real time web analytics
Report - - Another Jersey tunnel -10/01/07 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Another Jersey tunnel -10/01/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

J

JerseySi

Just got back from a nice wander around another of our WW2 tunnels :D

This one was very nearly completed - the only unlined sections have been walled off (one of the entrances, and a section that runs off the main 'loop'), the rest all being completed..
The blocked off (unlined) section in there, that wasn't finished, has been presumed to contain perhaps more remnants of the war, all pushed into the tunnel, then sealed in with tons of barbed wire before being concreted up... We just had to see if there was any way to find out how true this was!
Turns out - it's not... My best guess is the unlined section was blocked off for being Danger of falling rock - there was nothing in there at all..

Anyway - some piccies for you!
What do ya know - let there be light! :D This is the main entry/exit tunnel - although one end is walled off with an unlined section & a rockfall blocking the top entry
Ho4-tunnel29.jpg

Looking up some of the central tunnels:
Ho4-tunnel33.jpg

Ho4-tunnel16.jpg

opposite the side tunnel in that last pic, is another side tunnel (on left side of the pic) - walled off level with this tunnel.. Peeking into the hole underneath however, and bingo - we've found the only barbed wire in the complex:
Ho4-tunnel13.jpg

Ho4-tunnel14.jpg

The lights we discovered were only along the main tnunel & the 'central' chambers - the back sections were lined, but we couldn't find/didnt look for lighting :D
Small central tunnel to nowhere
Ho4-tunnel56.jpg

At one end of the complex, theres a blocked up area - said to be rammed full of barbed wire & not possible to explore...
Seems someone else had tried many many years ago, judging by the half-hole already here!
Ho4-tunnel38.jpg

Ho4-tunnel8.jpg

Anyway, someone skinnier than myself took my camera through this drainage hole to see what was there..
Ho4-tunnel39.jpg

Nowt, but empty, wet, unlined & unfinished areas
Ho4-tunnel44.jpg

Ho4-tunnel46.jpg

Ho4-tunnel50.jpg

Couple more random pics from inside... The railway system was pretty much totally intact still - although rails so rusty they crumbled as you stood on them :D
Ho4-tunnel24.jpg

My favourite pic of the visit :D
Ho4-tunnel23.jpg

The escape shaft looks even more scary than the tunnel with the truck in! Exactly same style, just longer/steeper! (and with an apparently very-well sealed 'hatch' plate on the top)
Ho4-tunnel57.jpg

J

JerseySi

Re: Another Jersey tunnel - Report 10/01/07

Couple more random pics of Ho4:

Anyone remember cans of Breaker? :D
Ho4-tunnel54.jpg

Lots of stalectites/mites/the-hangy-downy-ones dotted around the place
Ho4-tunnel52.jpg

The blocked off tunnel in this pic is the other (collapsed & at least partly unlined) entrance.. I'm guessing blocked off for health & safety reasons - bare rock + bored workers = accident claim..
Ho4-tunnel35.jpg