real time web analytics
Report - - Arghi Barghi (River Bollin Culvert) – Macclesfield – August 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Arghi Barghi (River Bollin Culvert) – Macclesfield – August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
After checking out Flushed Away with @concreteJungle in the summer, it would have been wrong not to have paid a quick visit to the nearby underground tourist attraction that is Arghi Barghi. Named after the large furniture shop close to the culvert outfall.

It’s nothing particularly amazing but a nice easy subterranean mooch save for the climbing of a small waterfall just downstream from the infall.
Photos are in the order of upstream to downstream with a few shots looking back from the direction of travel.

To the west a small stream joins the river and next to this is a pair of grilled sewer overflows heavily encrusted with wet wipes and jamrags. Judging by the size of these overflows there must be a reasonably sized CSO chamber close by that is still waiting to be explored.
How this compares to Flushed Away is still unknown, but these twin overflows are not much smaller.
It would have been much more helpful if the ladder you can see was located behind the grille rather than in front of it!

The culvert downstream from this point is a quite a bit longer than the first section and soon passes below the railway station.

Despite what is painted on the bridge carrying the road called ‘Waters Green’, the water is not very deep, at least during regular dry weather flows.

Before long we reach the outfall which emerges below the Silk Road next to the railway line which appears to a popular place for loiterers to congregate.

Mondeo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice report,

Shame to see the door looks blocked up now, never did manage to get into the old walkway,

M.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Do you know anything about the tunnels around there? I read in a local paper recently that there was once a castle of some sorts where the town hall is now and there were a series of tunnels leading into it. Some guy from an antiques store got his hands on a set of keys that were once for access to the tunnels. Not sure how true any of it is to be fair but sounded interesting :)

Mondeo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Do you know anything about the tunnels around there? I read in a local paper recently that there was once a castle of some sorts where the town hall is now and there were a series of tunnels leading into it. Some guy from an antiques store got his hands on a set of keys that were once for access to the tunnels. Not sure how true any of it is to be fair but sounded interesting :)

I know a bit,

The castle is actually under M&S in the town centre, the keys were found when they were moving blocks or laying foundation for m&s, the antique shop was on park lane, however it has been gone a while,

The king's Goal is still in the town centre, however I have never been inside,

Underneath the 3 mobile store, the basement is old and has arched areas blocked off,

Walking down past M.A.S.H on the steep hill, there is a pub called 'The Castle' this has (or rather had) a priests tunnel linking up to the church at the market place,

Underneath the town hall (next to the church) it is alleged that there are tunnels running under the town, down chestergate towards The Bate Hall (oldest p.h in Macclesfield)

Towards West park and the hospital is both Kings School (Boys) which is currently being developed into housing and Sainsbury's which is in the old infirmary, it is alleged again, that there are tunnels running from under here (now blocked) up towards what was Parkside Asylum (now apartments) this one is said to run under West Park (I know there was access to something in the park near the Sainsbury's entrance) and I have been told of an area a friend used to go into that was an old tunnel,

From my teens, I know there were (blocked now) tunnels running under the Asylum, however access can still be acquired into a small area of them.

That's about all I know,

M.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
TheVicar,
Nice to see whats under there, nicely covered.
Since small ive always pronounced it argi be-argi LOL.
Certainly a lot cleaner than I was expecting.
When you say 'waters green' i presume you meant 'water deep'? Lol.

Mondeo,
I didn't know macc had such a history, its certainly fallen into harder times of late with the homeless pitching tents in the middle of the shopping areas and most of the shops now closed. Some areas are a lot nicer than others for sure and it seems whereas the centre is falling by the wayside the outer parts are thriving.
Im going to have a look into the castle and its tunnels, thanks for the info, very interesting.

Who has read this thread (Total: 198) View details