real time web analytics
Report - - Archway Methodist Hall – London – September 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Archway Methodist Hall – London – September 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member

The History

Built in 1934 to replace an existing 1864 church building. It was the last hall built by the Methodists and was funded by passionate Methodist and British film legend J Arthur Rank, who is credited with influencing the cinema-like design of the building.

It is therefore unsurprising that with it’s stripped down Mayan-Deco aesthetic it is often mistaken for a former cinema fallen on hard times.

51501726447_4c4318ffd5_z.jpg

Designed by George and K Withers, it had a 1,300 seat auditorium, offices, a Sunday school and eight shops along with the 500 seater hall.

Inside, it was more like a concert venue than a church, with tip-up seats and concealed organ pipework. A screen, which would show cartoons on a Saturday afternoon and features at night, was operated by a large pulley system.

51501747232_e108a410e3.jpg

Some people had other interpretations of the design. “Most of the interior walls were tiled and it was recorded that when it opened people were often found wandering around with towels around their necks ‘looking for the swimming baths’!” added Jan.

During the war, the basement was used by the council as an air raid shelter for 600 people.

“Every night throughout the blitz huge queues formed waiting to gain entry,” continued Jan. “It was remarked that at times the building resembled a West End theatre owing to the size of the queue and the amount of buskers entertaining the crowds.

“The enterprising minister even wrote ‘The Archway Air Raid Shelter Hymn’ which was sung every night before lights out!”

Concerts and dances were also held during the war in a bid to keep morale up. But on the night of November 5, 1944, the hall was used for a very different reason.

After a V2 rocket came down in nearby Grovedale Road, killing 31 and injuring another 84, it was used as a makeshift mortuary for the victims.

After the war competition from other venues saw the hall’s popularity decline and the owners began renting it out to youth clubs, until it was eventually closed as a venue in the ’60s. But it wasn’t finished yet.

“There was a reversal in fortunes when John Beech became minister in the late sixties,” Jan added. “He opened a new club for the disaffected youth in the area.

“He had a background as a missionary in Ghana and worked in particular with black youth in London. The youth club took off in a big way and membership reached over 600.”

Its success also brought problems, though, and it eventually closed after Beech and his wife spent too much time disarming youths carrying knives and drugs began to be used and sold on the premises.

It was last open to the public in the 1980s, although it does form part of the larger church complex, much of which is still in use.

It’s been empty, aside from property guardians, since 1989 and is said to be owned by a Gibraltar-based company.

They had plans of redeveloping it

https://www.ifarchitecture.co.uk/projects/residential/view/item/370-archway

But more recently there has been talk of it being demolished.

Plans to convert the Archway Methodist Hall into an office block have been rejected by Islington Council. The application was submitted in December 2020 by architect firm White Arkitekter; the plan was to demolish the current building and erect a six-storey energy-efficient office block for "local businesses". Planners said the development would have result in an unjustified loss of community space and would cause substantial harm to the significance, character and appearance of the St John's Grove Conservation Area. The proposed height and uncharacteristic materials would also fail to preserve area's appearance. The “Better Archway Forum” have submitted its own plans for an arts venue.

Their interesting plans can be seen here

https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/...al-plans-to-develop-archway-methodist-3810178

The Explore

Having looked at this a few times with various people, I recently had a look at it with @clebby and @xplorer.x only this time we found a way in.

Nothing overly exciting here but just thought I would document it as I know it’s grabbed a few peoples interest over the years. Especially with it being on the opposite corner to the Archway Campus hospital.

Sadly it’s pretty stripped inside with large chunks of the plaster ceiling having fallen down and other sections held up with timber.

The projection room is long gone and what was left of it is open to the elements.

The main area has an amazing skylight which would have been amazing before it was covered in bird shit.

I will mention that it appears that someone is living in the front half of the building, we stayed out of their way and they stayed out of ours. Although their dinner smelt great.

So not many pics really just something to give an idea of what it once was.

51502770573_992510ee14_c.jpg

51502749098_10e4b94444_c.jpg

51501725522_9dc64f4ff6_c.jpg

51502747618_12fe224d2c_c.jpg

51502770053_b5591b6b2e_c.jpg

51503257434_f1b59c2cc9_c.jpg

51503463155_3757d5feb0_c.jpg

51503448820_a6e5bdabf4_c.jpg

51501734057_32694cb1a1_c.jpg

51502525801_5a10a4e6bb_c.jpg

51503238184_e74470f8b3_c.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
That's some history. Quite funny that people would wander round with towels looking for a pool. But understandable I suppose if there was that many tiled areas. The building really does have that cinema appearance, and the main hall looks like a theatre too. Quite a surprise to many I expect, when they discovered it was a Methodist hall. I wonder why they didn't read the signs outside!

