real time web analytics
Report - - 2023 Crisp Delph Sealed Again! | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 2023 Crisp Delph Sealed Again!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mikedelaney

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I visited crisp delph in Dalton yesterday, was very disappointed to see the landowner has sealed it off with cement. There are a couple of tight squeezes to the right of the former entrance but not sure if they go anywhere. Only 6 weeks ago it was accessible! Wish I'd gone down to check it out when I had the oppertunity.

IMG-20230318-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20230318-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20230318-WA0014.jpg

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
You can't really blame the owner who's back garden it's in after it has been spunked all over social media for the last couple of years.

It is a shame as it's an interesting mine, but this was an inevitable outcome.

mikedelaney

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You can't really blame the owner who's back garden it's in after it has been spunked all over social media for the last couple of years.

It is a shame as it's an interesting mine, but this was an inevitable outcome.
Completely agree, was only a matter of time. Very sad to see it go it was a great piece of local history, also housed hundreds of bats.
Such a shame that it can't be used for licensed caving tours although the structure may be a bit precarious when it comes to getting insurance 😂

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I'm not sure about the bats as it was only a very small entrance at ground level, but wasn't really looking for evidence of them while there.

If it is used as a roost I'm sure it must be documented, they are highly protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act. A few of the offences are below, even photographing them without a licence is an offence. Hopefully this is something the owner was aware of at the time.
  1. Intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat in its roost or deliberately disturb a group of bats.
  2. Damage or destroy a place used by bats for breeding or resting (roosts) (even if bats are not occupying the roost at the time)
  3. Intentionally or recklessly obstruct access to a bat roost.
Breaking the laws often results in fines (can be unlimited) and the chance of 6 months at His Majesties pleasure.

Last edited:

mikedelaney

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That's interesting to know
There's definitely a significant bat population around Crisp Delph. They've been documented on a few YouTube videos, given the sheer size of the place it wouldn't surprise me if there are roosts in there. One of the vids I saw recently showed a few bats circling around a narrow crawl space that opened up to the right of the first chamber.
I think it was uploaded by FindersBeepers

Dirge the sergal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Completely agree, was only a matter of time. Very sad to see it go it was a great piece of local history, also housed hundreds of bats.
Such a shame that it can't be used for licensed caving tours although the structure may be a bit precarious when it comes to getting insurance 😂
If it's a bat roost get it reported now. It's mega, mega illegal to block off a roost

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Has anyone ever even seen bats roosting in there all these years though ?

mikedelaney

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has anyone ever even seen bats roosting in there all these years though ?

If you skip to 3:40 on this video there's some bats down the bottom right hand side of the first chamber, in a crawl space these idiots were trying to disturb them to film them. Probably same lot that got this place sealed up.

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
If you skip to 3:40 on this video there's some bats down the bottom right hand side of the first chamber, in a crawl space these idiots were trying to disturb them to film them. Probably same lot that got this place sealed up.
Bat visible at 2 minutes 30 seconds through to 4 minutes 30 seconds, that's about as much as I want to watch though, but thanks for finding it :thumb

Last edited:

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
the bat preservation groups such as Home - Bat Conservation Trust and any local groups would also be good to contact. they are militant when it comes to protecting roosts
South Lancashire Bat Trust has been informed as it falls into their area, I'd quite happily see bars or a grill over the entrance so the bats still have access, but the people who don't think twice about sharing locations on social media just for a few likes and shares are kept out.

Dirge the sergal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
South Lancashire Bat Trust has been informed as it falls into their area, I'd quite happily see bars or a grill over the entrance so the bats still have access, but the people who don't think twice about sharing locations on social media just for a few likes and shares are kept out.
its history, the need to document it needs to be coupled with the need to protect it. risking the loss of something so important for social media likes is anathema to me

Who has read this thread (Total: 292) View details