real time web analytics
Question - - Camera recomendation | Photography and Video Forum | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Camera recomendation

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I guess it depends what you are interested in doesn’t it really. I enjoy photography and exploring. Which is why I take an actual camera because together I can enjoy both interests. It also depends on what you want to do with the photographs doesn’t it.

If you enjoy creating the photographs by messing around with settings and lenses, learning and developing images (like me) then that’s a different thing to pointing and shooting with a phone entirely.

Each to their own. It’s kind of a question with different answers depending on your personal desire.

In my opinion the “convenience” argument is bollox. You ever seen Wall E?

IMG_3165.jpeg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I guess it depends what you are interested in doesn’t it really. I enjoy photography and exploring. Which is why I take an actual camera because together I can enjoy both interests. It also depends on what you want to do with the photographs doesn’t it.

If you enjoy creating the photographs by messing around with settings and lenses, learning and developing images (like me) then that’s a different thing to pointing and shooting with a phone entirely.

Each to their own. It’s kind of a question with different answers depending on your personal desire.

In my opinion the “convenience” argument is bollox. You ever seen Wall E?

IMG_3165.jpeg
I definatley thing it's easier with a phone. But like you say it's personal preference. I still lump my bag everywhere with my camera and about four lenses. But like you I like taking photos and this combined fits both hobbies perfectly. But I defiantly see why people use phones if not that interested in photography. Camera gear can get expensive so pointless if not in to it that much. And they will get you great images from what they use to be like. But I will continue with my camera.

RazorSix6

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A camera and tripod can be the heaviest and bulkiest pieces of kit in your bag. I've spent a long time with different cameras and I try to travel as light as possible. I have a Canon SX iS200 zoom compact that has been a mainstay for some while. It's referred to as a "travel camera" so its baggable and pocketable. It takes excellent pics and was well worth the money. It cost me 22 quid on ebay in A1 condition and came with a pukka Canon case.
I also use a Panasonic Lumix DMC fzr100 bridge camera with a Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Tripod. All second-hand. The camera has a superzoom, lens hood, Leica lens, 1080p HD video with stereo sound. What's not to like?
For lighting I have Nightsearcher headlamp and carry a 4D Maglite with LED Head as a backup, and also for use as a whackamole if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Nikon D750 I think is still highly loved by users. It’s quite loved and still rated highly by wildlife and sports photographers for it’s still fast speed and clear, crisp and well managed ISO photos.

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
I started off with a refurbed Nikon D40 for my 21st. Fuck i’ve been exploring a long time.

I’m currently on a D610 and my main go to lens is a sigma 24-70 f2.8. Which is big and heavy, which kind of does my head in a bit now.

I personally wouldn’t worry about what camera you have to start with. I’d go down the 2nd hand route to begin with as you will get a lot more for your money and usually with few lenses to start with. Pick an amount you’re happy to spend, then see whats available. There’s plenty of comparison websites about to pit a few up against each other and make your choice from there.

Don’t forget a tripod though.

I started on a D40 with a sigma 10-20, it was a dream combo if you got a good copy of the sigma.

I have a 24-70 and the size of it fucks me off to be honest. I have the lightweight 18-35 UWA that’s pretty good, and normally carry a 35mm f1.4 for arty stuff. It’s all pretty heavy

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
I started on a D40 with a sigma 10-20, it was a dream combo if you got a good copy of the sigma.

I have a 24-70 and the size of it fucks me off to be honest. I have the lightweight 18-35 UWA that’s pretty good, and normally carry a 35mm f1.4 for arty stuff. It’s all pretty heavy

Yeah my 24-70 is my go to but it really really does my head in the size and weight of it. I’ve also got a 50 f1.4 which i love but don’t use enough.

I’d love to go mirrorless but it’s really not worth spaffing the cash considering i already have more than enough camera for what i do with it 😂

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
Yeah my 24-70 is my go to but it really really does my head in the size and weight of it. I’ve also got a 50 f1.4 which i love but don’t use enough.

I’d love to go mirrorless but it’s really not worth spaffing the cash considering i already have more than enough camera for what i do with it 😂

I’d love mirrorless, but I’ve decided to drop the cash on a huge holiday instead lol

Recently made the change to mirrorless (Sony A7iii) and honestly wouldn’t go back. Used a D7100 before and the one thing that I do miss is that it felt more rugged and solid than the Sony, which is a big selling point for this game but just have to be more careful with it I guess!

I do feel I could drop the D750 down a mine shaft and it’d still work lol.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I used a Nikon D3100 for years before getting a Fuji XT3, there was nothing that I didn't like about the D3100 in all honesty but just fancied a change.

The good thing about the Nikon was the abundance of cheap but good lenses that are on the second hand market, you can put together a great kit on a limited budget.

I do love the mirrorless though, it's a lot more compact and lightweight (until you stick an enormous wide angle on the front of it). I'm used to lugging a bag and tripod around so the effort of having to carry more than just a phone doesn't bother me, plus the bag is useful for other stuff.

I've never really gotten on with phone cameras for this sort of stuff, but I know others produce some extraordinary stuff with theirs so it is of course doable!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I used a Nikon D3100 for years before getting a Fuji XT3, there was nothing that I didn't like about the D3100 in all honesty but just fancied a change.

The good thing about the Nikon was the abundance of cheap but good lenses that are on the second hand market, you can put together a great kit on a limited budget.

I do love the mirrorless though, it's a lot more compact and lightweight (until you stick an enormous wide angle on the front of it). I'm used to lugging a bag and tripod around so the effort of having to carry more than just a phone doesn't bother me, plus the bag is useful for other stuff.

I've never really gotten on with phone cameras for this sort of stuff, but I know others produce some extraordinary stuff with theirs so it is of course doable!
I use the XT3 and I live it. But always had Fuji since I started. I love the lenses for Fuji as well.