real time web analytics
Report - - West Norfolk Engineering, Setchey (22/23 May 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - West Norfolk Engineering, Setchey (22/23 May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KyroRetnik

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’m aware that this site has been covered a couple times. Didn’t stop me from poking my head in to have a look. Lot of history here.

If you remember, two well known names have visited before, uncovering some history behind the site. I have spent the last 4 days researching and reaching out to locals to find more information regarding the site’s change of hands, date of last use etc. I’m more than happy to share what I have found so far.

In 1767, the site was constructed as a brewery for Hodge & Seppings and was registered in 1911. In 1928 the brewery was bought and amalgamated into Bullard & Sons. Bullard & Sons were acquired by Watnery Mann in 1963 and brewing ceased in 1968. Eventually it became "West Norfolk Engineering". As of current, the landowner is a bloke called Alan Giles. Not much is known about the man, other than the fact he is ex-Navy.

A photo seen online at Hogge & Seppings Ltd - Brewery History Society Wiki shows the building as a brewery in 1980, but another shows the building in 2007 during its life as West Norfolk Engineering. Some point between 1980 and 2007 this building became a garage and/or breakers yard, then became derelict. The cars on site do not belong to the landowner, they belong to customers who never returned to collect their cars, that or he didn’t return them. Still, can’t say for certain, facts aren’t there yet. There was an old fuel pump that used to sit outside until 2013, when it mysteriously vanished.

Two years ago, a bloke was nicked and sent to court in Lynn for taking parts from the yard, claiming he had paid someone £500. News article didn’t say much more.

As of right now, there are no new updates. I will come back and update the report in due course.

Thank you for taking the time to read all that. I like to be thorough in my work. Now for the pictures. There are forty odd because I wasn't massively with some of the shots taken on the first day.

A10 Garage 44.jpg

A10 Garage 43.jpg

A10 Garage 42.jpg

A10 Garage 41.jpg

A10 Garage 40.jpg

A10 Garage 39.jpg

A10 Garage 38.jpg

A10 Garage 37.jpg

A10 Garage 36.jpg

A10 Garage 35.jpg

A10 Garage 34.jpg

A10 Garage 33.jpg

A10 Garage 32.jpg

A10 Garage 21.jpg

A10 Garage 20.jpg

A10 Garage 19.jpg

A10 Garage 18.jpg

A10 Garage 17.jpg

A10 Garage 16.jpg

A10 Garage 15.jpg

A10 Garage 14.jpg

A10 Garage 13.jpg

A10 Garage 12.jpg

A10 Garage 22.jpg

A10 Garage 11.jpg

A10 Garage 10.jpg

A10 Garage 9.jpg

A10 Garage 8.jpg

A10 Garage 7.jpg

A10 Garage 24.jpg

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I actually really liked my visit here, its got a fair bit to offer in the way of photography

KyroRetnik

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I actually really liked my visit here, its got a fair bit to offer in the way of photography
It was a great explore for me. I'd been aware of it but hadn't visited until this week. Glad I did because it was definitely worth it!

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really greatful for the extra history you have sought out. Was staying a stone's throw from here over Xmas. The day I went it was raining and I got a bit ofxa soaking.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely covered and well done on the history. I never realised it was a brewery, but you can understand how it was looking at the remains of the rear building. Bullard's had a massive building in Norwich, it's now flats and not been a brewery for many years.
I have made a few visits here first a few years ago and first about eight years ago. Definatley easier in the winter months.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice take on the place, I looked at this couple of years ago but didn't do it all as it was getting dark, will have to take another look next winter. Interesting that it was a brewery originally. Nice captures and research, it was a nice read.