real time web analytics
Report - - Ashley Road Deep Shelter Epsom - Surrey - July 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ashley Road Deep Shelter Epsom - Surrey - July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The shelter is situated under a wooded and triangular plot of land, between 4-5 acres in size, on the west side of Ashley Road. Past researchers have been unable to find out for certain who the original owner was, but it was believed to be 'a lady at Durdans', which implies Lady Sybil Grant, the daughter of Lord Rosebery. We will return to that later, since it is relevant to the mystery surrounding the shelter's beginnings.

The official version says that the land was requisitioned by Surrey County Council on 8 February 1941 for the purpose of building a shelter costing £26,658 (about £1.3 million in today's money). Please note for future reference that there is nothing in the reports to suggest that construction had already begun, although this cannot be ruled out. However, it seems unlikely that the Council would have commenced such works before they had purchased the land.

To quote from a report prepared in 1992 by Building Management South East for Property Holdings Thames South, 'The shelter is formed of a grid of tunnels bored and cut into the chalk and flint sub-strata and variously lined with brickwork or metalwork. There are two main ventilation/access shafts, one at the north-east and another at the north-west corner of the shelter (these have been capped in concrete for safety reasons), and a further shaft rises centrally from the north end (no visible surface opening).' There was also a metal-capped shaft at the south end.

'The entrance tunnel and all tunnel intersections are brick lined and the remaining tunnels are lined with either open mesh or galvanised corrugated iron sheeting, supported on various types of steel-sectioned portal frames.'

The Explore
Visited with @Porker of the night . My oh my was this a stubborn old girl, the rewards were mighty fine, quite possibly the best kept deep shelter I have ever laid my eyes upon. This was a multiple f*ck pig of trips before we waved our magic wand and appeared inside, but persistence and determination paid off. We were down there for a good few hours.

On to the pictures

4%20copy_zpsrn4tyazn.jpg

1%20F_zps13awpbpf.jpg

2%20F_zpsiojhafa5.jpg

3%20F_zpsqcaagjcr.jpg

5%20F_zpsvfzu16n6.jpg

4%20F_zps002b2cs9.jpg

7%20F_zpsxdyubx2v.jpg

8%20F_zpst5mkm7tw.jpg

11%20F_zpszg0xxq0g.jpg

12%20F_zps6vwacje4.jpg

13%20F_zpsjir8ce48.jpg

16%20F_zpsjqepaygd.jpg

17%20F_zpshygdrowb.jpg

14%20F_zpszbzze9wg.jpg

15%20F_zpsylqdums9.jpg

18%20F_zpssv94bu4p.jpg

17. @Porker of the night
19%20F_zpsln5vtllr.jpg

18. @Porker of the night (left) and me (right) Not that it needs explaining!
Deep%20shelter_zpsx6ttgpzi.jpg

Cheers for having a ganders :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Brilliant. So much for it being converted into a data centre

Last i read it was going to be a gold store.gave them a ring a few years back even after the massive flood and they said they where still in business..seems not

Nice report mate been busy aint yer

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Same - I'd heard about the gold store idea. I live in hope of getting into a deep shelter and finding a pile of gold there but I guess it's not going to happen

Nice work mate

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought this was still being used by the air soft guys? It's a lot better than I expected in there, nice work guys :thumb

Cheers fella :thumb and since the flood of the shelter back a couple of years ago they stopped in there and moved to a site in Dorking, that and someone, they believe to be their own guys broke in a couple of years back and stole all of the air soft guns and a generator.

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Last i read it was going to be a gold store.gave them a ring a few years back even after the massive flood and they said they where still in business..seems not

Nice report mate been busy aint yer

Cheers mate :thumb The last few months have been very busy for us, many more on the back burner all ready to post, always a good thing!