real time web analytics
Information - - A History Of Clarence Flour Mills (1891 - 2005) | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - A History Of Clarence Flour Mills (1891 - 2005)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I've had a couple of weeks of parental leave recently and in between the swimming pools, play parks, castles and wildlife park visits, I managed to get around to sorting out the attic. While routing through the endless boxes I came across a haul of old exploring souvenirs. That sure kept me entertained for a couple of hours and brought back some great memories of pre social media/youtube exploring days.

In late 2010 myself and flyingmonkeycorps made a couple of last visits to Clarence Flour Mills in Hull to rescue some bits. All the old plans and drawings from the late 1940s redevelopment (following the bombing during ww2 of the original mill) remained in a room near the old security cabin and we had to have them. While on this particular visit mixed among the paperwork and original plans I found a DVD.

A History Of Clarence Flour Mills (1891 - 2005)

Its a fascinating history of one of my favourite mills, featuring interviews with the workers, but most importantly a glimpse inside the mill while it was up and running. Presumably a promotional 30 minute movie created to celebrate the place upon closure in 2005.

So for the purposes of history I burned the 27min of scratch free DVD and reluctantly created a youtube channel to upload it onto. I know there are a few mill geeks out there like me that will appreciate the history too. I've included a few dodgy screenshots for anyone who doesn't want to watch the whole thing but might still be interested.

For the new boys at the back of the class, this mill had some of the nicest wooden belt driven "Simon" machinery in place before it was knocked in 2015. It had to been seen in person to appreciate it. For those of us who did see inside maybe you will enjoy seeing it up and running.

Dodgy old Report time

Here is the link to the video

S8imk8v.jpg

Screenshots

5kbvwOQ.jpg

hENLvIA.jpg

5hw8pW4.jpg

mIukRa5.jpg

ga7zmV9.jpg

JIIF32U.jpg

PtJpLA4.jpg

E5ZcC7G.jpg

JKFQ6bT.jpg

VTm1sOA.jpg

Good times

9K4YuAG.jpg

Last edited:

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember this place well, I wish I’d visited more than once but the scrap metal thrives put us off. Great report mate.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
That looks really cool :thumb

It was a great example. A real shame all those machines ended up in a skip.

Wow it looked so nice! Very interesting.

FYI you can use File Converter - FreeConvert.com to change the aspect ratio. Just click the cog after selecting a file to bring up the advanced options

I was surprised how clean it looked. Imagine being the man pushing the brush to sweep all the flour up.

Thanks I’ll try that later.

Oh noes the codez etc.

Top job saving all the plans and that DVD, shame it wasn't a VHS as @Landie_Man would have been all over it.

Most of the drawings are A0 and hand drawn with coloured pencil. I’ve always had notions of putting some of the more attractive ones in glass mounts but for some reason the wife isn’t so keen on having various projections of Joseph Ranks silos on the walls.

There were a few VHS lying around too. It was a real find for us at the time.

I remember this place well, I wish I’d visited more than once but the scrap metal thrives put us off. Great report mate.

I think it had already gone when we met up and had a look at some of the local stuff hadn’t it. A real shame.

I remember when those guys moved in. One day they cropped the locks and chains on the big gates and pulled into the yard while the security guys looked on from the safety of their little room. From 2013-2014 you could walk past the mill and regularly hear stihl saws going off inside.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I asked to go in just a week or so after closure and got to see that gargantuan motor. Hell of a thing.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
No. I went in about a week after it had closed, and once again after it was derelict. Probably one of the best mills I ever saw.

The motor had gone when I went back in, tatters I suppose.

Hull doesn't look the same without it that's for sure.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
No. I went in about a week after it had closed, and once again after it was derelict. Probably one of the best mills I ever saw.

The motor had gone when I went back in, tatters I suppose.

Hull doesn't look the same without it that's for sure.

It really was something and I’ve never seen another one quite like it either. I never got to see that motor though.

It’s a long time since I have been to Hull but I was sad to see just a wasteland were this place once stood the last time I passed.