real time web analytics
Report - - Municipal Secondary School for Girls (Greek Street Annexe) - Stockport - November 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Municipal Secondary School for Girls (Greek Street Annexe) - Stockport - November 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Municipal Secondary School for Girls (Greek Street Annexe)

Visited with @UrbandonedTeam and @huyt.urb

History from HistoricEngland

Built in 1909 as a secondary school, the Greek Street Annexe later became a Girls' Grammar School and finally an annexe of Stockport College. The Grade II listing describes it as "Council secondary school, by Cheers & Smith of Blackburn and Twickenham, consisting of Red brick, stone dressings and banding, terracotta mouldings, Westmoorland graduated slate roofs, red terracotta ridge tiles. Tall brick stacks. Cast-iron railings."
In 1970 the school merged with the Technical School, situated to its immediate east, which subsequently became Stockport College of Further and Higher Education. The two buildings are linked by a modern corridor.

3065518-f79ea49a.jpg

External nabbed from geograph.org.uk

We had seen this posted on YouTube before our visit and it was from the video that we decided to put it on our list with the idea of checking it out when we had a spare afternoon. It was when @Esoteric Eric succeeded that we decided to head back to have a wander around. The building has some nice features alongside working power in the older section of the school and it was worthwhile taking some photos with it being relatively close to us all. The red-brick section is alarmed and they’re practically impossible to miss if you wish to see anything of interest. We watched security walk around inside, turning on and off lights as he completed his checks before heading out undetected.

This lovely, tiled stairwell linked the updated college block to the dated one. It was here we began to encounter the first sensors.

DSC04189-2.jpg

As previously mentioned, the power worked throughout which was an added bonus in addition to the wood panelling lining the corridors and rooms.

DSC04190.jpg

DSC04193.jpg

It appears that at one point, this hall was much more substantial in size, but the school seems to have put some partitioning in place to better purpose the space.

DSC04192.jpg

A shot from above the hall.

DSC04195.jpg

We continued upstairs and the rest of the explore consisted of empty but equally intriguing rooms due to the architecture.

DSC04200-2.jpg

DSC04199.jpg

DSC04197.jpg

DSC04194.jpg

DSC04196.jpg

DSC04201.jpg

Once we had finished here, we quickly made our way over to the modern block which had no security measures. This way we could spend as much time as we wanted looking around if/when security arrived.

A view of the large, modern section that was last used by Stockport College.

DSC04208.jpg

The new development linked to the old annexe was stripped and vandalised in points so didn’t take long to get around.

The main entrance.

DSC04182.jpg

Corridor.

DSC04181.jpg

The gym.

DSC04180.jpg

The lecture theatres were surprisingly still intact; all the seats were still in situ.

DSC04187.jpg

DSC04188.jpg

To finish off we meandered around the expansive roof. Up here there were 3 or 4 separate industrial esque blocks housing multiple fans designed to a bright colour scheme.

DSC04215.jpg

DSC04203.jpg

DSC04204.jpg

Roof shots:

DSC04205.jpg

DSC04217.jpg

DSC04207.jpg

DSC04214.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

Thanks for looking!​

Stevoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was in here last weekend. The place is in a rite state now compared to your pictures, But still some interesting areas to explore.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was in here last weekend. The place is in a rite state now compared to your pictures, But still some interesting areas to explore.
Seems to have full sec with dogs now when I drive past.

Stevoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Seems to have full sec with dogs now when I drive past.
No secca when we went (was a Sunday night) although I did notice a weird sounding alarm when we were in the annex part (where the sports hall is) It was very feint but spent a good couple hours there without any bother.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Dam, I meant to do this localish one before I moved down south and totally forgot about it. I had heard it's going down hill fast?

Who has read this thread (Total: 242) View details