real time web analytics
Report - - Barnsdale Tunnel West Yorkshire Oct 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barnsdale Tunnel West Yorkshire Oct 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Barnsdale tunnel is on the disused Hull and Barnsley Line and is 1,226 yards long with 3 air shafts all capped.The western portal starts in Upton and eastern portal is found adjacent to the northbound service area on the A1 at Barnsdale Bar.
Opened on 20th July 1885, the line through the tunnel closed officially in April 1959, although there had been no regular traffic for several months prior to that. Until 1967, a set of bufferstops remained at the western entrance.
The tunnel remains in a fair condition, has had some patch repairs and repointing.
When walked from the western end to the eastern end just after about half way you find yourself in a strange mist,also nearer the eastern end is a spring called Sharons spring not sure of the history or how it got its name.

WoqUIEpl.jpg

Western portal
l6WheIUl.jpg

eastern portal fenced off
Pd0Jkzql.jpg

Looking back at western portal
YuvliqFl.jpg

One of the many refuges
asePOl2l.jpg

Strange stuff coming through walls
uqd0XAxl.jpg

Creepy mist appears
NcYYRfYl.jpg

Another refuge
ZHA24tyl.jpg

New repair patch
42AcfBGl.jpg

First airshaft from western end
Zua66Jll.jpg

Teddy left in refuge
0WoSb7Ql.jpg

Sharons spring

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You need to change the Title to Barnsdale Tunnel as well mate

Well done on getting in, it"s not been easy here recently since NR decided West Yorkshire Tunnels should be "No Access" areas.

Of all the Railway tunnels i"ve done this ones probably the most boring, with limited Calcite & Ochre deposits to make it more interesting photographically.

Unfortunately your pics are pretty :turd TBH. It could be 50yds long rather than a near 1 mile long Tunnel? all funny angles and crops & the first 2 pics are basically identical. Hopefully you"ll try & hold the I-Phone or whatever level next time? & things can only improve ;)

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Have to agree. Good to have got in and teddy is interesting. But you could use a better phone cam kk m8ty

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Good effort getting out and exploring something :thumb Have to disagree with the above as the photos may not be magazine quality, but they do show you got in and had a good time. As far as I'm aware 28DL is an exploring forum, not a photography or photo critique forum. @ACID- REFLUX at least he could be bothered to put a report up :p

Look forward to the next report, getting out is the main thing, photos are what you can get or take, not everyone is David Bailey :D

Last edited:

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Lol @The Lone Ranger I have to agree. I was never great on photographs. And have also said it's the explore. But nice pics do help. It's allways nice to see beautiful shots. But getting in and seeing stuff should be the main thing. But I did get stick for crap pics on my earlier stuff (Heck still do lol). But you did get to see it and the teddy pic is interesting. Kinda curious why it's there. And would have liked a shot down tunnel. But first and second pic same. Not sure why lol. Hey in the end you will get there. At least you posted something. Some just sit around for ages then post a acsess please message lol. Have a like for at least getting out there. Pics not best but suppose you got in and that's what matters

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Nice to see this again :thumb
After hearing it had new 'defences', I thought I wouldn't see it on the forums for a few years. So top job on getting in.
Your pics aren't great, but neither are mine. You'll improve with practice and you'll learn new techniques like light painting.
Bring on the next report :thumb

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Good effort this.
visited myself a few years back, and heard it had been sealed since.

don't worry about the photography side; you will improve with time and practice

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good effort getting out and exploring something :thumb Have to disagree with the above as the photos may not be magazine quality, but they do show you got in and had a good time. As far as I'm aware 28DL is an exploring forum, not a photography or photo critique forum. @ACID- REFLUX at least he could be bothered to put a report up :p

Look forward to the next report, getting out is the main thing, photos are what you can get or take, not everyone is David Bailey :D

If thats directed my way ? I never realised anyone wanted me to post some new reports up :eek: going off the lack of comments from the high and mighty gang who view them :Not Worthy anyway

I thought the idea these days was not to post stuff & concentrate on how many Flickr likes/wanks you could get off other like minded egotistical people :wanker

Not that I've joined that Club ;)

You don't need to be David Bailey to hold a camera or phone level or actually try to show it's a Tunnel that you're in . I'm well aware it's not a Photography Forum and I didn't comment on the quality of the pics just the composition ,which is easily addressed and would have made the report 100% better.

Wappy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
did put two of the same portal up by mistake changed it now.I know there not the best pics it was at night aswell but am sure they will get better

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Mmmm Flickr love me a good flick of the cli*. Lol anyhow grabbing me the good old popcorn for the fun and games lmfao. In the words of a cracking film " Can't we all just get along " lol. Oh and ya pics will get better. Didn't realise it was night cause the portal looks daylight. But inside would have been dark anyways so wouldn't have mattered much ethier way. Just a good torch bit of the old light painting etc but with a phone that is a lot harder possible but hard. Ethier way you deffo will get there

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
:thumb
If thats directed my way ? I never realised anyone wanted me to post some new reports up :eek: going off the lack of comments from the high and mighty gang who view them :Not Worthy anyway

20 reports, but 2377 comments! Possibly time to get out and put another report up. At least Wappy managed that and sure his next report will be a lot better with all the helpful advice he has received :thumb