real time web analytics
Report - - 4 days and 3 nights in the Paris Catacombs | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 4 days and 3 nights in the Paris Catacombs

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Sick has covered some real good detail in his report so I'll just do a lazy version. No surprises there.

Did the usual Eurostar / Paris / Gare du Nord / Porte de Orleans thing. Found a dirt cheap hotel to crash in for the night...

IMG_3686.jpg

...and did our last minute beer, water and food shopping, and finally packed the bags ready for the next day.

The first evening we met up with Rug and his friend, had some beers and a 'monkey brain', and not much sleep.

Day One.

The next day we were up early, and within no time we were at a regular entrance to the GRS - "Great Southern Network" - 300KM of tunnels under Paris. I've been here a lot, twenty something times, and it was Sicks second trip.

Waders and helmet on...

IMG_3687.jpg

...a bit of a walk, and we were in.

The first thing was to hide a bag with the food and drink for the last two days. No problem. We then headed South to the Passe Murraille. It's been damaged again, and somebody has sympathetically wrapped a bandage around him, it's quite symbolic...

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

A bit of a root around in the South, and we found an exit into another small network, Le Vanne Aqueduc...

IMG_3697.jpg

It must have been a mile or so long, it took us half a day to explore it. This took us totally by surprise. We left our bags in the middle of a gallery - an hour away - because we simply had no idea it would be this big.

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

On getting back into the GRS, I looked at the map and saw the name of the district we had just been to, and errr, as if by magic pulled a map of it from my bag. Remarkably we had explored all but one gallery and missed nothing.

The highlight was without a doubt the main stairwell for the inspectors...

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

...complete with coat hooks, and the most amazing enamel plaque, the likes of which I hadn't seen before, but will soon see two more of.

There was a well made room with carvings as well that was notable...

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

After leaving Le Vanne, we checked a few galleries in the South...

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

Plan B lol...

IMG_3738.jpg

and ended up in Viandox, looking at the bones...

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

Then we headed West, to see if we could connect with another district. We couldn't, but I did get these pics through a hole in the locked manhole...

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

Well it's getting on now, and we move to Cellier to sleep...

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3763.jpg

Our room for the night...

IMG_3765.jpg

This was the first time I had used pitons, usually it's Paulo that can be seen smacking his head as the piton comes out of the wall. This time it was to be us, two of us hanging on one piton...

IMG_3767.jpg

...no dramas though, it held up for the 12 hours, a solid nights sleep after a solid days work.

Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: 4 days and 3 nights in the Paris Catacombs - REPORT

Day 2.

Got up late, but we needed the sleep. Time means nothing here. It's always dark, and the natural rhythm can kick in if you let it.

This day we're doing the East and the South East.

IMG_3769.jpg

We looked in the basement of an old brewery...

IMG_3776.jpg

We were able to walk around inside the old storage vats, wtill painted with a rubbery waterproof compound...

IMG_3780.jpg

Onto a few other things, including the Library, burned again, we spent a few minutes cleaning it up...

IMG_3784.jpg

Hmmm, what next. Mine Office, Minerolagy office, Class gallery...

There's a new one...

IMG_3789.jpg

but this is my favourite...

IMG_3790.jpg

Moving on...

IMG_3797.jpg

The Human Bomb room...

IMG_3803.jpg

Next, to Montsouris, the BDM and KCP rooms, some old galleries with nice arches...

IMG_3804.jpg

Well, we had done OK for time, so we decided to get out of Montsouris (it wasn't going to be great for sleeping in anyway) so we headed back for a resupply from the stash bags, and then a wander up North...

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

Tonight, our bed would be in the Pi room, in the centre of the network.

IMG_3812.jpg

More beers, and some Cuban Jazz set the night off. Chilled. and Chilly.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: 4 days and 3 nights in the Paris Catacombs - REPORT

Day 3.

The North. We were well placed after a good day yesterday. We walked up to Carrefour des Morts district, a bit of a navigate in the lower levels, then on to the Feast Room...

"Doing an Alias"...

IMG_3815.jpg

Strange, we weren't even in the slightest bit phased by reading the map next to half a skull and a pile of longbones...

IMG_3816.jpg

The the hard work began. We went to the far North West of the GRS, and then, right over to the East, to Salle Z and Feullantines shelter...

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

and then, up to the North, to eventually meet Rug and Co. in Montparnasse Shelter.

IMG_3835.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

We weren't expecting much from the so-called Flag Room. But when we stepped out of the narrow tunnel, into the largest highest gallery we saw all trip, we were blown away.

Two mint French flags and another large enamel plaque on display, but not showing off. It sums up the Paris experience for me. sadly, my pics don't do it justice...

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

We still had 3 or 4 hours to spare, and we were flaked, so we just found a tunnel and went to sleep on the concrete floor. And woke up 45 minutes later, freezing and uncomfortable. we had to keep walking to keep warm, so we went to see the Montparnasse shelter aka 'The Asbestos Room', FFS.

Some funky graf...

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

At the bottom of the stairs, the aircon pipes...

IMG_3856.jpg

At the top, here's the inlet and the pump...

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

Also, we could see out to the adjacent building, and a restaurant over the road...

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

Had a nose around, and waited for Rug. Clang ! and a manhole opened and closed, and some cataphiles turned up, and later on the same again and Rug turned up, with beer supplies!

And just when we thought the night was over, we found it had only just begun.

Beer and chat in Montparnasse...

IMG_3886.jpg

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

We decided to sleep in Anschluz for the night, and went to see a few things on the way, in particular a very old part of the network in the North.

First though, a bitch of a crawl...

IMG_3908.jpg

and then Rug beasting the fucking life out of us. I admit by this time I was on reserves, physically at least. Mentally I was just drunk.

Anyway, at last, Anscluz. Bonus - nobodies using the hammock mounts and it's quite quiet.

Rug...

IMG_3910.jpg

Rug said his farewells and we went to bed.

Day 4.

Only one thing to do today, and that's get the hell out of this place. Snag is, we're in the far North of the network, and we want to be in the far South. We didn't hang around though, no scenic routes, no sand crawls (we did that a previous day) however we still didn't get out until late afternoon.

Next, back to GdN for a shower, steak, beer, food poisoning and finally, the Eurostar home.

And it still hadn't ended. A quick bus journey from St Pancras and we were at Paulos, and ended up talking bollocks whilst destroying a bottle of Port. Thank you Sir.

Finally...

A big thanks to Sick, for making this work, and being cool down there. Mission impossible, possible.

Rug, the usual top man.

The other cataphiles, for the chat, beer, smokes, good times, and info.

and Paulo, for letting us stay on Sunday.

...and anyone else who made this possible... thanks !

Last edited: