real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Alcatraz, San Francisco, August 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Alcatraz, San Francisco, August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CGGE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my first report on here and I have pretty much no idea how to structure it or anything, so please be kind to me...sorry this may be a long report.

So I went on a roadtrip through California last summer and went to Alcatraz, on the day we were there they had opened the hospital part of the building which is not always open to visitors and although most of the furniture is staged it was still really interesting.

Alcatraz island is in San Francisco bay, it was originally a military prison and then a federal prison until its closure in 1963. In 1969 the island was occupied by indians for around 19 months and you can still see some of the graffiti they left, they also held public protests. It's pretty eerie as you walk around, and you can imagine how it could have been so secluded from reality. The island is most famous from the film 'escape from Alcatraz' and on the tour you can see the cells where these people escaped.

Alcatraz has held some of the most notorious criminals in American history, and on the tour you're pointed out places in which inmates were murdered and where even staff had been held captive in cells by inmates, the Marines also dropped some form of bomb there in 1946 and you can still see the marks on the floor from it.
Some buildings were burnt down when the Indians took over the land...
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1743.JPG
IMG_1744.JPG
IMG_1754.JPG
It was impossible to get a picture of the cell blocks without people in them, which is annoying, but atleast this gives an idea of size, there were also bullet holes in the walls in some places...
IMG_1770.JPG
Evidence of the Indians inhabiting the land, they had left graffiti like this on the water tower and on the walls
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1792.JPG

It's such a shame you are only allowed in certain parts as I bet there are some really interesing bits to see, especially things like the 'spanish dungeon' an underground block of cells which in the late 1930s were apparently used for unmanageable inmates.
Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it, really sorry about the length and would appreciate feedback!! These are all my own photos and were taken on a Canon 450D

Attachments

• IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 147

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I didn't see any of that stuff when I visited. Saw a lot of other things though. Would like to get a free run of the place for a weekend.

Lavino

28DL Full Member
yes thanks for showing this is a place id really like to visit myself :thumb

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I've done many a roadtrip in the US, and on my third visit to San Francisco, finally visited here myself
Its a very interesting place; I've not seen the hospital part. thanks for sharing

mrg9999

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
>It was impossible to get a picture of the cell blocks without people in them, which is annoying, but at least this gives an idea of size, there were also bullet holes in the walls in some places.
not sure why it's annoying. Dead easy to photoshop them out.

Miss Mayhem

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
>It was impossible to get a picture of the cell blocks without people in them, which is annoying, but at least this gives an idea of size, there were also bullet holes in the walls in some places.

Could you imagine going around this at night? :eek:

CGGE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
have no idea how to do that, and I don't have photoshop haha

CGGE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've done many a roadtrip in the US, and on my third visit to San Francisco, finally visited here myself
Its a very interesting place; I've not seen the hospital part. thanks for sharing
Yeah they had opened the hospital as a one off the day we got there, I was so excited haha! I love the US, can't wait to go back