real time web analytics
Into the Zone: East Germany's Soviet Bases - September 2023 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Into the Zone: East Germany's Soviet Bases - September 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Once again, I find myself doing a mega report. Every time I tell myself I’ll make it shorter, only to end up writing more. I’ve done a big intro here to set the scene but there’s plenty. I’ve got to thank UrbanX from DP and @The_Raw for some general advice on visiting these bases. We didn’t get round to everything, but you’d need months for that. Each base is so big, covering just one would take all day. These vast wastelands of pine forest and Soviet architecture are the closest experience you’ll get to the Chernobyl exclusion zone without going there. The forests of Brandenburg surrounding Berlin are so vast, there’s so much undeveloped land and hence the bases just sit derelict. Access was almost always easy, as they’re so big they barely even have a fence. Many of the bases do have a shared guard from the same company checking in on them each day, but you’re unlikely to encounter much trouble. Anyway, let’s begin.

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-16-Faces_Blurred.jpg

The line up is Kummersdorf, Wünsdorf, Sperenburg, Forst Zinna, Jüterbog, and Saalow chapel

BACKGROUND

This adventure begins back in 2018. Myself and mate went on a brief holiday to visit our friend in Potsdam who was doing a year abroad whilst at uni. It was a weekend of visiting all sorts of things you'd never see over here. From Teufelsburg (an ex radio station used by the Americans in the Cold War) - kind of a hippy commune complete with a chicken strutting around whilst people played table tennis, to going clubbing to techno until 7am in a former power station. All part of the Berliner experience. We saw the 1936 Olympiastadion, the Berlin Wall, the site of the Fuhrerbunker, and other cultural sites, so it wasn't all merriment. However, we became hooked on Germany's culture and troubled past. It was a country that formed the epicentre of modern world history, a place where the biggest changes the world has ever seen unfold on its doorstep. This is what made it such an interesting place, especially Berlin.

36524131_1810540639025239_1133491755459543040_n.jpg

View from the student apartment block we stayed in in 2018, probably of DDR vintage

GOPR0346.JPG

Teufelsburg; a military base in West Berlin on the opposite side of this article’s focus

Then it fell quiet. For a few years, we'd fantasized about returning but it was always a pipe dream. We had to make do by watching Deutschland '83. Of course, the WW2 history interested us, but it was the freshness of the Cold War that captured us most - how the country switched hands from one extreme of the political spectrum to another, and how that shaped the world our parents grew up in. With Covid, travelling became a distant prospect, and the occasional tidbit online would lead me to trawling Google Maps and marking out different abandoned military bases, but we didn't act upon it until a heavy night in the pub this year until we were accidentally served 6 rum and lemonades. A happy accident I suppose, as the conversation we had led to us deciding to finally do what we'd always wanted to. After a stressful week of booking flights, accommodation and organising a hire car abroad for the first time ever, we found ourselves on the plane.

BACK IN THE DDR

If you don't know, the Deutsche Demokratische Republik is what we know in the West as East Germany. Whilst not directly part of the Soviet Union, it was a communist puppet state under the Warsaw Pact alliance and therefore the Russians had plenty of military infrastructure based in Germany as we will soon see. When German territory was divided up after WW2 by the Allied, the country was split in half, and the Soviet Russians got the eastern half. Berlin was within this, and in itself was split in two so the West still had access to the capital. Just thought it's worth clearing this up.

We arrived in Berlin. Making our way across the city, we picked up the hire car, which turned out to be a brand new BMW Series 3. In Essex, BMWs aren't so romantic when one's inches from your behind on the drive to work, but over here this German engineering seemed to have a sense of allure. Or maybe it was the way the reception lady said 'beh em veh'. After a tense first drive to the airbnb; situated in an idyllic eastern suburb, we unloaded our kit before heading back into town.

PXL_20230902_154258668.jpg

Arriving at the Airbnb in the hire car

We were kicking things off with some DDR cuisine at an excellent restaurant called Volkskammer. The restaurant in East Berlin was established by a man seeking to recreate the nostalgia of growing up in the DDR as a child, and hence both its decor and menu is about as authentic a representation of the 1970s as it gets. No hipster fetishization, just an authentic travel back in time as well as place. In fact the food seemed kind of how my dad describes the make-do dinners of the 70s back in England. I would absolutely recommend it, the staff were lovely and it was unique.

