real time web analytics
Report - - Gray Cancer Institute / Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood - May 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gray Cancer Institute / Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
The Gray Cancer Institute was founded by Louis Harold Gray at Mount Vernon Hospital in Northwood, north-west London, in 1953. Gray was a physicist who worked primarily on the effects of radiation on biological systems, and the Gray Cancer Institute was the world's first centre dedicated to radiobiology - that is, the study of the action of ionising radiation on living beings, specifically the health effects of such radiation. Gray joined Mount Vernon in 1933 as a hospital physicist and, in 1937, built an early example of a neutron generator on site, using it to study the biological effects of neutrons on the human body. In 1953 he founded what was originally called the British Empire Cancer Campaign Research Unit in Radiobiology at the hospital, in a new purpose built facility. In 1970 it was renamed to the Cancer Research Campaign's Gray Laboratory, and latterly in 2001 it became the Gray Cancer Institute. In 1962, researchers Ed Hart and Jack Boag discovered the 'hydrated electron' (or 'solvated electron') using a technique developed at the Institute called pulse radiolysis, where molecules are split apart, or disassociated from each other, through high energy ionising radiation pulses. This discovery initiated a whole new direction of research which is still ongoing today and is incredibly important in further understanding how radiation affects biological tissue, thus being of great use in developing more effective cancer treatments. Among his many other achievements in the field, Louis Harold Gray defined a new unit of radiation dosage - absorbed dose - which was later renamed after him as the gray.

The Gray Cancer Institute was primarily involved with research into the 'oxygen effect' on the radiosensitivity of tumours, and the building was home to a one of a kind 4 MeV heavy ion Van De Graff accelerator. In 2006 it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Oxford University and in 2008 moved to a new facility in Oxford, renamed the Oxford Institute for Radiation Oncology. Since closure it has been heavily fortified with steel grates over every window and door on every floor, and seemingly forgotten about. The Grade II* listed hospital chapel, built in 1905 in an Arts and Crafts style, is located next to the laboratory and in 1988 it was converted into the Fowler Scott Cancer Research Library, before being turned into the lecture theatre for the Gray Cancer Institute, it too has been sat vacant since 2008, however is well secured and somewhat looked after.

Mount Vernon Hospital itself is a very interesting place, it was designed by architect Fred Wheeler and built in it's current form in 1904 on what was the Northwood Park Estate. It was built partly as a sanatorium design with two long wings flanking a central section, however from the 'front' of the hospital it looks like a very pretty classic Victorian era London hospital. The original building is up there in my favourite old hospital buildings, mainly for the two wonderful almost entirely glazed rooms at either end of the long wings, and the admin/entrance building and the linked dining hall which leads to the Sanatorium wings via a corridor lined with stained glass visible all the way up the stairs. It is, however, very much still active, and has been added to a lot over the years with many extensions and expansions and new buildings opening up mainly to the western and northern parts of the land, however if it ever does close I think the interiors could be rather nice.

From the outside the building looks rather ungainly and indeed, ugly thanks to the unsympathetic addition of steel grates on every single window, door, and indeed skylight as we were to find. However internally, on the upper floors especially, it is largely completely original and unmodernised since construction, with some wonderfully decayed laboratory rooms. Parts of it, especially on the lower floors, are in a bit of a state and have been ripped apart a bit but given that it closed fifteen years ago it really isn't that bad. One room on the ground floor did however absolutely stink of natural gas, which is a bit of a worry, so there is that to bear in mind if you decide to visit. This was actually my third try at this particular location, a first visit late last summer was more of a pop in and have a wander/scout around in the middle of the day so we didn't really try too hard, I made a return at the start of this year where I was able to access the 1980s extension on one end but was then foiled by a bricked up walkway - I didn't take any photos as it was almost completely stripped of everything. But third time is the charm, as they say, and it went off without a hitch.

52930029425_0458d013c8_b.jpg

52929648946_75351b459b_b.jpg

52929649401_63ebc1cf49_b.jpg

52930086663_a0c2be4161_b.jpg

52929649371_733866d0cf_b.jpg

52930086208_0a91e55200_b.jpg

52929058187_9703e3007f_b.jpg

52929797424_23778a247a_b.jpg

52930086533_ef0fe91ea6_b.jpg

52929797784_7f5ea20eb0_b.jpg

52930029650_bbe2698159_b.jpg

52929797409_832012a21d_b.jpg

52930029595_07c11a54b6_b.jpg

52930086443_b7b814b1bd_b.jpg

52929797679_5a7aa1f3da_b.jpg

52930029570_5713fc3d91_b.jpg

52929797389_b31befde8f_b.jpg

52929058082_2614484d0a_b.jpg

52930029545_7c2e65f279_b.jpg

52929797644_dbda93d6e7_b.jpg

52930086328_932ed71f20_b.jpg

52930029290_96e3a5b02d_b.jpg

52929649041_3c297e700e_b.jpg

52929058017_9faeaf6037_b.jpg

52930029505_27a13af74c_b.jpg

52929648996_a8a8c1f6f4_b.jpg

52930086248_8ec47ce310_b.jpg

52930029445_c4ccc64810_b.jpg

The chapel, later library and lecture theatre, very well secured.

