real time web analytics
Question - - Camera recomendation | Photography and Video Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Camera recomendation

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
It all depends on budget. If you're starting out, have a look at MPB or Wex as they do some decent deals on pre-owned kit.

If we're talking DSLR Cameras, which most people use, you have two main components:
Body - the actual camera with the image sensor, buttons, screen and all the electrical bits.
Lens - the glass that focuses the images.

Body:
There are several brands to choose from with each of thier own strong points. Yet again, if it's your first time getting into cameras I'd say look for Canon or Nikon as they can be picked up pretty cheap.
Having a look at MPB these are probably the best price range.

Lenses:
Depending on what you want to shoot and how you like to take pictures this can vary.
A lot of cameras, when you buy them as a kit, come with a standard 18mm - 55mm lens which is often enough to start out with.

The mm part of the lens refers to your focal length. In simple terms its mean the bigger the number, the more zoomed in. The lower the number, the wider the image.
A firm favorite for most people starting out is the Sigma 10 - 20mm. These can be picked up pretty cheap today.

In my own suggestion:
I started out with a Nikon D5100 in a kit along with a Sigma 10-20mm lens on top.
Try and do something similar if you can, providing the Nikon body is a DX (cropped sensor), it will be fine for working with a DX Lens such as the Sigma 10-20

Shop around, read a few bits online, use the tools and guides on various online stores and, if you're still unsure, try visiting an actual camera shop as they're more than happy to help.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Here’s me on an explore trying not to draw attention to myself. This is mirrorless too.

IMG_8973.jpeg

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
I started off with a refurbed Nikon D40 for my 21st. Fuck i’ve been exploring a long time.

I’m currently on a D610 and my main go to lens is a sigma 24-70 f2.8. Which is big and heavy, which kind of does my head in a bit now.

I personally wouldn’t worry about what camera you have to start with. I’d go down the 2nd hand route to begin with as you will get a lot more for your money and usually with few lenses to start with. Pick an amount you’re happy to spend, then see whats available. There’s plenty of comparison websites about to pit a few up against each other and make your choice from there.

Don’t forget a tripod though.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
There's no correct answer to this question about what camera you should buy. The best thing to do is find a camera shop and go and have a look and a play with some of the cameras to work out what feels good what is intuitive to you etc.

I started with a small point and shoot, then moved to a Fujifilm bridge camera for a year and then used a Canon 550D for many many years, the thing was totally bulletproof with a Sigma 10-20 lens, and nowadays both can be picked up cheap as anything. I upgraded to a Canon 80D in 2018 that I'm still using to this day with the Sigma lens.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Just use your phone if you have a good one.

Are you anti camera these days mate?! Those new phone cameras are hip and happening i know but my iPhone SE keeps me firmly loving my F100 more and more each day. You need to downgrade and get back on the camera train 😂

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Are you anti camera these days mate?! Those new phone cameras are hip and happening i know but my iPhone SE keeps me firmly loving my F100 more and more each day. You need to downgrade and get back on the camera train 😂
Just don't see the point in the guy shelling out £££ for a camera when you can learn photography basics with a decent camera phone nowadays.

I'm anti my camera, I mean it does the right things if you point it in the right direction but so does my phone, which you can put in your pocket.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
I don’t think there is really an ultimate brand for them tbh, I’ve been an avid Canon user (30D, 60D and 70D) since I first got into photography. I’d been eager to move over to mirrorless for a while but Canon’s offering in this area has always been poor.

I made the move to Fuji about 12 months ago, it took a bit of getting used to but I haven’t really looked back since.

But all the main brands pretty much do the same job in their own way,

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Just don't see the point in the guy shelling out £££ for a camera when you can learn photography basics with a decent camera phone nowadays.

I'm anti my camera, I mean it does the right things if you point it in the right direction but so does my phone, which you can put in your pocket.
I'm increasingly going with phone and drone. So much easier to carry and less hassle. If I know it's going to be somewhere with low light or particularly poor conditions I know my DSLR will by far out-perform my phone so I'll take it for those kind of places, but often find phone shots to be just as good in the right places.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
A good high spec phone camera takes great photos, I know because the camera on my old Huawei was amazing and in the right conditions took better photos than I could get on my 'proper' camera. But thanks to Huawei not being allowed to sell phones in the UK any more the camera on my current phone is piss poor and doesn't hold up at all to my actual camera. Horses for courses and all that.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A good high spec phone camera takes great photos, I know because the camera on my old Huawei was amazing and in the right conditions took better photos than I could get on my 'proper' camera. But thanks to Huawei not being allowed to sell phones in the UK any more the camera on my current phone is piss poor and doesn't hold up at all to my actual camera. Horses for courses and all that.
I have always had shit phones with shit cameras ha ha. Now got a google pixel,and the camera is amazing. I can totally see why people use them for exploring, it’s got to be easier than a big bag full of gear.