Volkskammer-107.jpg

Volkskammer-110.jpg

PXL_20230902_181852594.jpg

Jaegerschnitzel

So this trip wasn't all about old barracks, we also saw several power stations which I'll cover in a future post. We had a full week off work which was a rarity, and hence we were willing to do a bit more than just urbex to really soak in the atmosphere. We had a day off exploring to go into central Berlin, and first revisited some of the classic central sights to take some better photographs. The USSR's occupation of Germany began at the end of WW2, with the Allied victory in the Battle of Berlin, so I think this serves as a nice starting point.

BerlinCentre-106.jpg

The Reichstag; one of the Battle of Berlin's key locations.

BerlinCentre-113.jpg

Tiergarten Soviet Memorial to the USSR soliders who fought for the Allied victory in the Battle of Berlin.

We next stopped off at Alexanderplatz and Karl Marx Allee. This was in some ways the centrepiece of East Germany. The architecture is similar to Brutalism here in the UK, but it actually looked nice and has been cared for better, which helped to appreciate its' original Space Age appeal. Soviet murals adorned the buildings, expressing hopes of a bright future that never was. I'll include a few shots below to set the scene.

AlexanderplatzBerlin-6.jpg

Mural at the Haus des Lehrers

AlexanderplatzBerlin-13.jpg

A model of the 1957 Sputnik 1 atop the Cafe Moskau

All this fluff might not be directly relevant to the military bases to follow, but we started to really see how the way of life of the DDR bled into every aspect of society. From the architecture and ideology, to the military and its’ war against the West. This was the perfect primer for what came next. Now time for the actual bases.

KUMMERSDORF

After a good night's sleep, we confronted the shaky prospect of a journey in the BMW to our first explore. Ducko handled it like a champ, unlike myself break-checking an innocent Fiat, and we hit up an abandoned power station. After a successful morning, we drove to the first military base where the exploring here begins (long intro ikr).

KummersdorfBarracks-3.jpg

The gatehouse to the tank area

KummersdorfBarracks-1.jpg

A substation just beyond the gatehouse

This first barracks in Kummersdorf began as a Prussian barracks in 1875, so this one goes way back. It saw continual use, and by the 1930s it was used for ballistics testing. From 1935, work was carried out to develop aircraft rocket motors. Wikipedia ominously reads ‘After 1938 Kummersdorf was used for nuclear research’ with no further explanation or source.

KummersdorfBarracks-37.jpg

Gatehouse to the original barracks from the Prussian era on the opposite side of the road to the rest

KummersdorfBarracks-43.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-42.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-48.jpg

By WW2, the base shifted role to a tank/armoured vehicle facility at the onset of WW2, where the Nazis learnt about captured tank designs including the Soviet T34, American Sherman, and British Churchill. Many of the iconic German tanks were first tested here, such as the Panther, Jagdpanzer, and Tiger II. The most amazing tank developed here was the legendary super-heavy Maus tank, of which only two were ever built due to its ridiculous size and weight. The curved structure was actually a hall built for working on the Maus tank. Basically this place was cutting edge and of world significance to WW2. It was probably built by slaves, as the construction here was shockingly bad and floors were made of hollow bricks cemented together.

KummersdorfBarracks-6.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-14.jpg

The Maus tank hall

KummersdorfBarracks-10.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-9.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-16.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-18.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-22.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-34.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-29.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-31.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-25.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-26.jpg

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User

KummersdorfBarracks-17.jpg

A few very Russian looking bits and pieces

KummersdorfBarracks-23.jpg

After the war, the Soviet Russians took the base over like many, and continued vehicle work there as evidenced by the metal signage featuring an MT-LB fighting vehicle and Kamaz truck on the side of the gatehouse. As we crossed through several shoddy fences and approached a large warehouse, we noticed it appeared to start looking more active. This section was an active business yard and somehow we dodged a worker walking around at the far end of a track, so we didn’t press further.

