real time web analytics
Report - - Paris Catacombs, March 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Paris Catacombs, March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

2wid

ratamahatta
28DL Full Member
Three days spent under Paris with some excellent company. Big thanks to Jobs for organizing, Maniac for driving, and to everyone in the group for making it an awesome trip :thumb

This report is just a general overview and my personal highlight of the Catacombs, place is huge it would probably take another ten visits to properly document it. This are few snaps i managed to take with a compact camera (dropped the idea of taking DSLR down there).

Visited with: AndyJ, Bigjobs, Eliot5200, Franconian, Frosty, Gaj, Hils, Keïteï, Maniac and SirJonnyP.

History: Catacombs of Paris are built within a forty meter layer of Lutécien limestone, it built up over millions of years and was originally covered by ocean. As a proof, fossils of small sea creatures can be seen in the rocks in several areas of the Catacombs.

The area began to be quarried by the Romans in open air quarries. It wasn't until 12th century until the technique of digging tunnels to extract the rock was used.

In 1777, Quarries Inspection was formed due to high amount of collapses within the tunnels. Inspectors would mark the galleries they have checked by inscribing the date, initials and sometimes abbreviation of the work carried out.

Term Catacombs is used as a general expression of the Great Southern Network (GRS) but in fact the actual catacombs are only a small area of this network called The General Ossuary. In 19th century with major overcrowding in the cemeteries, polluting the soil and causing health problems among Parisians, it has been decided to move six million corpses from graveyards over a 75 year period into the underground tunnels.

Today the Catacombs are mix of old quarry workings, smooth brick tunnels built from waste rock, aqueducts, old telecom tunnels, German and French bunkers from the war. Local French explorers continue the history of the Catacombs by building rooms out of the rock in various areas of the network creating a living underworld, a life below ground where people meet, explore, relax and party.

On with the pictures.

[layout shamelessly stolen from jST]

22.jpg

27.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07a.jpg

08.jpg

28.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

29.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Thanks for watching.​

Last edited:

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Rather bloody nice good sir! Was an awesome weekend with a brilliant group & your shots do it proud.

Well done mate :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nice to read a short compacted version of the history makes a lot of sense,some nice shots of what looks like a decent trip out..and why is jobs dangling his privates in the last pic :)

elliot5200

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report 2wid – liking those crawl shots.
What really struck me was the wide range of people we saw down there – teenage ravers, kids with their families, history enthusiasts. Wasn’t half as “secretâ€￾ as I thought!
Three days doesn’t do the place justice though – definitely another trip is in order :thumb

2wid

ratamahatta
28DL Full Member
Thanks, it was pleasure to meet you.

mate, this photos are very, very good, I like them much

All thanks to your magic lantern, well done for bringing it along :)

What really struck me was the wide range of people we saw down there – teenage ravers, kids with their families, history enthusiasts. Wasn't half as “secretâ€￾ as I thought!
Three days doesn’t do the place justice though – definitely another trip is in order :thumb

Agreed, it definitely surpassed my expectations too [although i haven't seen kids with families, but bonsoir lot made up for it] :p:

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Cracking shots there :thumb gutted I couldn't make it but this has just jumped to the top of the to do list!

sirjonnyp

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sweet report dude, I swear I didn't see you with your camera out but you've captured some great shots. Looking forward to the next one.

Who has read this thread (Total: 8) View details