52930086093_3ab65151d7_b.jpg

As a postscript, this is the fantastic eastern end of the original 1904 hospital. It's very much in use, for records storage and other things, with the original chapel of rest - and presumably - mortuary in the foreground attached to it. The western end has a similar room, however it has been swallowed up by extensions and more modern developments so is largely obscured.

52929797279_a83bd30468_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!​
Bet the old hospital wind has some nice original features we had a look at it from outside almost like a greenhouse lol

Was there still the smell of gas from the rear of the derelict part? We got a whiff while doing a small part that connects to a basement

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Bet the old hospital wind has some nice original features we had a look at it from outside almost like a greenhouse lol

Was there still the smell of gas from the rear of the derelict part? We got a whiff while doing a small part that connects to a basement

Yeah one of the rooms downstairs absolutely stunk of gas so we left it well alone.

If the main hospital does close at some point I bet it has some seriously nice things inside.

tobytron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was pitch black but equipped with tripod and flashlight I took dozens of photos. Here are a few.

Sorry I completely forgot to post mine. Though those photos are much better than any photo my ancient camera would take anyway.

Also did anyone else see a damp white lump next to the van de graff generator?
I was wondering what it was last time I went

Waynester71

28DL Member
28DL Member
I am in shock!! I used to work here at the Gray Labs.. It was my first ever job, and I started in 1988 straight from school. I left in 1994, moving onto Wyeth-Ayerst.

I know this building intermittently…the labs, the main ‘animal holding’ units, which were named A,B & C.

Working weekends I used to have regular trouble with the main front doors (these by the way were lovely curved oak doors) when in setting the alarm for the whole building. More than once I put in the wrong code, so Police would turn up! lol

I am utterly shocked though.. I have such amazing memories at the Gray Labs. I literally stumbled upon this site because I wondered what was going on there today, and if anyone was still there when I was there.

My boss was Peter Russell.. there was me, Sheila, Ann, Beverly, Katherine, Mandy, Wayne, Adam, Ray… That was us, and a happier work environment you would not find.. Wonderful memories.

Sad to see it as it is. :(

Last edited:

pastybap

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was pitch black but equipped with tripod and flashlight I took dozens of photos. Here are a few.

DSC_4716.NEF_HDR-02.jpeg

DSC_4713.NEF_HDR-01.jpeg

DSC_4707.NEF_HDR-01-01.jpeg

Great pics with very good colour in them.

I am a bit concerned that this place has gained some popularity after being explored by certain youtubers, as places like this are secured with warning signs for good reason. What one particular yt goon in particular did not realize, even though was stood right next to it, is that this is an accelerator room, and not just an electrical generator. The big blue metal vessel would have been containment for the accelerator and the source, and I imagine that the source would have been removed, but even so I think it would be best not to enter that particular area, or if entered, not to disturb or touch anything in that room. The link below looks a bit similar to the one in the pics in the report:

Cheers on,
PB

stephtit

28DL Member
28DL Member
My late aunt worked here as the receptionist! I remember the overwhelming smell of what I can only describe as like a massive rabbit hutch. This was back in the 80’s/90’s and I was a naive child, I wasn’t really aware of what the place did. My late mum had cancer treatment at Mount Vernon between 2014 and 18 and quite often I’d venture off while while she rested and I remember seeing this boarded up, it looked so different from when it was functioning. The main MV building is absolutely magnificent, another late family member was admitted in the 90’s in the main building, you would walk though a beautiful wooden door and staircase, with high ceilings. The wards were one long kind of vista looking out onto North London hills and greenery. Later in 2014 the ground floor was used as the cancer suite but then stopped because the above level was so badly decaying on the balcony, it was unsafe. I can actually remember the old nissan huts (sorry if that’s spelt wrong!) before they were replaced with the modern block that’s there now. They had an almost military hospital feel, given that’s what they were actually used for originally, but it still felt that way! Sorry for the long commentary, I’ve spent so much time at this hospital over my 45 years, I hope not to spend anymore! Lastly, the last photo of the big glass window is, I believe the mortuary! My cousin used to work as cleaner in the 90’s and had access to most of the hospital and the underground corridors, she said the porters would often play tricks on the cleaners in the mortuary so you had to lock the doors to stop them coming in! There is a small block, boarded up not far from the front car park, I’m not sure why, I was told it was due to asbestos which would make sense. On a final note, I do think this hospitals days are numbered, the lack of maintenance is really showing and it would it be absolute shame for it to perish. The canteen has a huge stained glass window that is absolutely stunning, there are so many beautiful features not to mention that the cancer treatment here, although extremely stretched is still incredible. Thanks for reading if you got this far!
Hi my mum also worked reception desk in the 90s just out of interest who's your aunt I may of met her and you on my many visits. Strangley I was also a cleaner in the main hospital and can confirm the porters would play tricks on staff in mortuary.

Who has read this thread (Total: 437) View details