KummersdorfBarracks-52.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-51.jpg

KummersdorfBarracks-63.jpg

So it was the end of day one of exploring. After going back to the airbnb, we cracked open a few beers, ahd some discussion about WW2, and opened up a big old window to cool the flat down. Now we had a third man joining us, and whilst being unsure if he’d make it we suddenly we heard him call up to us from the street. It was quite surreal. Upon entering the flat, he told us he could hear us discussing Hitler from across the street. Probably not a good move when in Germany.​

WÜNSDORF

The following day, it was actually my 27th birthday. Rather than doing something normal, we decided to try one of the finest Nazi-Soviet relics of the region. Wunsdorf’s Haus der Offiziere looks epic, complete with some of the grandest architecture. I’d heard on several accounts that the way this worked was you go to a gate, give an NPC named Jurgen a couple of euros, and he’d let you roam free around the buildings. However, this was several years ago, and upon arriving we found two very non-Jurgen looking blokes at the gate. One was a security guard, and I don’t know who the other was but after explaining in English we were told that Jurgen no longer resides there and that it had now been bought out as a ticket-only tourist attraction. Pretty gutting but we had little choice but to turn away. Instead, we explored a couple of big barrack blocks over the road that were wide open. I’m not sure what their exact purpose was but one appeared to have a fairly grand entrance so perhaps wasn’t for grunts. Very plain, but still something. It bears mentioning that in many of the bases we saw fresh signs of squatting, something which you seldom see in the UK.

WunsdorfBarracks-1.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-2.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-4.jpg

Wunsdorf was established from 1870 again by the Prussian Army as a range area, but by WW1 developed into a large barracks with a railway connection. It became the headquarters of the Wehrmacht by the 1930s; like Kummersdorf a pretty significant base, was even hailed as Europe’s biggest military complex. Post-war, it became the headquarters of the Group of Soviet Forces in Germany, which is pretty significant to this storyline given that it was due to this that all these bases existed in the Soviet era. At the time, it was walled off and heavily controlled, but has now partially been converted into a residential village amongst the ruins.

WunsdorfBarracks-10.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-12.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-14.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-15.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-16.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-17.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-18.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-20.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-22.jpg

Inside a small cinema room

WunsdorfBarracks-24.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-27.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-30.jpg

WunsdorfBarracks-26.jpg

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Soviet urbex is something I really should have done more of when I lived in Europe, there's something magical about it that I can't quite explain.

Wastelandr

Regular User

SAALOW CHAPEL

After the quick mooch at Wunsdorf, we were feeling a bit deflated. For something quick and easy, we decided to stop at a little chapel tucked away in the forest with what looks a bit like a mortuary. It may have been used by the nearby military base at Saalow, but I have no idea really. It was a pretty small explore but the medical area at the rear was pretty interesting. There is a derelict base or factory next to this, but we didn't really wanna spend too long here when we didn't know if it was any good.

ChapelSperenburg-1.jpg

ChapelSperenburg-2.jpg

ChapelSperenburg-3.jpg

ChapelSperenburg-4.jpg

ChapelSperenburg-5.jpg

SPERENBURG

To finish up the day, we weren’t far from the massive barracks of Sperenburg so decided to take a look. Most of this was of Cold War construction and served a connecting airfield. Upon getting into the base we came across two German explorer lads who said they managed to just swerve security only 10 minutes ago by hiding in a bush. They said they'd walked to the airfield and back, and when I looked at it on the map it was miles away through the forest. Given that it was approaching sunset we just explored a couple of buildings and did a loop through the barracks before leaving. Once again, strong Pripyat vibes with the Soviet apartment blocks.

SperenburgBarracks-1.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-12.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-3.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-4.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-8.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-6.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-7.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-5.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-9.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-10.jpg

The biggest thing we saw in the time we had was this large mess hall containing kitchens and other facilities. Didn’t feel the healthiest to be inside as became a bit of a theme with some of these gnarly places. ‘Asbestos pillows’ probably isn’t a term you want to find yourself saying often.

SperenburgBarracks-13.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-14.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-15.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-16.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-19.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-20.jpg

Sperenburg's barracks again had Prussian origins, and was used as a military laboratory/test site in conjunction with Kummersdorf. After capture by the Red Army in May 1945, the base sat largely disused with some occasional training usage, until the late 1950s when it was considered for a heavy transport airfield. The basic layout dates to 1958-60, with additions into the 1970s.

SperenburgBarracks-21.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-23.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-24.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-28.jpg

We managed to avoid any signs of security, and on the way out found ourselves jogging straight down the main road between endless abandoned Soviet apartments like something from CoD4. These places really are ghost towns.

SperenburgBarracks-25.jpg

SperenburgBarracks-26.jpg

This had been a very long day exploring. Not bad for a birthday, although the power stations did seem to have a bit more of a wow factor. I suppose the appeal of the bases is their wilderness element, that you can spend hours roaming a post-apocalyptic looking ghost town soaking in the atmosphere. Given that we had a lot to see and their was an element of tension given it was our first time both driving and exploring in Germany, it probably wasn't as immersive as it could have been, but we got stuck in nonetheless. We returned back to our own base, showered up and then hit up Lake Müggelsee close to our apartment to enjoy the sunset.

