real time web analytics
Report - - Bowaters / Papropak Paper Mill, Ellesmere Port - January 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bowaters / Papropak Paper Mill, Ellesmere Port - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Endling

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
2049de2f66089c8cbc8dd5ecd786c8b2.jpg

A great local explore here, a huge paper mill shut for 27 years.
In terms of history, it really doesn't get any better than this comment from Mark Stores, somebody who actually worked there:

The whole site was originally owned by Bowaters and was sold bit by bit until all the separate factories were owned by separate entities. The sack factory pictured, opened in 1951 (the phone number used to be 051 355 1951) The main factory barrel roof with all of the glass windows was built to catch the rising sun bringing natural light into the huge factory, so less electricity was used to light it. The factory was specifically designed so that reels of paper came in at one end of the factory, the reels were printed, tubed and then sewed or bottomed in the main factory hall, before going out as completed paper or plastic sacks for chemicals, foodstuffs or anything else for that matter, right at the other end. The factory had its own printers, maintenance department, canteen and office staff and at its height employed over 400 people over three shifts. It was a hugely successful producer of paper sacks which were exported worldwide. It was purchased by AssiDoman (owned by MoDO) from Bowaters, then purchased by Papropack as an order book buyout, kept open for the minimum amount of time then closed, with the loss of all jobs. The factory ceased production in April 1997, stripped of all machinery (some going for a short time to other Papropack sites and a lot of it, printers, tubers and bottomers being sold to factories in Turkey.) The site was sold to Manisty Wharf in 1998. The building is now spilt into 4 separate stores and the main factory hall and offices have fallen in to the sad disrepair you see in the photos above. The main reception you can see with 'Enquiries' on the window. There is also the old surgery (with the green curtain, some pictures of the paper laboratory, the ladies toilets, Managing Directors office (with the tree in the middle of the floor) Glue plant (big metal tanks) Print Shop offices (metal staircase) General Stores (Blue caged areas and lots of cables, where I was the Stores Manager) and the Accounts Office (Trees throughout and power poles from the roof to the floor. I remember Jack Barton & John Pyke putting those in - great electricians). Brilliant memories and the procedures and pay there were well ahead of their time. The people who closed it down then went on to oversee the closure of the other Papropack factories in the UK, Hull, Ayelsbury, North Wales, and Dundee. The managers imported from Hull who closed them all down then moved on to another Sack Manufacturer who, unsurprisingly ended up with the majority of the UK sack production.

A photo of the active site can be seen on this Flickr page with the following quote from member Gordon Edgar:

Bowaters constructed their newsprint and paper mill between 1930 and 1934, enjoying the benefit of both rail transport and shipping. ‘Sentinel’ 255hp 4-wheel diesel-hydraulic 'DH15' (W/No.10174 of 1964), and its sister loco 'DH16' (W/No.10175 of 1964) were both purchased from the MSCC in November 1970 and, unlike the Royal Blue livery carried by most of the MSC Railway’s ‘Sentinel’ fleet, they were turned out in a striking scarlet red livery, but initially still retained the MSC fleet running numbers. They eventually replaced the shunting duties previously undertaken by three Andrew Barclay 0-4-0 fireless locos and a class ‘165DE’ Ruston & Hornsby loco. On 22nd March 1976, 'DH16' is seen working at the factory, but their tour of duty at Ellesmere Port sadly proved to be short-lived, and this photograph was taken just four years before the closure of the Bowater mill itself. 'DH16' is now preserved on the West Somerset Railway.

THE EXPLORE:

An icy cold day in the Port, myself and CheesyKennita found out about the Mill when we looking for another explore on Mount Mannisty that seems to be no longer accessible. We'd stumbled upon the abandoned cafe around the corner from the Mill a week earlier, snapped some shots and made our way to another explore, completely oblivious to the fact that only through the trees at the side of that road there was a huge Paper Mill waiting for us to explore! Once we discovered our little blunder we set out a week later to explore the place in the icy conditions. We found the whole site to be relatively peaceful, with only the odd lorry coming and going to nearby sites and seemingly no eyes on us as we made our entrance.

P1011648.jpg

I'd seen 2 previous reports on this place (I believe there's 3 altogether ranging from roughly 2019 to late last year), but I wasn't prepared for just how open this place was and just how quiet it all felt. You could easily fit an entire football pitch on the main factory floor if it wasn't for the concrete and steel pillars evenly strewn about with the huge piles of salt that are now stored here, probably to be forgotten judging by the state of some of them.

P1011652.jpg

Honestly my photos don't really do it justice, I'm not a bad photographer and my Panasonic G90 does me alright, but I SERIOUSLY need a dedicated wide angle lens for places like this (I got some fisheye later on so keep scrolling if you like shit like that!) We started at the back end of the factory on the east side and decided to go clockwise around the perimeter of the mill to see everything.

