real time web analytics
Report - - Altrincham General Hospital (Sept 2016) | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Altrincham General Hospital (Sept 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Called down here for a nosey as it's fairly local, after working a 12hr night shift I wasn't really feeling it but in hindsight It's not too bad, certainly not full of old epic shit or even much decay but worth a poke about, hoped to find a mortuary but alas not

Currently under demo so be quick if you want to see it, although it's still pretty much intact at the moment....

Altrincham’s hospital services began in 1853 when Lloyd’s Fever Hospital was built. By 1860 the hospital was making a vital contribution to improving access to health care for local residents. A Provident Dispensary was opened in 1861. Subscribers of a weekly sum could be treated at the hospital when necessary. The population of Altrincham was growing and in 1870, the management of Lloyds Fever Hospital and Provident Dispensary was handed over to the new Altrincham Provident Dispensary and Hospital, marking the establishment of what would become Altrincham General Hospital.
A new building to accommodate the growing population was proposed and a site on Market Street was chosen. Records show the building was occupied in March 1871, although no evidence of an official opening ceremony has been found. A man and his wife were also employed to reside in the hospital for the purpose of cleaning, attending to patients and assisting the resident dispenser.
The first matron for the hospital was a Mrs. Tatham, who was appointed in 1872 at the salary of £30 a year with board and lodgings. A report on the first year of service dated to 1872 reported that the number of in-patients admitted to the hospital was 28, of whom 17 were discharged as cured and four died. The average length of stay for patients was 36 days. Lloyds Fever Hospital closed in 1911.
The building was pulled down and the site turned into a children’s playground. As the threat of the First World War emerged the local Red Cross Society asked the hospital for permission to train volunteer nurses on its wards. It was agreed that two nurses would be trained at a time if they provided their own uniforms. On 10th August 1914, six days after the declaration of war the hospital sent a telegram to the War Office offering the use of a ward of 16 beds for wounded soldiers. By November the ward was in full use.
The hospital continued to provide healthcare after the outbreak of World War II with beds reserved for expected air-raid casualties.

alt.jpg

alt18.jpg

alt17.jpg

alt16.jpg

alt13.jpg
alt12.jpg

alt14.jpg

alt11.jpg

alt21.jpg

alt19.jpg
alt15.jpg

alt8.jpg

alt6.jpg
alt9.jpg

alt7.jpg

alt5.jpg

alt10.jpg

alt3.jpg

alt4.jpg
alt2.jpg

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice indeed!! I thought this place had gone to be honest, I had a look a few months back but obviously looked at the completely wrong buildings.. what an idiot I am :)

Zoemilly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just so anyone trying this is aware, we have just been and visited the General Hospital, we got in only to hear what sounded like an alarm beeping... We're not 100% sure but as a precaution after seeing what we think is a secca car parked up, we decided to leave. Upon leaving a neighbour to the hospital spotted us and banged on their window. Obviously the surrounding houses are watching for intruders and are quite on top of it, as we made absolutely zero noise getting in. :) stay safe kids

Niterunner

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots.

Amazes me how much, very sell-able gear, is left behind in these places.