bowaters Sack Factory, Ellesmere Port - October 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bowaters Sack Factory, Ellesmere Port - October 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
October 2023

I visited this one with @stranton whilst on a tour of Staffordshire, Cheshire and the Wirral, this was the first outing with my new camera since I totalled my 70D in a Stockport mill. I can find very little information about this place online, with the most reliable source being the 2020 report from @Shaun, I believe that the whole site was originally owned by Bowaters. The site was later broken up and sold bit by bit until all the different buildings were owned by separate entities.

The factory pictured below was opened in 1951, the main factory barrel roof with all of the glass windows was built to catch the rising sun bringing natural light into the huge factory, so less electricity was used to light it. The factory was specifically designed so that reels of paper came in at one end of the factory, the reels were printed, tubed and then sewed or bottomed in the main factory hall, before going out as completed paper or plastic sacks for chemicals, foodstuffs or anything else for that matter, right at the other end. The factory had its own printers, maintenance department, canteen and office staff and at its height employed over 400 people over three shifts. It was a hugely successful producer of paper sacks which were exported worldwide.

c04846.jpg

[0] - 'Wet Process' at Bowaters Paper Corporation, 1930's [Cheshire Image Bank]​

The business was purchased by AssiDoman (owned by MoDO) from Bowaters, then purchased by Papropack as an order book buyout, kept open for the minimum amount of time then closed, with the loss of all jobs. The factory ceased production in April 1997, stripped of all machinery (some going for a short time to other Papropack sites and a lot of it, printers, tubers and bottomers being sold to factories in Turkey.)

The site was then sold to Manisty Wharf in 1998. The building is now spilt into four separate stores and the main factory hall and offices have fallen in to the sad disrepair you see in the photos above. Following the sale some of the site has been repurposed with the original buildings remains, however the main factory featured in this report has fell into a state of disrepair and will likely see the demolition ball before too long.

GRONK12.jpg

[1]

GRONK11.jpg

[2]

GRONK7.jpg

[3]

GRONK10.jpg

[4]

GRONK2.jpg

[5]

GRONK1.jpg

[6]

GRONK3.jpg

[7]

GRONK5.jpg

[8]

GRONK9.jpg

[9]

GRONK6.jpg

[10]

GRONK13.jpg

[11]

GRONK4.jpg

[12]

GRONK8.jpg

[13]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm XT-2, 10-24mm F4 R OIS​

Last edited:

stranton

subterranean explorer
Regular User
nice report m8, was a relaxing mooch
will attach some of my photographs tommorrow. 👍

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Do like this place. Seems to have run under the goon radar but i guess that will change if people keep posting it.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report looking forward to seeing what else you did in the area. This is close to the old Burma site I bet you didn’t try that now. I really enjoyed it here I find these places really photogenic.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I like this kind of site. The older stuff is always so photogenic with the flora. The wage sign is very long lol, but a great shot on that decayed peeling wall :thumb

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Do like this place. Seems to have run under the goon radar but i guess that will change if people keep posting it.
Yeah, think it helps that it’s surrounded by live sites which puts them off

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Great report looking forward to seeing what else you did in the area. This is close to the old Burma site I bet you didn’t try that now. I really enjoyed it here I find these places really photogenic.
Had a quick look at Vauxhall whilst we were there, but activity appears to have really picked up there in the last few weeks. I assume they’re getting ready to start production again

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That wage sign is a pretty cool find, your first open warehouse pic is great too. Good job

Who has read this thread (Total: 177) View details