real time web analytics
Report - - Train depot faversham, kent - april 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Train depot faversham, kent - april 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbexuser666

28DL Member
28DL Member
History

The very fact that Faversham was initially a terminus ensured that locomotive facilities were provided here from the outset. The first engine shed was a small, two-track dead-end affair, positioned beside the ''up'' line, just beyond the level crossing to the immediate west of the original station. This came into use with the latter in 1858. Services between here and Chatham commenced on 25th January of that year, and through running between Victoria and Canterbury was possible from 3rd December 1860. Faversham became a junction on 1st August 1860, with the opening of the Whitstable extension, and to coincide with this, the decision was taken to erect an enlarged locomotive depot. This was to be located within the triangle created by the diverging lines, and consist of a brick-built dead-end structure accommodating two westward-facing tracks. When commissioned, the building measured 34-foot by 202-foot, featured a vented pitched-roof, and to its west existed a turntable. Whilst this later building became the main engine shed at the site, the earlier-opened structure continued to be used in conjunction with it.

In October 1897, a complete rebuilding of Faversham station commenced, which included total upheaval of locomotive and goods facilities. The original engine shed of 1858 was abolished, and the 1860-built depot was doubled in size. This was achieved by erecting another two-road dead-end building adjoining the northern elevation of the existing structure. The extension matched the dimensions of the latter and similarly demonstrated a vented pitched roof, but unlike its counterpart, this featured sloping ends, as per a pyramid. Attached to the northern elevation of the new building were single-storey brick-built offices, which extended for approximately half the shed's length, and beside these was a three-storey high water tank. The existing turntable was removed and a larger, 49-foot 11-inch replacement installed at an alternate site, immediately to the north-east of the shed buildings. The opportunity was also taken at this time to build a wagon repair shop: this 100-foot long building was instantly recognisable as a product of the LC&DR. The structure was positioned north of, and at forty-five degrees to, the engine shed, being sandwiched in-between the turntable and the departing Whitstable line. Crème brick construction was used throughout, and the building incorporated the same semi-circular orange-brick window frames found on the main structures at the rebuilt station.

The formation of the joint Managing Committee of the SE&CR in 1899 saw a number of ex-SER and ex-LC&DR sheds co-operate with each other. Locomotives from as far away as Strood, some twenty-one miles westwards, could at times be found at Faversham, and engine exchanges between the latter and the ex-''Chatham'' shed at Gillingham were everyday occurrences. Throughout the SE&CR's tenure, locomotive allocation at Faversham included a number of the graceful Wainwright ''D'' Class 4-4-0 locomotives, these of which had begun to emerge from Ashford in 1901 as the company's first true express passenger engine. From 1921 onwards, engines of this type started re-appearing as the rebuilt ''D1'' Class, these of which incorporated – amongst other features – an enlarged superheated boiler. Class ''C'' 0-6-0 tender engines, introduced in 1900, formed the shed's allocation of freight locomotive types. After its formation in 1923, the Southern Railway acted swiftly to electrify ex-SE&CR suburban lines in a push for quicker, cleaner, and more frequent services into and out of the capital. Consequently, this led to numerous closures of suburban steam sheds throughout the 1920s and 1930s, and subsequent re-allocating of the tank engines which were originally built to ply these commuter routes. A small batch of ''H'' Class 0-4-4 tank engines arrived at Faversham as a consequence; like so many ex-suburban types, these locomotives were redeployed on rural turns. Such engines formerly had allocation at Bricklayers Arms, Cannon Street, and Slade Green sheds, but electrification ensured that the latter two went out of use to steam completely, although Bricklayers Arms continued to house a large allocation of mainly freight engines.

The 1939 Gillingham electrification resulted in the complete closure of the shed at Strood (it subsequently becoming a goods depot); the locomotive allocation at Gillingham itself fell by approximately half. By this time, the shed at Faversham had already lost its own independent depot status, and both it and Gillingham were worked virtually as one depot, under a common management. In the meantime, modifications had been made to the site at Faversham: the original 1860-built two-road shed had been subject to a re-roofing exercise in 1935. This included the removal of the western and eastern timber-built triangular roof façades, and the dispensing of the slate tiles. All these features were replaced with corrugated asbestos sheeting, which continued to be arranged in a pitched-roof fashion. Compared with slate, this material was cheap and easy to use, but more importantly, it was fire proof. It was left to British Railways to carry out further alterations; within two years of its existence, the Southern Region had extensively modified the 1898-completed shed building. This had included the complete demolition of the roof structure, leaving just the side walls, and the insertion of a concrete lintel across the building's entrance, to support the new roof structure. With reference to the latter, this featured a trapezium-shaped cross section (as per that which soon appeared at the modified Tonbridge shed), complete with a steel frame clad with corrugated asbestos sheeting.

The Explore

went here yesterday with a friend, absolutely beautiful. the whole place is overgrown and looks like something out of an apocalypse building. I'm new to urban exploring, so haven't got the hang of finding history about places so if anyone could give me a hand that would be appreciated.
there are a couple of big buildings, and some small rooms that are hard to get into because of the amount of rubble and holes in the floor. i would recommend going at night if possible, as the site is under a walkway you have to be quiet and hide quite a lot as people are almost always walking and talking above you. also be careful as the site is right next to train tracks so you might be seen there.
We didn't stay long as it started to rain, but seems like a pretty chill spot to hang out with friends.

F29A2FEB-CDCF-48FF-A5C5-2F1F22CED80E.jpeg

6281796A-DC01-4A70-9239-BDCBC62E2382.jpeg

EDE35CE0-F68F-44A1-9ACF-316997065511.jpeg

6347217B-FDB3-4423-B301-3D1438C098BA.jpeg

803EDE35-3E83-4660-81FC-F9D55BB373D2.jpeg

F47D4A6C-48C7-4B5D-82FD-34D5F4E17EF2.jpeg

91335CEF-5343-4D14-832D-14D1DF4A3690.jpeg

4F9E87AB-F047-49E9-ACCA-1A37D022F0DD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sh_v11

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good first report don't want to repeat theyoungone but yep I agree with him.To get the history i'd suggest getting a picture of the location from the outside and running it through google lens.I tried with one of ur pictures and I believe that it was an old train docking station or warehouse.I'll leave you to find the rest about the history

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely photos. Daytime photos are always best if possible. People around are part and parcel of this hobby im afraid. Most dont bother taking much notice about some people taking pictures in places like this.
Agree with above and a big welcome 👍

urbexuser666

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice first report mate just need the month and year of when you visited and a little bit of history otherwise that is a really nice place mate welcome to the forum :thumb
thanks! bit of a stupid question but can i edit the report after posting or do i have to leave it?