real time web analytics
Report - - Regal/ Granada Cinema, Kettering - January 2024 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Regal/ Granada Cinema, Kettering - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
January 2024

The Visit
Visited with @stranton and @coolboyslim, we didn't really know what to expect with this one having only seen a few reports from several years ago. I managed too find some chatter online that the building had been stripped for conversion into a restaurant, as we were in the area we thought it'd be rude not to have a quick look at what (if anything) was left of this once beautiful cinema.

The History
The Regal Cinema was built on the site of Goosey & Sons' drapery store in Kettering High Street and officially opened on 26th December 1936 by Earl Spencer (Princess Di’s father). It was built for and operated by the independent Regal (Kettering) Ltd. headed by Cohen & Rafer. The vast £70,000 super-cinema was designed by noted cinema architect George Coles, and had a unique frontage, dominated by a tower lit by a neon halo visible for miles around. Five pairs of entrance doors led into a large foyer with a pay desk on each side. There was a cafe for the convenience of patrons. The elegant air-conditioned ultra-modern auditorium had 1,748 seats, with 1,164 luxury seats – grey in the stalls and 578 blue seats in the circle. The proscenium is 42ft wide, the stage 50ft wide and 18ft deep with footlights and an orchestra pit. There are 4 dressing rooms. An elaborate frilly curtain with 59 different patterns filled the proscenium. The stage was used for popular Sunday night band shows with top names like Joe Loss, Jack Hylton, Henry Hall and Nat Gonella. Other stars included singers Anne Zeigler and Webster Booth, pianists Rawicz and Landau, the legendary Crazy Gang, Flanagan and Allan, and forces sweetheart Vera Lynn. One of the early films shown at the Regal Cinema was “Queen of Hearts” starring Gracie Fields, and the classic “Gone with the Wind”, which played for two weeks – unheard of in the provinces.

In June 2019 the police entered from the rear of what was thought to be a vacant building to find a huge cannabis factory operating in the building. Plants were said to be worth £ half a million The building was most recently occupied by Gala Bingo who closed the the branch in 2018. Since then plans have been submitted to transform the property into a banquet hall, however work seems to have stalled recently with its future in doubt.

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema1.jpg

[1]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema13.jpg

[2] - Entrance Foyer

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema10.jpg

[3] - Entrance Foyer

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema2.jpg

[4]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema5.jpg

[5]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema6.jpg

[6]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema11.jpg

[7]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema12.jpg

[8]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema4.jpg

[9] - First Floor Ladies Toilets

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema3.jpg

[10]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema7.jpg

[11]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema8.jpg

[12] - Projection Room

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema9.jpg

[13]

GRONK_Kettering_Cinema1.jpg

[14]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fuji XT-2, 10-24mm​

Last edited:

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Visited with @stranton, I’ll stick it in here as it’s definitely not worth a full report. We were a bit late to party with this one with the place now being completely stripped.

Originally opened as the Regal - an elaborate “super-cinema” with a streamlined deco auditorium designed by noted cinema architect, George Coles. The stage facilities have hosted many famous names in the past. The distinctive brick exterior features a cylindrical tower, that was originally lit by a neon halo.

The building was most recently occupied by Gala Bingo who closed the the branch in 2018. Since then plans have been submitted to transform the property into a banquet hall, however work seems to have stalled recently with its future in doubt.

So to sum it up, it’s propped shagged
Beautiful building seen that carpet in a few places

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely covered, its always been a bit crap IMO, There were asians clearing the main hall last time I stuck my head in, then they just stopped for some reason.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
How is this past its best? Almost better without the bingo shit in it!

It did have a bit more gear in the projection room though didn't it?
yeah projectors were cleared out about 3yr back I spoke to guy who was working there & they had removed them.

Dmc68

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spent many Saturday mornings in there watching cartoons as a kid, whilst my parents went shopping. :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 152) View details