P1011654.jpg

P1011656.jpg

Whilst appreciating the contrast of vibrant orange paint and grayish decay, Cheesy went ahead toward the metal stairs up to a mostly empty office. Now would be a great time to let anyone wishing to visit know that this place is FULL of broken glass everywhere, I say it now because they were on every single step leading up to this office and making noise was unavoidable. Quite a problem when there's still an active factory behind here, separated only by an alleyway!

P1011659.jpg

P1011662.jpg

P1011664.jpg

Cheesy is a fair few years younger than me so I had to explain to him the magic of Virgin Cola 😅

P1011667.jpg

Still on the south side of the factory, Cheesy climbed up to a platform to scout and see if it was worth it for me (by far the least athletic of the two of us) to make the climb also. He found a tool chest with some interesting tools but decided not to actually document it in any way (he's learning slowly I promise!)
Another platform was accessible only by a risky climb and the way down was cushioned by a conveniently placed couch, the large amount of glass on it though was enough to deter Cheesy from a second climb and the area (which would have been accessible via a lift when the factory was still open) went unexplored.

P1011671.jpg

Whilst Cheesy snooped around upstairs I quickly stuck my fisheye lens on.

P1011676.jpg

Moving on to the southwest, the front of the building and we began to explore the offices and staff areas of the mill. We decided to go straight through all of these, weaving upstairs and downstairs when appropriate. This would take us all the way out to the north end of the building.

P1011674.jpg

P1011683.jpg

P1011687.jpg

P1011690.jpg

The overgrowth is so wonderful here, it contrasts beautifully with the man-made structures and it's stunning how well it's complemented by the decay of paint/wallpaper peeling and debris. It would probably sound a bit odd to someone outside of this hobby, but seeing things like this are what makes it so worthwhile for me.

The only downside to this overgrowth was that we didn't dare step foot in any of these offices, the floors were not likely to be wholly there underneath the moss and foliage. We were perfectly content to look in from the outside and snap photos as we went.

P1011701.jpg

The collapsed roof exposes some of the offices to the elements. We didn't stick around in this particular area for long for the reasons that the flooring was quite sus around here and also we had spooked a few pigeons so much that they were flying in to the windows face first in panic. My old man's a pigeon flyer and I don't like to see them harmed so we left them in peace!

We moved on to a small infirmary and staff room, complete with cafe and large toilets before heading back out on to the factory floor for the final corner of the explore.

P1011716.jpg

P1011729.jpg

P1011736.jpg

Among the interesting sights were tins of cat food that didn't look all that old, a copy of The Daily Sport from October 1997 (complete with vintage titties) and a recent pen drawing of a certain Austrian dictator which I won't share here to avoid the risk of being booted. This was actually the only graffiti of any kind we saw, barring an urbex tag in the infirmary, a pleasant surprise to say the least!
The final leg of the explore was at the north and north east end of the mill and was a lot more photogenic due to the morning sun hitting the angles dramatically due to the building's unique windows.

P1011737.jpg

P1011748.jpg

P1011751.jpg

P1011752.jpg

P1011756.jpg

I've only done a handful of explores so far but this was definitely my favourite, Cheesy also ranking this top. I just love these open places with little pressure that allow you to just have a relaxed explore and photo sesh, it gives you a lot of time to soak that atmosphere in and try to imagine what it must have been like to work here on the daily in the site's heyday. Quite a bittersweet feeling though when you snap out of it and come to see the vast emptiness before you standing completely still and quiet.
Only drawbacks were how slippy certain areas were due to mossy sludge patches and the glass made careful footing essential to avoid making noise. Other than that, a solid explore and I'd happily return for more!

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Pretty empty but some nice decay and big open spaces to photograph. Decent effort that!

Endling

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That’s new, can’t remember a massive hole in the roof when we did it back In November, obviously it’s had a tough winter.

Nice report! :thumb

This was a isolated set of offices on the front of the building that could only be accessed by a set of stairs in the north side. Quite easy to miss tbh, but you might be right with it just simply being a result of the bad storms over winter.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cracking report. I like the look of this. The photos look great and the colour came out really nice, some of the shots look almost like film in a good way. Not a fan of fisheye myself, but nice to see a decent overview using that style. Wide angle lenses are so handy for places like this!

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has this site now been demolished since this visit. A quick Look on Google shows the majority of this site looks to have been recently cleared.

Endling

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has this site now been demolished since this visit. A quick Look on Google shows the majority of this site looks to have been recently cleared.

Don't let maps fool you, the location is wrong but it's very close 👀

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, lots of detail contrasting with the pics of the vast open spaces works well. Look forward to the next

Who has read this thread (Total: 152) View details