real time web analytics
Report - - Baddersley ensor quarry house - July 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Baddersley ensor quarry house - July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This building or buildings have been recorded on other sites.

Its believed the site was an old sandstone quarry.

A bit odd as its not been worked much and why build a building out of the material you're quarrying. Others have said it was a giant ice house. I'm not sure I agree with that also. Its certainly an oddity.

No one over the years of visting it has come up with any hard or fast history either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Fixed the photos for you, have a look at this thread for how to post a report.

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fixed the photos for you, have a look at this thread for how to post a report.

Yeh long time since i've posted

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
If it is a quarry it makes total sense to use the material you are quarrying because then you don’t need to bring any materials in .

I have visited 2 ice houses before both went deep underground as it obviously needs to be cold for the ice ,if you have photos apart from the building might help you out to see if it was a actual quarry?

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If it is a quarry it makes total sense to use the material you are quarrying because then you don’t need to bring any materials in .

I have visited 2 ice houses before both went deep underground as it obviously needs to be cold for the ice ,if you have photos apart from the building might help you out to see if it was a actual quarry?

The space you see from the side angle is it in terms of a quarry.

Icehouse they're usually much smaller in volume in height inside. This building is pretty big inside. More like a stone storage shed minus doors.

The smaller building across from the main building is much longer and not very tall more like an icehouse. However, this building has over the years deteriorated and one corner of the roof has caved in.

I hadn't been to the site for a few years before i took these photos in 2012. I have visited again briefly in 2019 but had no equipment with me as i wanted to explore a window in the corner of the big room (looks like a hut extension in the corner) there is a door way but i think theres been a collapse. So i was going to get some better lights and look through the little port hole window and see what transpires.

There's another door way not shown in photos but there is a photo from inside it and i think theres been a partial collapse there or crud thrown in. Again I needed extra lighting to look in and I had none with me at the time.

Interesting spot its a good distance from anything.

There's a farm house 1/2 mile towards the top of the field and theres some 50's / 60's houses and bungalows on the top road to the left but thats it.

The old village of Baxterlly is a good distance away.

Even a local County site has little to say about it but does provide earlier pictures of it (2).

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I looked at the guide with the exception of previews which didn't seem happy I've followed the flow. Odd? It was from smartphone mind you. I'll make sure I follow the steps rigidly next time.
Ermmmm thats the issue no one seems to really know even a local I spoke to. I guess they could have quarried the area it sits in out then built these buildings from the remainder material.

Theres no direct tracks past or present to it or if there was they're well hidden.

whatsinaname

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is what a Warwickshire site has to say about it.

I couldn't see the evidence of the 4 adits when I visted nor the last time I visted around 2019 as the wooded area is much thicker now.

Nor did I see any evidence of a steam winding system.

I don't know of any limestone in this area either its sandstone and granite area with deep and surface coal.

The remains of a sandstone block and brick structure found in woodland have been interpreted as a sandstone mine, in operation in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Four adits were identified together with evidence of a steam powered winding mechanism. It is possible that one of the adits had a shaft to the Spirorbis Limestone a few metres below the adit level.