PXL_20230905_180030602.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User

FORST ZINNA

This was one of the more memorable bases, and whilst it had some of the best Soviet murals and decorations, it was an absolute graft. We were in nice and easy but had been warned it would take ages to find the decent stuff, so we adopted a ‘search and clear’ type tactic, hitting each building, often identical in layout, and checking first the basement, then the floors, then the attic. We can still probably draw the floor plan in our sleep. Most of the buildings here were from the Nazi era, clearly of a more traditional construction and painted in a yellow that now haunts my dreams, although the Soviets had added a few extra concrete buildings. Most of the buildings here are utterly empty, so you don’t expect to find much at first. Given how many we covered, it felt like we hadn’t found many good bits, but upon reviewing the pics you realise how much we found. We still missed some stuff though, but we made a good effort. One of the best for Soviet murals and things if you can find them.

ForstZinna-10.jpg

ForstZinna-18.jpg

ForstZinna-14.jpg

ForstZinna-16.jpg

ForstZinna-1.jpg

ForstZinna-2.jpg

ForstZinna-13.jpg

ForstZinna-19.jpg

The base at Forst Zinna was originally built in 1943 as 'Adolf Hitler Lager'. It was built during German re-armament and included a surrounding military training area. The barracks must have been quite substantial as it included various leisure facilities including a cinema still present. It was first used by the SS, then after 1935 as a training camp for Juterbog artillery school. From 1940, it was used as a tank drivers' training school, before housing the Reich Labour Service infantry division in 1945.

adolfhitlerlager-300x200.jpg

ForstZinna-20.jpg

ForstZinna-21.jpg

ForstZinna-23.jpg

This was the most Russian thing I've ever seen - a makeshift attic gym.
The barbell was made simply from a scaffold pole with two locomotive wheels bolted onto the ends :rofl.

ForstZinna-22.jpg

ForstZinna-25.jpg

After the way, it was used by the Soviets as a refugee camp, including for the former inmates of Nazi concentration camps. It temporarily became a training academy for the political elite of the DDR, before the Soviet Army took the base over in 1950, first occupied by the staff of the 18th Guards Tank Army. This continued when in the 1970s, a construction battalion moved in also. In January 1988, the Forst Zinna railway disaster occurred when an express train crashed into a T-64A tank which was on the tracks - seems a bit of a bad place to park if you ask me.

ForstZinna-26.jpg

ForstZinna-29.jpg

Some sort of mess building

ForstZinna-30.jpg

ForstZinna-31.jpg

ForstZinna-32.jpg

ForstZinna-33.jpg

ForstZinna-34.jpg

Water works

ForstZinna-39.jpg

ForstZinna-40.jpg

This small partially-collapsed building appeared to have been turned into an informal museum for daring visitors

ForstZinna-41.jpg

ForstZinna-42.jpg

ForstZinna-47.jpg

ForstZinna-48.jpg

The theatre/cinema building

ForstZinna-49.jpg

ForstZinna-51.jpg

ForstZinna-52.jpg

Look at that splendid mural. This was perhaps our favourite of the trip. How 80s can you get? That's straight out of Top Gun.
A sheer display of Soviet military power, very difficult to believe that something so vibrant had survived so well.​

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Forst Zinna continues. It was huge and took so long to even see part of it. When I look back, I'm pleased with what we saw, but at the time it felt pretty empty. What you're seeing here is very much the highlights reel! The accommodation blocks below was nearer the back, but they contained a lot more good stuff than the first few.

ForstZinna-54.jpg

ForstZinna-57.jpg

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vibes

ForstZinna-60.jpg

ForstZinna-65.jpg

ForstZinna-66.jpg

ForstZinna-67.jpg

ForstZinna-68.jpg

ForstZinna-69.jpg

ForstZinna-72.jpg

Seize the means of production comrade!

ForstZinna-63.jpg

One of the bases' few modern Soviet blocks
ForstZinna-74.jpg

ForstZinna-61.jpg

ForstZinna-73.jpg

ForstZinna-75.jpg

Gas mask filter box?

