real time web analytics
Report - - Ayton Monument Mine, Great Ayton, Cleveland June 2015 | Mines and Quarries | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ayton Monument Mine, Great Ayton, Cleveland June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome work guys - this is one that's on my list. I'm led to believe there IS another entrance to this one but really not 100% sure. If you fancy sending me a bit more info on your entrance by PM, I'd be very grateful.

caiman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm going to guess that was abandoned a lot more recently than 1931 - maybe it was more recently used as an access to maintain those pipes. They would have been for water in and out and compressed air.

Excellent set of pics, and it's a pity that bad air did not allow you to go further in. But, gases take no prisoners, so that was a good call.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
I'm going to guess that was abandoned a lot more recently than 1931 - maybe it was more recently used as an access to maintain those pipes. They would have been for water in and out and compressed air.

Excellent set of pics, and it's a pity that bad air did not allow you to go further in. But, gases take no prisoners, so that was a good call.

can only go by what i read online and what i was told by the person i explored it with who has been there 3 times. But thanks for that.... will do a bit more reading up on it! :)
Yes, can imagine i would have ventured further in, with correct equipment... but a camera and torch wasnt exactly sufficient! I'll leave it to the more experienced dudes to explore it further :)

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IMG_0590.jpg

One of my shots from a very brief visit this afternoon: took far longer to find the entrance than I actually spent in the mine as one of my lights failed after just a few minutes and I managed to leave my Altair in the car ..... this is inside the westernmost main drift after working my way across from the ventilation drift that now forms the way in.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
IMG_0590.jpg

One of my shots from a very brief visit this afternoon: took far longer to find the entrance than I actually spent in the mine as one of my lights failed after just a few minutes and I managed to leave my Altair in the car ..... this is inside the westernmost main drift after working my way across from the ventilation drift that now forms the way in.

wow! full report incoming i hope?
awesome pic

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Need a couple more visits before I'll have enough to put a report together. Charged all my light batteries tonight so will try and get over one night this week.

SecretSquirrel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As with all ironstone mines, you need a gas meter here.

Conditions change in there dependant on weather conditions and places that are fine one day could get you into some serious trouble another day.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
As with all ironstone mines, you need a gas meter here.

Conditions change in there dependant on weather conditions and places that are fine one day could get you into some serious trouble another day.

Thanks for that advice, :thumbwe didnt venture too far in for exactly those reasons... i was looking at the dangers associated with ironstone mines in particular a few weeks ago. i have been looking at purchasing a gas monitor today so that i can venture further into these awesome places.
Cheers,
cat.