Shame so much has gone, so I take it the shelter below has also gone or none accessible?

Anyway nice report, love the history and the main hall although shagged has some nice designs in the walls & some detail left on the ceiling. :thumb

mockney reject

Staff member
That's some history. Quite funny that people would wander round with towels looking for a pool. But understandable I suppose if there was that many tiled areas. The building really does have that cinema appearance, and the main hall looks like a theatre too. Quite a surprise to many I expect, when they discovered it was a Methodist hall. I wonder why they didn't read the signs outside!

Shame so much has gone, so I take it the shelter below has also gone or none accessible?

Anyway nice report, love the history and the main hall although shagged has some nice designs in the walls & some detail left on the ceiling. :thumb

we didnt check the basement area as we didnt want to encroach on the guy living there, the only bi tof basement we did see was a scruffy plant room

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Liking the history on the place. Would have been quite an impressive place back in the day.

Seffy

Staff member
Isn't this the one we looked at with you just before lockdown #1?

Koshka Hedonia

28DL Member
28DL Member
Good work! Ever since moving to the area in 2010 I've always daydreamed about getting in here but it's very *public* on the gyratory system.

Glad to see you did the good work for us! A lil bit of a let down inside but definitely worth the explore.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Good to see the inside. Looked at this with a few people myself in the past but always seemed well secured.

ValorosulGigel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
we didnt check the basement area as we didnt want to encroach on the guy living there, the only bi tof basement we did see was a scruffy plant room
Damn right he is living in there.I live 2 mins away from the place so i decided to go in there.
Really hard to get in but defined the most fun entrance ever!!
Anyways,the guy seems to have expanded upstairs aswell.
Had lights and heating,has his socks hanged up on wires and uses random stuff at decoration.
Didn’t take any pictures of it,but i did take videos,I’ll just screenshot the video to show u guys.

92A8C158-3D56-4C26-8980-38FB9327AFBA.png

A158D47E-C4A3-4792-8EB4-72F87E0ECE44.png

8D3D8528-4C97-4591-BC81-F34E5F49407A.png

I opened a door and a burst of heat hit my face, saw a couch and what looked like a working tv, but not 100% sure about the tv.
U can see his clothes hanged up on the hanger.
As soon as i felt the warm room we got away from that room, knew someone was living here but now im sure of it.
Downstairs he even had a router for internet!!
Along with a camera recording system…

64F6C80A-FA6E-4980-92BF-9660E6FF5C03.png

0AB26CCC-BA60-4608-B756-51DBD8E480C7.jpeg

A0C3F81C-CF4B-4601-9E1A-FF4457AFFEE7.jpeg

07FFEDF7-FFF2-493E-88C1-656D36307AB6.jpeg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Damn right he is living in there.I live 2 mins away from the place so i decided to go in there.
Really hard to get in but defined the most fun entrance ever!!
Anyways,the guy seems to have expanded upstairs aswell.
Had lights and heating,has his socks hanged up on wires and uses random stuff at decoration.
Didn’t take any pictures of it,but i did take videos,I’ll just screenshot the video to show u guys.

92A8C158-3D56-4C26-8980-38FB9327AFBA.png

A158D47E-C4A3-4792-8EB4-72F87E0ECE44.png

8D3D8528-4C97-4591-BC81-F34E5F49407A.png

I opened a door and a burst of heat hit my face, saw a couch and what looked like a working tv, but not 100% sure about the tv.
U can see his clothes hanged up on the hanger.
As soon as i felt the warm room we got away from that room, knew someone was living here but now im sure of it.
Downstairs he even had a router for internet!!
Along with a camera recording system…

64F6C80A-FA6E-4980-92BF-9660E6FF5C03.png

0AB26CCC-BA60-4608-B756-51DBD8E480C7.jpeg

A0C3F81C-CF4B-4601-9E1A-FF4457AFFEE7.jpeg

07FFEDF7-FFF2-493E-88C1-656D36307AB6.jpeg
Wow he has been there a fair few years now. Good to know hes doing ok.

Who has read this thread (Total: 273) View details