real time web analytics
Report - - 5 RAF bases in 2 Days, East Anglia | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 5 RAF bases in 2 Days, East Anglia

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

U

UrbanX

Continuing on from RAF Upwood - Cambridgeshire (INSIDE Tanks & Officers Mess) yesterday:
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25952

2nd Stop RAF Warboys Receiver Block: Abandoned a long time ago, now used for agricultural storage
Wr1.jpg

Inside the tower:
Wr2.jpg

The building is surrounded by a 2ft thick solid concrete wall, with massive, thick steel doors:
Wr3.jpg

3rd Stop, RAF Wyton Bomb Store:
Wandered into completely by accident, whilst looking for the photographic department two miles away! Cavewheels report: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=25043

Wy1.jpg

Roads, lamposts…
Wy2.jpg

Wy3.jpg

Wy5.jpg

4th Stop: Eventually found the photographic department, it was trashed, and it was pitch black. Only decent thing was the reams of “TOP SECRETâ€Â’ paper:
Wy6.jpg

Day 2:
RAF Shipdham:
Frustratingly this has been almost entirely converted to an industrial site, but the local flying club does still use the main runway, and didn’t mind us being there!
Sh1.jpg

RAF Watton :
This is in the process of being demolished to make way for housing, and is a live building site.
Structure of partially-demolished Hanger 3:
Wa1a.jpg

We noticed a military ‘pen’ which was VERY heavily fortified, just had to find out what was in there! :p

Wa1.jpg

Serious lighting, pointing both in and out.
Wa2.jpg

Inside there were simply 4 tin huts, reinforced. With this notice inside, Anyone any ideas what it could have been used for?
Wa4.jpg

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some very nice shots there mate! Regarding Watton: Where was the heavily fortified area? I know Watton well, but cant recall anything like that. The best I can think of is that it is some sort of training area, maybe riot police or army who used to use it quite a lot. I found a few tunnels at RAF Watton years ago, regetably they have not been built upon (Before I got chance to take photos!) The bomb stores, fuzing sheds, small arms stores Fuel dump and shooting range are still there as of late lats year and pretty much in tact.