real time web analytics
Report - - Barnsdale tunnel Nov 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barnsdale tunnel Nov 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The longest tunnel nearest to home and after looking on forgotten relics and seeing it was open decided to take a drive up the A1 to explore it. Unfortunately when we found the portal next to the barnsdale bar services, we realised the photos online were out of date and the portal was now clad with big metal doors and evil spikey bars on top so no chance of climbing over or under. Anyway heres the few pics i took that day.

iwllsj.jpg

lurking in the remaining part of the cutting next to the A1 services is the east portal complete with its huge metal gates :(

vwslqo.jpg

looking through the gate into the darkness.

9zx6rc.jpg

what we believe to be the capped top of a ventilation shaft

View attachment 729948
taking a footpath over the top of the tunnel we come across many old spoil piles. somewhere in this area was another capped ventilation shaft but we were unable to find it.

xgf9xh.jpg

The western approach cutting

11snmeq.jpg

western portal. If you look up on the right hand side of the portal youll see a very unrealistic looking camera. The wire goes into the wall but theres no sign of it going anywhere so its probably one of those £3.99 fake jobbies.

Would still love to get into this tunnel so if anyone knows how i'd love to know. drove all the way home to find out my partner in crime had dropped their phone (thank god for phone trackers) so i had to drive all the way back again to rescue it in the dark.

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
... no chance of climbing over or under.
...Would still love to get into this tunnel so if anyone knows how i'd love to know.

I'd climb the east portal (no razor wire) with an etrier. If you don't want to climb it, you're going to have to abseil in from the top. Depends if you think the effort is worth it.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Blimey. They don't want you getting in this one. Gonna cross that one off my list as I'm a wimp ;-)

myke

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
locals somehow keep managing to get cars in and set them on fire (this damages the tunnel which is still maintained) hence the huge concrete blocks barricading it didn't expect the fence staying up long with the locals but it has! the portal near the A1 fence was 12 inch away from the tunnel entrance and you could simply walk around it (took my grand kids threw the tunnel a few years back aged 5 and 7)
Have to say the fencing has now kept me out shame as I like to stroll through.

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks. I like to keep a record of all my exploration.

Anyway, after quite alot of time getting into this tunnel has again crossed my mind. Being as I'm not as nimble as I used to be and not wanting to add to my record, I've gone through the correct channels and contacted the owners direct. Seems entry is possible with confined space training and a big budget.... they want £370ish!!!!

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You're telling me. There's an obvious current air supply all through it as it's open either end so no noxious gases. £371 to open and lock a gate is fuckin daylight robbery. Think I'll go in one night with a ladder and see what happens

danensis

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I walked through that when I was about 12 in the early '60s- cycled there from Doncaster. It's a tunnel. Not a lot to see.