real time web analytics
Report - - Air Raid! - DE '12 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Air Raid! - DE '12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

johnsalomon

Germany is the "wurst"
28DL Full Member
...wherein our anti-heroes discover that, a near-complete seeming local dearth of stuff to go stare at, sometimes it's right under your feet.

7837848308_7e04ce08e2_c.jpg

The only information I found about this place is that it belonged to a World War II German army regional headquarters, an underground air raid shelter for administrative staff. One of my German contacts, however, informs me that I'm full of shit (no surprise there) and that this is a bog standard civilian design.

7837852222_7018d4a80b_c.jpg

7837848938_e9cb0c9336_c.jpg

Whatever. There's half-nekkid Teutonic vixens sunning themselves in the park right overhead, while two filthy, stinking idiots laden with camera gear nearly have heart attacks from a rogue rabbit below ground.

I'm still stunned that we found this, more so that it's not been graffitied to hell, even more so that the original fluorescent exit markings are still intact and that the whole thing is not completely flooded, and utterly flabbergasted that we were able to pretty much walk right in. Nobody ever seems to pay much attention to what's around them - the main entrance is pretty attention-grabbing, to be fair, a big concrete-and-steel contraption in the middle of a park, welded shut and with the original counterweight arms for raising up the cover long rusted and broken off. And then, there's the holes right off to the side, where assorted rabbits and photographers slither inside to do their thing. Not with each other, you filthy bastard.

7837852588_eda59a7bb5_c.jpg

7837850726_a326f4b115_c.jpg

7837851000_07b82ba2f1_c.jpg

7837850262_aed2da5698_c.jpg

It's good condition is probably at least partially explained by the fact that sections of it were used as some sort of band practice or party room in the 1970s - a wall is still totally plastered with vintage ads. And at some point, some junkies must have made it their home, but they're long gone, and thankfully left the rest of it intact. Also, now we know where there's an air raid shelter just around the corner. Just in case.

7837851526_51f8f1a438_c.jpg

More, as always, at kosmograd dot net.​

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details