real time web analytics
Report - - St Martins Hospital, Kent - November 2022 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Martins Hospital, Kent - November 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
St Martins Hospital

This site has been well covered in recent times, there are several reports on here about it, but I thought I'd chuck mine on here too, because why not…

The site originally was home to a manor house, called Stone House. This part was utilized and converted to accommodate female patients. William Joseph Jennings and Gray were the architects responsible for designing the layout of the site. It is laid out in what's called a' Compact Arrow Plan'.

The Compact Arrow Plan revolutionized the design and construction of asylums throughout the UK. The Compact Arrow Plan was thought up by architect George Thomas Hine, he specialized in asylum architecture. Hine's asylum designs had several distinguishing features that can be used to identify any of his many projects. All were built in red brick and had grey stonework. His later designs often feature a polychrome white/red brick pattern. There is a long list of asylums he's responsible for designing or redeveloping.
Hine died in 1916, but his legacy lived on, and his design is still used to this day.

Opening around 1902, under the name of Canterbury Borough Asylum, it was one of the smallest lunatic asylums around at the time containing around 250 beds, it's still a big site though, I found myself getting lost quite a few times!
Just after world war one, the site was renamed to Canterbury City Mental Hospital. The term asylum was dropped in favour of mental hospital. This was part of a national trend at the time to modernize the image of mental health institutions.
Few changes were made as far as new buildings were concerned, although numbers of patients increased in the period prior to World War Two. This was partially due to a number of patients from the Kent County Mental Hospital at Chartham being relocated when its new admission's hospital was requisitioned for the War effort.

After the end of World War Two, the site got its name of St Martin's Hospital, named after a local church. Various changes were made to the site over the years, and some services such as the stores and laundry being moved off-site, to the nearby St. Augustine’s Hospital.

After the introduction of 'Care In The Community' in the early 1980s, the hospital went into a period of decline and patient services significantly reduced. The site hung on during the early 2000s, but eventually, in late 2019 it had to shut its doors most of the site was sold off to Homes England, the majority of the site now being used for police training.

Me and @dansgas1000 made the drive to Canterbury after a tip off from a friend, a short walk through some woodland and we were in. We spent the best part of 6 hours inside, only leaving as we run out of daylight (oh the joys of winter!)
There was a security style hut out front, but we didn't see another soul all day.
I'd have preferred a bit more decay, but can't grumble! I'm still glad we managed to get this one done as it was a nice explore.

An old photo from back in the day St Martin's Hospital, Canterbury - County Asylums

st martins (2).PNG

IMG_5371.jpg

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5359-HDR.jpg

IMG_5356-HDR.jpg

IMG_5354-HDR.jpg

IMG_5349-HDR.jpg

IMG_5346-HDR.jpg

IMG_5326-HDR.jpg

This part was very dark, I'm gald I managed to photograph it as I liked the artworks on the walls.

IMG_5323-HDR.jpg

IMG_5318-HDR.jpg

IMG_5299-HDR.jpg

IMG_5293-HDR.jpg

IMG_5267-HDR.jpg

Storage room for information and paperwork

IMG_5255-HDR.jpg

IMG_5230-HDR.jpg

IMG_5227-HDR.jpg

I like the leaves flowing in through the window in this shot.

IMG_5218-HDR.jpg

IMG_5202-HDR.jpg

IMG_5198-HDR.jpg

Ended up having an 'urbex shit' in this toilet. Luckily there was ample toilet paper.

IMG_5162-HDR.jpg

IMG_5154-HDR.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5142-HDR.jpg

IMG_5136-HDR.jpg

IMG_5132-HDR.jpg

Finally, some proper decay!

IMG_5120-HDR.jpg

IMG_5117-HDR.jpg

IMG_5111-HDR.jpg

IMG_5105-HDR.jpg

IMG_5078-HDR.jpg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great photos, it was a really nice place. I liked the main hall but I agree about the lack of decay, it was still interesting though. Bet it would look more photogenic in a few years time!

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great photos, it was a really nice place. I liked the main hall but I agree about the lack of decay, it was still interesting though. Bet it would look more photogenic in a few years time!
Thanks, yeah was a good day out wasn't it. Main hall was good, along with the green lamp room which I really liked, found our daft photo that we took, forgot we done one together!
Would be good to try it again in a few years if It's still there, as you say might be more decayed then.

IMG_5305 (3).jpg

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
St Martins Hospital

This site has been well covered in recent times, there are several reports on here about it, but I thought I'd chuck mine on here too, because why not…

The site originally was home to a manor house, called Stone House. This part was utilized and converted to accommodate female patients. William Joseph Jennings and Gray were the architects responsible for designing the layout of the site. It is laid out in what's called a' Compact Arrow Plan'.

The Compact Arrow Plan revolutionized the design and construction of asylums throughout the UK. The Compact Arrow Plan was thought up by architect George Thomas Hine, he specialized in asylum architecture. Hine's asylum designs had several distinguishing features that can be used to identify any of his many projects. All were built in red brick and had grey stonework. His later designs often feature a polychrome white/red brick pattern. There is a long list of asylums he's responsible for designing or redeveloping.
Hine died in 1916, but his legacy lived on, and his design is still used to this day.

