real time web analytics
Report - - Auxiliary Unit Observation Post - Great Limber, Lincs -24/3/08 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Auxiliary Unit Observation Post - Great Limber, Lincs -24/3/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

L

lightening51gxx

There were supposedly several in the area, I chose to search for two that were relatively close together. This was the first one I found

a1.jpg

Picture059-1.jpg

Im not sure if the hatch covers are original or a later replacement. It was very fragile and rotted. (Please take note if visiting)

Picture061.jpg

On entry was an L shaped tunnel (each arm of the L being about 20 feet long) which lead down three steps into to the first corrugated iron roofed room, with a pipe leading to the surface (possibly for radio areal?)

Picture063.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Picture067.jpg

The main stanton type shelter lead off from this, slightly offset from the tunnel, with the entry hatch at the far end.

Picture065.jpg

Up to entry hatch

Picture072.jpg

View from the main shelter back up to the stairs

Picture066.jpg

The second hatch cover. There had been some wooden debris thrown down the shaft.

Picture068.jpg

The shelter was in very good condition for its age. With little or no sign of vandalism. I hope it remains so. I replaced both covers before departing to look for the the next one.

I searched for quite some time for the second base nearby, without success. I did spot this hidden in a hedge in the area.

Picture076.jpg

Picture075.jpg

An ammo box dated 1942. So I must have been close.

A very enjoyable, if somewhat cold day out. One thing I learnt is not to leave your sunglasses on the surface when going into a tunnel, as when you come out and are dazzled by the bright sunlight, its quite easy to tread on them (RIP 1 x Raybans:mad:)

Pete

Rs2000turbo

28DL Member
28DL Member
Was in the area the other week but unfortunately could not find any.
I wounder if a metal detector might help?

Attachments

• 20201110_205043.jpg
    20201110_205043.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
A lot could have happened in 12 years since this was posted, a metal detector should pick up the tin corregation but the hatches could be quite rotten by now and have a thick covering of mulch on top so be careful you don't suddenly drop into one.
The hatches look nailed together so you might pick the nails up easier but there may also be lots of used shell casings/shot covering the site.

Rs2000turbo

28DL Member
28DL Member
Yes that's the problem 12 years and lots of debris on the floor also looks like there has been some heavy machinery doing some logging.
20201110_205043.jpg