real time web analytics
Report - - B&R Joint Counties Asylum / Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth – December 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - B&R Joint Counties Asylum / Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth – December 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The hospital was designed by Messrs Giles, Gough and Trollope of London in a ‘compact arrow’ design and was built at a cost of £126,000. It was opened on March 18th 1903 by the Rt. Hon. Lord Glanusk. The asylum was designed to be self-sufficient and had its own private water, electricity, heating and sewerage systems as well as a considerable agricultural estate on which able-bodied patients worked to produce food for the hospital. As well as residential wards, the hospital had a large recreation and dining hall, kitchens and workshops.

The hospital closed in 2000 with parts of it being used as a business park post-closure. By 2009 following the closure of the last of the businesses, the site was up for sale. Recently, the site has been purchased by a property developer.

Much more detailed information and history can be found here on the splendid County Asylums site;

https://www.countyasylums.co.uk/mid-wales-hospital-talgarth/

I’m not sure the forum needs another Talgarth report, but here it is anyway. Yes, there is still shit over all the bait entry points and no, I didn't meet the angry little Welsh sod.

Admin

Main hall

Nurses accommodation block

Wards

Engineering, boiler house, wards 7 & 8 annexe and misc

Thanks for looking!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I loved this place. Jesus though 10yrs have passed since I was there. The place is looking more like denbigh with every report.

Does anyone know what the story is with the clock tower? What happened to the clock faces...

Great report!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
This was April 2010 so must have been yoinked after that. Unreal that someone would do that.

BC90A4B4-AD8D-41BB-B115-2C67DB5B1196.jpeg

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Gone by October according to @tumbles https://www.whateversleft.co.uk/asylums/mid-wales-hospital-talgarth-7

Drew Pritchard would pay a fortune for something like that

It got pinched around June 2010 iirc - whoever took it out knew what they were doing. There wasn't a single mark on the frame. Solid bronze, even just for scrap value it was worth an absolute fortune. Surprised someone didn't come back and nick the clock faces to go with it. Defo a professional who knew what it was worth and how to get it out. My biggest regret was at the start of 2010 the power was still on in admin and didn't think to replace the bulbs in the clock and get a mint shot of it lit up. I seem to recall there is a tale of the clock at Denbigh being nabbed and now to be found on a big country estate in Cheshire.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
P.S lovely photos. I wonder if the locals are regretting objecting to any planning being passed here. Every day that goes past its just getting towards the whole lot inc admin being demo'd.

Who has read this thread (Total: 194) View details