real time web analytics
Report - - R3 Bunker and RAF Missile Base - East Anglia - March 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - R3 Bunker and RAF Missile Base - East Anglia - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cycled down the coast to this place, it's a large site above and below ground with a some interesting history. The Manor nearby was turned into a research station for developing Radar systems in the 30's and soon the estate was converted into an RAF base including a three level bunker, built in the 50's which I've covered below. It incorporated an uplit radar display showing the whole of SouthEast England and on which would have been projected any aircraft. During the cold war this was used as a middle base as well, some of the interior of the bunker was different to other ROTOR sites that I've seen. The manor itself is utilised as a school now, didn't go near it.

It was built to withstand a nuclear assault and contained rather large living quarters, these have all been stripped bare. A lot of the engineering section had been left as-is.

There's plenty of interesting stuff above ground as well, I ran out of time to check out the area properly.

;)

2FpQAQU.jpg

Stairs down into B1.

sJAphf4.jpg

These are the blast doors at the main entrance to the complex.

Cn6p2z6.jpg

B1 Hallway.

jTwT3Qr.jpg

Engineering, power and ventilation rooms. B2.

ViazjXx.jpg

Guidelines for dealing with bomb calls.

LrgrynN.jpg

Switchboard.

4hu7c0k.jpg

Found these in a drawer.

JhyhwSU.jpg

B2 corridor.

70K097b.jpg

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Thanks for sharing looks in good nick ,luckily I have Friday off work........Anglia here I come