Opening around 1902, under the name of Canterbury Borough Asylum, it was one of the smallest lunatic asylums around at the time containing around 250 beds, it's still a big site though, I found myself getting lost quite a few times!
Just after world war one, the site was renamed to Canterbury City Mental Hospital. The term asylum was dropped in favour of mental hospital. This was part of a national trend at the time to modernize the image of mental health institutions.
Few changes were made as far as new buildings were concerned, although numbers of patients increased in the period prior to World War Two. This was partially due to a number of patients from the Kent County Mental Hospital at Chartham being relocated when its new admission's hospital was requisitioned for the War effort.

After the end of World War Two, the site got its name of St Martin's Hospital, named after a local church. Various changes were made to the site over the years, and some services such as the stores and laundry being moved off-site, to the nearby St. Augustine’s Hospital.

After the introduction of 'Care In The Community' in the early 1980s, the hospital went into a period of decline and patient services significantly reduced. The site hung on during the early 2000s, but eventually, in late 2019 it had to shut its doors most of the site was sold off to Homes England, the majority of the site now being used for police training.

Me and @dansgas1000 made the drive to Canterbury after a tip off from a friend, a short walk through some woodland and we were in. We spent the best part of 6 hours inside, only leaving as we run out of daylight (oh the joys of winter!)
There was a security style hut out front, but we didn't see another soul all day.
I'd have preferred a bit more decay, but can't grumble! I'm still glad we managed to get this one done as it was a nice explore.

An old photo from back in the day St Martin's Hospital, Canterbury - County Asylums

st martins (2).PNG

IMG_5371.jpg

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5359-HDR.jpg

IMG_5356-HDR.jpg

IMG_5354-HDR.jpg

IMG_5349-HDR.jpg

IMG_5346-HDR.jpg

IMG_5326-HDR.jpg

This part was very dark, I'm gald I managed to photograph it as I liked the artworks on the walls.

IMG_5323-HDR.jpg

IMG_5318-HDR.jpg

IMG_5299-HDR.jpg

IMG_5293-HDR.jpg

IMG_5267-HDR.jpg

IMG_5255-HDR.jpg

IMG_5230-HDR.jpg

IMG_5227-HDR.jpg

IMG_5218-HDR.jpg

IMG_5202-HDR.jpg

IMG_5198-HDR.jpg

Ended up having an 'urbex shit' in this toilet. Luckily there was ample toilet paper.

IMG_5162-HDR.jpg

IMG_5154-HDR.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5142-HDR.jpg

IMG_5136-HDR.jpg

IMG_5132-HDR.jpg

IMG_5120-HDR.jpg

IMG_5117-HDR.jpg

IMG_5111-HDR.jpg

IMG_5105-HDR.jpg

IMG_5078-HDR.jpg
I agree deffo better with decay still a good explore though

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice take on it mate. Glad you managed to find a route to it ok and get in. I quite liked it myself, but a few years is definatley needed. Loving the selfie ha ha.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks, yeah was a good day out wasn't it. Main hall was good, along with the green lamp room which I really liked, found our daft photo that we took, forgot we done one together!
Would be good to try it again in a few years if It's still there, as you say might be more decayed then.

IMG_5305 (3).jpg

Brilliant, u wouldnt get me doing anything like that!

1.jpg

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Thank you. It was up there for me too, I think it's going to go downhill condition wise fairly rapidly this year.
Yeah it'll be sad to see but inevitable. Kinda hope it gets sealed up tight again really, or it decays in a nice non-vandal way

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah it'll be sad to see but inevitable. Kinda hope it gets sealed up tight again really, or it decays in a nice non-vandal way
That would be good. Luckily it's stayed off the radar of the YouTube and sticker brigade. Have to keep an eye on it!

erika_1986

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
St Martins Hospital

st martins (2).PNG

IMG_5371.jpg

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5359-HDR.jpg

IMG_5356-HDR.jpg

IMG_5354-HDR.jpg

IMG_5349-HDR.jpg

IMG_5346-HDR.jpg

IMG_5326-HDR.jpg

IMG_5323-HDR.jpg

IMG_5318-HDR.jpg

IMG_5299-HDR.jpg

IMG_5293-HDR.jpg

IMG_5267-HDR.jpg

IMG_5255-HDR.jpg

IMG_5230-HDR.jpg

IMG_5227-HDR.jpg

IMG_5218-HDR.jpg

IMG_5202-HDR.jpg

IMG_5198-HDR.jpg

IMG_5162-HDR.jpg

IMG_5154-HDR.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5142-HDR.jpg

IMG_5136-HDR.jpg

IMG_5132-HDR.jpg

IMG_5120-HDR.jpg

IMG_5117-HDR.jpg

IMG_5111-HDR.jpg

IMG_5105-HDR.jpg

IMG_5078-HDR.jpg