Being out of water and food and being attacked by insects and heat, we decided to call it a day after spending 5 hours there. Upon walking back down the road to the car, a security van was driving towards us. It stopped next to us, where inside there was a fairly elderly man with a tashce. Upon thinking we were in trouble, he did a hand gesture of taking a photograph and laughed as though to say ‘I know what you’ve been doing’, then just drove off. Although trespass is actually illegal in Germany, by every account it was laughably relaxed.​

Wastelandr

Regular User

JÜTERBOG FLIGHT SCHOOL

This was our last day for exploring, and we wanted to end on a high note. However, after a week of exploring both power stations and military bases, we’d come to the realisation that power stations are a lot more fun. After all this, I’m going to say that whilst the barracks are a great experience, they’re also very tiring and more akin to a forest hike than pure urbex. So after the pure grind of Forst Zinna, we weren’t too fond of another full day in the wild. There was one Soviet highlight that we still wanted to see, and that was the famous mural of the Soviet Army soldier at a CCCP flight school barracks at Juterbog. Fortunately, we wouldn’t have to search every building to find it as we knew exactly where it was, and it wasn’t too far from the perimeter, so it was a straightforward in and out operation.

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-26.jpg

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-27.jpg

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-2.jpg

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-3.jpg

Cleaned up some of the graffiti in photoshop

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-12.jpg

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-13.jpg

PIC_1441.JPG

Peeling mural of the USSR's 1986 Mir space station

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-17.jpg

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-6.jpg

No idea what this mural was of but I like to think of it as East vs. West - two worlds collide

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-7.jpg

A very mouldy theatre room

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-29.jpg

Some sort of garage or entrance area to the gymnasium

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-30.jpg

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-35.jpg

Inside the basketball court

CCCPFlightSchoolJuterbog-33.jpg

CONCLUSIONS

After exploring Juterbog, we spent the rest of the day in Potsdam, where we had begun our interest in Germany back in 2018 to enjoy a few beers, a currywust and the view from the top of St. Nikolaikirche. The mission was complete and we could now enjoy the rest of the final day.

PXL_20230908_142111872.jpg

Potsdam-3.jpg

Had to get a Trabant in there somewhere

Potsdam-9.jpg

View across DDR-era apartments in Potsdam from St. Nikolaikirche

So that concludes the German excursion. Stay tuned for the power stations, but I wanted to keep the two topics separate. I’m glad to have finally seen the military bases I’d had my eye on for years. It was quite a bizarre experience on the whole, going to Germany to stumble across bits of Russia. It really made me realise that these were the ruins of a fallen empire. With murals conveying optimistic imagery of space satellites, cruise missiles and MIG jets, the Soviet Union was a world we can never fully understand. History is written by the victor, and whilst the USSR was both practically and morally deeply flawed, I think visiting these bases made me see it in a different way. People’s entire version of reality existed until suddenly it didn’t. Since the Berlin wall fell in 1989 and the Cold War ended in 1991, the Russians retreated and left these bases abandoned as they have remained since.

I'm going to leave you all with a picture of the total beers consumed at the airbnb and this very appropriate banger:

PXL_20230908_204134073.jpg

Auf Wiedersehen!​

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Soviet urbex is something I really should have done more of when I lived in Europe, there's something magical about it that I can't quite explain.
For sure, I found it surreal. It made me realise the Soviet Union really was alien to us, then there's just the remains of it sitting there in a country we think of as fairly close to home (compared to Russia anyway).

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really enjoyed this and my sort of thing totally. I would prob pick going these over the power stations. I could spend hours in these buildings. Great report and pics. Love how the food pics always come in these reports ha ha.

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Really enjoyed this and my sort of thing totally. I would prob pick going these over the power stations. I could spend hours in these buildings. Great report and pics. Live how the food pics always come in these reports ha ha.
Thanks Mikey. I think the quantity of buildings is slightly overwhelming to the point where you end up taking it for granted, but I do get a buzz out of seeing the pics. One day any untouched remnants from WW2/Cold War like this will be a distant memory so glad to have seen it.

Haha I do love these mega reports even if they're a bit lengthy. Part of the fun is telling the story of the whole adventure and usually most of the work comes before the explore itself :rofl

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Top-notch report as usual mate and as I've said before I love the style of this report as it is more a story of your trip rather than just a description of each place. Really nice pics. The makeshift barbell made me laugh. Any pumps in those Waterworks or just the old tanks?

Who has read this thread (Total: 166) View details